Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front license plate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm in the process of ordering an automated license plate hider. There are a # of options. Once I order it and have it installed in next few weeks, I'll post pics. They are very reasonable too. Only like $125-150 plus labor. I don't want to mess up my X front look with a plate on it.
Who are you ordering from? A week ago I could not find a product for the MX.

I'm in the process of ordering an automated license plate hider. There are a # of options. Once I order it and have it installed in next few weeks, I'll post pics. They are very reasonable too. Only like $125-150 plus labor. I don't want to mess up my X front look with a plate on it.

Does the vendor refer you an installer or you are going to look for an installer yourself? Please share. I'm interested in a solution for my font plate too as I live in California which requires front license plate.

Does the vendor refer you an installer or you are going to look for an installer yourself? Please share. I'm interested in a solution for my font plate too as I live in California which requires front license plate.
What is the model you bought? I am determined to go plateless, but if I go to Canada, would need it. Washington State "requires them" but my wife is probably up to a decade without a plate and no tickets. My pickup has a massive winch on front for the last 13 years which is effectively blocking the plate and no ticket.

I do NOT want to plate up the new car.

My buddy who is a mechanic called and spoke with them and they don't see why it won't work. So I ordered it and will have it installed in 1-2 weeks. This is the unit that was ordered. I'll advise and post pics once it's done and any install feedback.

Mustang Flip Down License Plate Holder - Motorized (79-16 All) - Free Shipping

Per who does the install. Mechanic I know is on Long Island, but I know one in White Plains NY that would do it too. I had called a Tesla referred place and they didn't offer it (this was before I found my source). I'm sure if you brought the device they would install it. Keep in mind, I don't know if this will work YET. Once I have the work done, I'll advise.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: petfansNetwork
I went for a couple years without a front plate on my car, and then after they installed cameras on the Toll Roads, I got pulled over to get a fixit ticket for a front plate. The nice officer said that the lanes have cameras to catch both front and rear plates.
If they can read the plates from both front and rear of the vehicle then what is the point if needing the front? Just another way to ticket and make money.

The Mustang flip down did NOT work. Once the X was lifted we realized as one of the other poster wrote, the X has a curved bottom and so no go.

I've since ordered another unit that fits below color front end. So it's in black area and down (I will NOT screw into the colored area and the holder actually uses adhesive not screws on inside and can be easily removed with thumb screws). It's normally used in corvettes. We'll see how that goes. I'll post pics/update once I know how that goes. I'm intentationally not sharing too many details, since people won't read all these posts. In 3-4 weeks, I'll know.

Reactions: jason1466
Here is my X on a lift showing that the underneath front area is curved. Also, due to the plastic, my mechanic buddy didn't want to screw in from underneath and we returned the automatic license plate holder. See attachments.

This ONLY an example. Do NOT buy this. I've ordered this myself as a test and will advise. Game plan is to install in the "vent" area. I purchased a black frame to hide the license plate more.

bracket-c6p.jpg

-Ben

Attachments

• IMG_1697.jpg
    IMG_1697.jpg
    343.8 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_1696.jpg
    IMG_1696.jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_1697.jpg
    IMG_1697.jpg
    343.8 KB · Views: 132

As per Hubby:

1. No time for a write up. It's not rocket science. People will understand once they get to the latter part of the video.
2. I supposedly have to press a button everytime and he know I'll forget. That's the reason for the automatic function with delay timers.
3. Vent area is a no go. He said there is an automatic vent door which open and close depend on the temperature. Better not to mess with it. And if installed too out, it will look funny.

Plate:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001TLLZ4E/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Delay Timer (2x):
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014F8NAWC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

As per Hubby:

1. No time for a write up. It's not rocket science. People will understand once they get to the latter part of the video.
2. I supposedly have to press a button everytime and he know I'll forget. That's the reason for the automatic function with delay timers.
3. Vent area is a no go. He said there is an automatic vent door which open and close depend on the temperature. Better not to mess with it. And if installed too out, it will look funny.

Plate:
Amazon.com: Show N Go Electric Powered License Plate Frame - Shows & Hides Automatically with Remote Key Fobs: Automotive

Delay Timer (2x):
So-myshtech DC 12V LED Display Digital Delay Timer Control Switch Module PLC Automation - - Amazon.com

Hope this helps!

Did you consider installing at the front center under the Tesla logo? Would it fit there? How many hours did it to install? Thanks for sharing the video.

That would be number 3 on the original post: