Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front License Plate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
wrong, It is not the law in TX or VA for my FLA registered vehicle to have a front tag. FWIW: my son drove his car for four years while in school in TX with his FLA registered vehicle and never was there any question of his legality in doing it. for 6 months upon purchase of my first tesla it had only a rear NJ tag on it because the car was in FLA the entire time and FLA does not require a front tag on a vehicle.

It would be in the great regulatory state of California. Your son would have had to register the car in California, get CA plates, and put both on. There's even an anonymous tattle tale form page on the DMV website for people to tattle on cars with out of state plates but are in CA beyond the prescribed amount of time. The state highway patrol is pretty strict about registration and plates as well since I believe the great bulk (if not all) their budget comes from registration fees (not tickets).

It would be in the great regulatory state of California. Your son would have had to register the car in California, get CA plates, and put both on. There's even an anonymous tattle tale form page on the DMV website for people to tattle on cars with out of state plates but are in CA beyond the prescribed amount of time. The state highway patrol is pretty strict about registration and plates as well since I believe the great bulk (if not all) their budget comes from registration fees (not tickets).
that might be the law for people who are residing in CA, if I am visiting CA, not a resident that law cannot be applied to me. as for the college student I cannot say for certain what the law in CA. is but the laws in most place regard college students as not being full time residents.

that might be for residents who stay in CA for X amount of time, it does not apply to non residents of CA.

How To: Determine Residency/When Fees Are Due on Out-of-State Vehicles (HTVR 33)

For a student going to school here, they almost certainly would fall under the requirements of having to register their plates here. You can try and thread the needle, but practicalities (life and/or financial reasons) make it extremely likely that they'll hit one of those gotchas. CA wants their money.

Note: the issue of whether you actually follow the law and register in CA is a separate issue.

How To: Determine Residency/When Fees Are Due on Out-of-State Vehicles (HTVR 33)

For a student going to school here, they almost certainly would fall under the requirements of having to register their plates here. CA wants their money.
I think you'd better reread that because the way I read is that an out of state resident attending school in CA is NOT considered a resident. I think that you misread the part where it said if the student was paying resident tuition, out state students pay tuition at an out of state rate when attending a state operated university.

For the most part, the necessity of a front plate in California is not enforced and hasn't been for a long time. Generally speaking, if you drive nice you won't be pulled over for no front plate. Just like the maximum speed limit is loosely interpreted to be 10 mph over the posted speed limit. Why codify something through regulation when it appears to be working just fine the way it is? No harm no foul, let sleeping dogs lie, and all those colloquialisms.
Disagree. Remove it from the code and manufacturers can stop putting holders and then everyone in California will get better mileage. Everybody wins!

Disagree. Remove it from the code and manufacturers can stop putting holders and then everyone in California will get better mileage. Everybody wins!
I don't want my car to look like this. The other cars are going to be pointing and laughing.
g3gdmsc.jpg

I think you'd better reread that because the way I read is that an out of state resident attending school in CA is NOT considered a resident. I think that you misread the part where it said if the student was paying resident tuition, out state students pay tuition at an out of state rate when attending a state operated university.

No, we're reading the same thing. It's why I mentioned "financial" reasons and "threading the needle". An out of state student can get in-state tuition after a year. What student is going to tack on tens of thousands of extra dollars of tuition in exchange for keeping his out-of-state license plates?

Like I said, you can thread the needle. However, most situations out there (particularly for students; the job thing is another big one) make it so that you end up going for the situation where you're supposed to register in CA.

I don't know what is unclear about this:

A vehicle must be registered in California if it is based in California or is primarily used on California highways (located or operated in this state for a greater amount of time than any other individual state during the registration period), even if registered to a nonresident owner (CVC §4000.4).

If a student is a resident of another State, they are required to register the car in California (including TWO California license plates) if the car is operated in California more than any other State. Seems both clear and fair to me.

I don't know what is unclear about this:

A vehicle must be registered in California if it is based in California or is primarily used on California highways (located or operated in this state for a greater amount of time than any other individual state during the registration period), even if registered to a nonresident owner (CVC §4000.4).

If a student is a resident of another State, they are required to register the car in California (including TWO California license plates) if the car is operated in California more than any other State. Seems both clear and fair to me.
your interpretation of the law is not correct. another poster sourced the proper info.

I have a 2014 Model S I drive in Illinois. IL requires front license plates, however, the service center asked, before delivery, if I wanted a front plate installed. I said no and bought an aftermarket front plate holder that allows you to remove the front plate. It is sturdy enough to drive with. I live in the suburbs of Chicago. Drive without the plate most of the time except when I am going to park on the streets of Chicago or at Ohare. I was ticketed once while parked overnight int the Ohare parking garage. I don't know the manufacturer of the plate holder, however, I would assume they would make one for the M3.