Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front License Plate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On second thought...where can I get the driver for removing those strange screws holding the license plate bracket on?
You can just use an angled needle nose pliers or vice grips to grab the head. Some people have said they could remove them by hand. Once those are removed, there is heavy duty double sided tape holding the main part of the bracket to the nose.

Amazing that with all the absurd things we get on our ballots in CA through the state proposition process, we haven't managed to get one on there that eliminates the requirement for a front plate. I mean, it certainly is not consistently enforced (I'm going on 20 years without one and never had an issue), but it's frustrating that it could be used as a technical violation at any time. They are silly.

Darn. I remember some people saying on their S they told the service center to not do it. I wonder if you could make a note when you could place your order.

Fronts are required here but I wanted to do it myself.

That's what I did. I bought an inventory model and I told the service center not to mount the plate. They put the mount, screws, frame all in the car for me in a bag in case I ever want to mount it on the front in the future.

• Informative
Reactions: hockeythug
I took delivery of both Model S' in Las Vegas but registered them in Wyoming. Both came with the front plate holder installed but I borrowed the special wrench from the service dept and removed the holders myself. Wyoming requires a front plate unless there is no holder. In that case no front plate is required.

Amazing that with all the absurd things we get on our ballots in CA through the state proposition process, we haven't managed to get one on there that eliminates the requirement for a front plate. I mean, it certainly is not consistently enforced (I'm going on 20 years without one and never had an issue), but it's frustrating that it could be used as a technical violation at any time. They are silly.
For the most part, the necessity of a front plate in California is not enforced and hasn't been for a long time. Generally speaking, if you drive nice you won't be pulled over for no front plate. Just like the maximum speed limit is loosely interpreted to be 10 mph over the posted speed limit. Why codify something through regulation when it appears to be working just fine the way it is? No harm no foul, let sleeping dogs lie, and all those colloquialisms.

Reactions: Vern Padgett

I am surprised that California has not followed Nebraska. They just started this year of giving the option of having a windshield sticker if you don't want a front plate. I almost forgot, that option will cost you $100/year. It seems like something California would do.

I am surprised that California has not followed Nebraska. They just started this year of giving the option of having a windshield sticker if you don't want a front plate. I almost forgot, that option will cost you $100/year. It seems like something California would do.
Oh dear, I don't want a windshield sticker (unless it is the size of a postage stamp) anymore than I want a front license plate.

For the most part, the necessity of a front plate in California is not enforced and hasn't been for a long time. Generally speaking, if you drive nice you won't be pulled over for no front plate. Just like the maximum speed limit is loosely interpreted to be 10 mph over the posted speed limit. Why codify something through regulation when it appears to be working just fine the way it is? No harm no foul, let sleeping dogs lie, and all those colloquialisms.

I disagree, it's either important or it isn't. People say "I've only been ticketed twice in xx years" but that's two times too many for me, because I can't stand having to deal with crap like that. I'm not that picky about the appearance of my car and the mental stress of worrying about it isn't worth it to me, so I have a front license plate on my S and I'll have one on my 3. But it bugs me, because if they don't really care (and they certainly don't seem to care much) they why have the requirement at all?

• Funny
On second thought...where can I get the driver for removing those strange screws holding the license plate bracket on?

For the MS, I was able to remove the screws without the angled pliers. I first removed some of the standard screws and bent the plastic down which created enough space to use snips to cut around those two unique screws. It was then easy to twist those screws out using the little plastic that was still surrounding them. As for the second part that is affixed to the bumper with double-sided tape - use steam. It will peal off so much easier if you do.

20170816_113838.jpg

Tesla was prohibited from removing the license plate holder on the MS - leaving that up to the new owner. This may still be the case. The Model 3 may have been crash tested without the license plate holder and therefore it may be delivered without the holder being attached.

I disagree, it's either important or it isn't. People say "I've only been ticketed twice in xx years" but that's two times too many for me, because I can't stand having to deal with crap like that. I'm not that picky about the appearance of my car and the mental stress of worrying about it isn't worth it to me, so I have a front license plate on my S and I'll have one on my 3. But it bugs me, because if they don't really care (and they certainly don't seem to care much) they why have the requirement at all?
I care about the appearance and it bothers me that we have to have it displayed when there really isn't a good reason for it. In what way does having a license plate make driving a car safer?

I have no idea. Why is there a law at all?

Simple: money

How Many States Require Front License Plates? | News from Cars.com

"A second plate makes it easier to photograph those who run stop signs and red lights, don't pay tolls or drive out of unattended pay garages and parking lots without paying. That adds up to millions of dollars in cost savings and millions more in additional revenue collected."

"If you have two plates and then go down to one, the production costs go down, but it's by cents. We're not even talking about a dollar level, and the price is passed on to the customer. It's not like it's costing the state money because the plate cost is being passed on."​

Simple: money

How Many States Require Front License Plates? | News from Cars.com

"A second plate makes it easier to photograph those who run stop signs and red lights, don't pay tolls or drive out of unattended pay garages and parking lots without paying. That adds up to millions of dollars in cost savings and millions more in additional revenue collected."

"If you have two plates and then go down to one, the production costs go down, but it's by cents. We're not even talking about a dollar level, and the price is passed on to the customer. It's not like it's costing the state money because the plate cost is being passed on."​
I'm going to make a stance and not have a front license plate.

Last edited by a moderator: