TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Front license plate

Discussion in 'Model X: Interior & Exterior' started by volkerbradley, Sep 30, 2015.

1. volkerbradley

volkerbradley Member

Do you know how a licence plate can be installed on the front of the Model X?
    Thanks

2. scottm

scottm Active Member

You bet, two screws.

Luckily, no fronts required where I live. We don't screw here.

3. volkerbradley

volkerbradley Member

There are devices that make it possible to add a license plate to the front of the Model S without putting any screws into the body. Included is a picture of one of these devices from Torklift Central.
    I was just wondering if there is a similar grill on the front of the Model X as there is on the Model S.
    License plate holder.jpg

4. Hugh Mannity

Hugh Mannity Mediocre Member

LOL !!

volkerbradley - nobody knows where the plate can be mounted yet; the radar/camera's sensors are likely clear of the centre of the bumper but we'll have to wait and see how/where it can be mounted

5. volkerbradley

volkerbradley Member

It has been a while since anyone discussed this. Has anyone attached the front license plate to the Model X without drilling into the body?

6. Mark Z

Mark Z Active Member

There is an older thread on the subject for Model X: Is it too soon or too late to ask about a front lic. plate

Some of my suggestions in that thread would only be for vehicles that are parked.

The thread ends with suggesting a tow hook license plate mount. That may require working with existing companies that have not created a solution yet for Model X. The tow hook cover is another concern, as there is a very good reason to have the tow hook cover in place at all times. If the cover was cut to accommodate a plate holder, I would want a new cover to use when the plate is not mounted.

Suggestion for Tesla Motors: Two of the three holes needed for the current Tesla Model X license plate holder are in alignment with the parking sensors. I would like Tesla Motors to engineer two new dummy sensor covers for two permanent threaded holes so the painted covers could be removed for the license plate holder. That would allow mounting a newly designed two bolt plate holder for a road trip or semi-permanent use and easy removal of the plate holder to restore the threaded hole covers without damage.

7. salmx

salmx Member

We had the delivery folks install ours and they mounted it center of the front bumper. I was sort of assuming they would not block anything critical. Are there known problems with that location?

8. Mark Z

Mark Z Active Member

Do not be concerned. Nothing is at the center.

The radar is located towards the passenger side according to Tesla Motors diagrams.

9. petfansNetwork

Could you please kindly share a picture of your front plate? Thanks.

10. OTUSPIKE

OTUSPIKE Member

Our MX was delivered to the SC yesterday (Tues 5/3) and asked the DES if the SC techs could mount the front plate bracket for us before we picked the car up on Friday. We had to take our MB CLA250 back to the dealership after delivery because we weren't aware it didn't come with a front plate bracket, so it was an inconvenience we wanted to avoid. The DES immediately advised they'd handle installing the front plate bracket during prep.

11. bikeandsail

bikeandsail Member

Anyone have a photo of the standard front plate mouting?

12. WilliamZ

WilliamZ Member

The question is: Do you really want to put it on the front? I would rather pay the fine.

• Like x 3
  13. WilliamZ

WilliamZ Member

It's not mine. And I'm in my phone and cannot edit well.

Attached Files:

• Informative x 1
  14. WilliamZ

WilliamZ Member

Dear, just got home and ps a little. this is a clear one.

Attached Files:

• Informative x 2
  15. xkwizit

xkwizit Member

Front license plates are ugly and unnecessary.

• Like x 1
  16. Blastphemy

Blastphemy Member

And it's illegal in some states not to have one, no matter what your personal opinion. Sorry.

17. Ryan MF

Ryan MF Member

Well, you know what they say: laws are made to be broken ;)

• Like x 1
  18. xkwizit

xkwizit Member

Right but what purpose was that law made for and does it still hold true in today's conditions?? Laws are made in this country by people like us not a autocratic prince

19. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure this All Out

That sentence has two parts and only the second is worth considering in a more generalized form. Does the front plate have value in today's world. I suspect it probably does, even more so than when it was originally required. For example with all of the cameras recording everything that happens today, it is very conceivable that only a front view of the vehicle could be recorded reasonably. With only a rear license plate you would miss identifying cars. I am sure that there are many other examples too.

Now at some point when every car comes with built in tracking (not sure why this is not actually here yet), the plate does become moot and that space will revert to emptiness or vanity.:)

• Like x 1
  20. bikeandsail

bikeandsail Member

Ez Pass and no front plate?

• Like x 1