Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front License plates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in Texas. The law is we have to display a license plate in the front and back of the car. I just bought my model Y. I’ve asked friends of mine who own Teslas if they mounted the front license plate. So far, none of my friends have front license plates on their Teslas. And have never been pulled over for not having one. So what do I do? I don’t want a $200 ticket for missing plates! But the car looks so nice without displaying the plates in the front. Any advise?

If you're in cali, you can get a sticker license plate if you prefer. I got a removeable one simply to improve aerodynamics on long road trips (who knows when those couple of miles may matter!), other than that, I leave it on.

Tesla isnt the only car that looks better without front tags, pretty much EVERY car does. The only reason you see a lot Teslas without them is because Tesla doesnt seem to put them on at delivery (I like that to be honest). I suspect far fewer people would go through the trouble of removing it if it was already installed by Tesla. I also think few people (myself included) didnt want to put on the included bracket because if they put it put on slightly crooked, it would irk them or they just cant be bothered.

I put mine on just to stay compliant, but no hate for those that dont, it does look better (like all other cars) without one. I'm not even 100% sure my car would pass inspection without one.
Mine was delivered with a temp plate in the rear and that was it. I just received my perm plates (two weeks after temp plates expired) and don't play on drilling or sticking on the front plate. I don't park on streets often and in this area police cannot (and will not) pull you over for not having just a front plate missing.

Upvote 0
I am in a state that also requires front plates. I also want a no drill setup, but the problem with the Bandit/SnapPlate/Slipstream is if someone backs into you there is a risk of damaging the front grill where these plates attach to $$$. I may have no choice but to use the included Tesla adhesive mount.

Upvote 0
I am in a state that also requires front plates. I also want a no drill setup, but the problem with the Bandit/SnapPlate/Slipstream is if someone backs into you there is a risk of damaging the front grill where these plates attach to $$$. I may have no choice but to use the included Tesla adhesive mount.
No so with the SnapPlate. In the event of minor bump or collision, vandalism SnapPlate is designed to cleanly break away so that the grill of the vehicle is not damaged.

Upvote 0
Google License plate wrap.

The sticker license plate does look intriguing. I haven’t seen any on the road yet.
In fact, I saw it first in Santa Clara, and chatted with the gentleman who chatted it up. Ordered it as soon as I was assigned a plate number (you can get your plate number before it’s mailed… forgot how though). White plate on white is sublime. Since my early Model Y has radar I simply used the factory plate holder as a guide along with 3M blue painter tape, and landed the decal perfectly. The person who runs the operation is a weekend warrior so by now he’s probably doing this full time is an outstanding person as he contacted me via email to confirm my details before committing the print job. The newer Model 3/Y doesn’t have radar, but please all try to mount it where it should be. There is nothing more distracting than seeing an approach sibling Y with a license plate riding high. Functionally the sticker license withstands all machine car washes (you know the rotating brush ones that supposed to ruin the paint!), keeps the front end aerodynamics, and is one less thing for my garage door to chop off (I back into my garage) or some vandal stepping on (even if it’s my own kids).

Upvote 0
[...] Ordered it as soon as I was assigned a plate number (you can get your plate number before it’s mailed… forgot how though). [...]
@SoundDaTrumpet if you remember, please let me know. With a traditional dealership you could have your salesperson let you know or periodically ping them and ask them to check if a license plate number has been assigned. Which is what I did on my previous EVs.

Upvote 0
For CA, there’s a company https://licenseplatewrap.com/ that sells DMV-authorized stick-on “wrap” front plates. In most of CA, it’s rare to be ticketed for not having a front plate, but I decided to be legal. Works great on my car.

I have it. You ordered the day I got the plates. I’ve even moved it to my new car. They handled all the transfer with DMV and without any extra cost. I used PPF so it was easy to move from one car to another. Otherwise they can’t be removed without damage.

Upvote 0
Ordered it as soon as I was assigned a plate number (you can get your plate number before it’s mailed… forgot how though).

In my case they insisted I wait until I received the actual plates and send them a photo. I don’t remember if that was mentioned as a requirement when I ordered two years ago or not. But I also have custom plates so that may have had something to do with it too. It wasn’t a style they had on their website so I might have been the first with that style. Who knows. Either way I had to wait till the plates came in.

Upvote 0
I would recommend the SnapPlate. I'm in Texas also and don't like the idea of driving without the front plate. We have regular speed traps in my area and I don't want to give the police any reason to pull me over. I had an issue with my front parking sensors going off when driving and the SnapPlate guys were very helpful in getting that addressed. I've not had any issues with their product and I have taken it on a couple of road trips with no issues. I like the easy on/off but would recommend using the security screw to insure no one can easily remote it.

Upvote 0