Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front License plates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in Texas. The law is we have to display a license plate in the front and back of the car. I just bought my model Y. I’ve asked friends of mine who own Teslas if they mounted the front license plate. So far, none of my friends have front license plates on their Teslas. And have never been pulled over for not having one. So what do I do? I don’t want a $200 ticket for missing plates! But the car looks so nice without displaying the plates in the front. Any advise?

To be honest, with over 30 years driving in southern CA and no license plate for the last 25 or so... I've received tickets for window tint multiple times, speeding (in my younger years) more times than I care to say -- not once has any officer commented, let alone ticketed for lack of a front license plate.

I keep the mount for the tesla (stock) in the trunk with the plate should I ever get pulled over, but 90% of all Tesla's I see don't have plates and no one seems to care.

Upvote 0
I live in Texas. The law is we have to display a license plate in the front and back of the car. I just bought my model Y. I’ve asked friends of mine who own Teslas if they mounted the front license plate. So far, none of my friends have front license plates on their Teslas. And have never been pulled over for not having one. So what do I do? I don’t want a $200 ticket for missing plates! But the car looks so nice without displaying the plates in the front. Any advise?
Tesla put lots of thought into the front plate holder's design. I think Model Y looks great with front plates. M3, less so. I used to like being that guy who flaunted the law by not displaying my front plates but now I like to fly under the radar and appear like everyone else. Guess I'm getting old. HOV stickers are the issue for me. Don't want to destroy my MY with those hideously ugly permanent stickers that can't be removed so I'm cheating by attaching them to magnets. ;)

Upvote 0
To be honest, with over 30 years driving in southern CA and no license plate for the last 25 or so... I've received tickets for window tint multiple times, speeding (in my younger years) more times than I care to say -- not once has any officer commented, let alone ticketed for lack of a front license plate.

I keep the mount for the tesla (stock) in the trunk with the plate should I ever get pulled over, but 90% of all Tesla's I see don't have plates and no one seems to care.
I was ticketed for not having a front plate when I parked at LAX when picking up my daughter over a decade ago. I was told they take a picture of the front of each car when entering and automatically ticket VS cars without front plates. There are other threads here that discuss this and identify other cities/facilities that do this. Google also has links to similar threads for other car makes.

Reactions: Tesraki and ucsdsig
Upvote 0

What level tinting got you in trouble? My current car which I got in 2012 I think had the rule of 0% on the windshield, 20% on the front seat windows and I forget if anything for the read windows.

Upvote 0
What level tinting got you in trouble? My current car which I got in 2012 I think had the rule of 0% on the windshield, 20% on the front seat windows and I forget if anything for the read windows.
Technically any level of tint over 90% can get you a ticket (edit: for the front windows). I think I had 35% on front and 20% in the rear, but this was a long time ago and in Ventura County, which seems to have a ticket happy sheriff population.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Technically any level of tint over 90% can get you a ticket. I think I had 35% on front and 20% in the rear, but this was a long time ago and in Ventura County, which seems to have a ticket happy sheriff population.
Yea I think I got my number upside down so to speak. I just looked it up and 70% for the fronts. Anything for the rears and rear sides and only the top part of the windshield.

Upvote 0
0% on the windshield? You paint it black? I had 5% on the top of windshield / rear window and 3% on sides, but that was long ago (now I like seeing at night).

Upvote 0
Enforcement while driving is extremely rate in CA. I've had 2 BMW and now a MY. The first BMW had no front plate at all, never an issue in 11 years. The second was a European delivery, so they insisted on the plateholder in front for Europe (drove it there for 5 weeks), so, since it was there anyway, mounted the front plate. Never an issue :)
Now with the MY I bought a quick bandit, but don't use it (keep in the back with plate on it), except:
*) When stopped for it I will say "Oops, forgot to put it back after car wash, I'll put it right on". That should avoid ticket (regular or fixit)
*) When going to San Francisco will put it on (SF parking enforcement is notorious for ticketing for this), but will avoid going to SF due to an epidemic of Tesla rear triangle windows break-ins.
*) When going into certain parking structures, ditto. There are not many of these enforced ones here
*) May also be a problem in HOV lanes, I'll find out (of course will have transponder and stickers).

BTW. The sticker problem is solved by ordering a cheap PPF kit. Made for the stickers. Stickers go on PPF, PPF on the car (which otherwise doesn't have PPF). Easy removal later on.

Reactions: pepperoni
Upvote 0
If you don't want to have the top of your front bumber damaged when parked in the street,
I stronly recommend using a license guard bumper !!!

Model 3 Profile .jpg

Upvote 0