Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front License plates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in Texas. The law is we have to display a license plate in the front and back of the car. I just bought my model Y. I’ve asked friends of mine who own Teslas if they mounted the front license plate. So far, none of my friends have front license plates on their Teslas. And have never been pulled over for not having one. So what do I do? I don’t want a $200 ticket for missing plates! But the car looks so nice without displaying the plates in the front. Any advise?

Yea I am in California and am amazed at how many cars that don't have front plates. I will probably get one those mentioned above and just keep it in the Trunk/Frunk in case of emergency and just say I forgot to put it back on after a car wash.
Yep that is what I did - unfortunately I got rear ended and it crushed my removable front plate that I had in on of the side compartment of the rear trunk. But once I get my new Y all do the same.

Reactions: 73Bruin
Upvote 0
I'm fine with front plates but did not desire the central mustache look. Instead, I purchased the tow hook mount from here: Tesla 20-21 Model Y License Plate Holder
I bent the bracket inward a bit so that it would sit more flush, and it could go a little further until it risks rubbing. It takes some effort to tighten it down to where it doesn't budge, as the tow shaft and attachment bolt are threaded in opposite directions. After a touchless wash it did start to trip the parking sensor until I adjusted the height again, trying to keep it visibly level, so keep in mind the clearance is sensitive. I'll see how it works in the long term.

IMG_20220305_1454102.jpg
IMG_20220305_1453562.jpg

Upvote 0
I'm fine with front plates but did not desire the central mustache look. Instead, I purchased the tow hook mount from here: Tesla 20-21 Model Y License Plate Holder
I bent the bracket inward a bit so that it would sit more flush, and it could go a little further until it risks rubbing. It takes some effort to tighten it down to where it doesn't budge, as the tow shaft and attachment bolt are threaded in opposite directions. After a touchless wash it did start to trip the parking sensor until I adjusted the height again, trying to keep it visibly level, so keep in mind the clearance is sensitive. I'll see how it works in the long term.

View attachment 777272View attachment 777273
If you’re going to mount a front plate, at least center it. You see the tow hook plates a lot on BMWs and Subarus. Am I the only one who can’t stand the off centered look?

Reactions: 73Bruin
Upvote 0
If you’re going to mount a front plate, at least center it. You see the tow hook plates a lot on BMWs and Subarus. Am I the only one who can’t stand the off centered look?
+1

I prefer a centered front plate too. Ordered the Slipstream Bracket after much research. Did want something solid and not just 3D printed parts. I’ll post some pics when I get it but it has 3-4 weeks lead time.

Upvote 0
I am curious why Tesla owners are avoiding the bracket that comes with the car. I’m seeing recommendations for Quick Bandit, SnapPlate, and Slipstream, all of which appear to clip on to the grill and cost well over $100. I can understand if someone wants to be able to remove their plate, but other than that, what is the reason?
The only reason I purchased and installed the quick bandit on my Model Y is, I hate the looks of a front plate, especially on the Teslas (they really don't have a specific location, like a lot of other cars, for where the front plates should go), so by using the Quick Bandit, I can easily put the plate on, or, if going to, say, Caras and Coffee or somewhere else, it's easy to remove and toss in the back.

Also, the entire front of my car has been clear bra'd... attaching double adhesive tape to mount a license plate holder, if in the future I want to remove it, it could easily damage the clear bra, and in any case, the Quick Bandit literally takes five seconds to install/remove... why would I want to mess around with a hair dryer or risk damage to my car?

The guy who installed the clear bra even told me that once the HOA stickers come in, to bring in my car, and he'll install the stickers to a small, cut out piece of clear bra film, and then install THAT to my rear bumper, as the HOA stickers have been known to damage the paint of Tesla's and other cars he's worked on.

Funny thing is, my brother-in-law was in town, from Dallas, and upon seeing my Model Y for the first time, with the Quick Bandit, first thing he said was "wow... I don't think I've ever seen a Tesla with the front license plate installed"....

Next day, off it came!

Reactions: Notadog
Upvote 0
I have a question: Will they drill the bumper and mount the license plate by default? How do you guys prevent them from doing this and tell them that you are going to provide your own license plate mounting method? Thanks.
In California, Tesla doesn't drill anything for the front plate. They include a plastic front mounting frame, with double adhesive tape, tossed in the back of your vehicle for you to use or ignore at your pleasure.

As for other regions, I have no idea, but I haven't ever heard of Tesla pre-drilling the front bumper to install a license plate, unlike other manufacturers...

By the way... the Quick Bandit is very well made, and comes with a security screw, with a strange shaped head and a specific tool you need to install/remove the security screw. After you've installed the Quick Bandit, if you're worried about someone stealing it... simply put in the included screw, using the included screw driver tool, and then toss the screw driver tool into your glovebox!

Quick Bandit cannot be removed until/unless you remove the security screw... very cleaver design! (this is in answer to a previous post)

• Helpful
Upvote 0
When I bought my Corvette here in Texas, after moving from Italy, i faced the same dilemma, front plate or not? Then I realized I didn't want to give HPD a free reason for pulling me, other than other common reasons when you come from Europe and you discover muscle cars...so I mounted front plate holder on the lower grill, no drill, and I was ok with it.

Upvote 0
No, the car wasn't visibly designed with the front plate in mind (whereas my last three cars where it was obnoxiously molded into the bumper despite living in a no-front-plate state at the time). By nature of this thread, everyone seems to agree that installing the front plate is a concern. By placing it off to the side, which you find an eyesore, I find it no longer interrupts the design of the front of the car, unlike other cars where it may jut out and block vents or other details.

Upvote 0
I’m curious about this too. I’m to install ppf on my front bumper.

Any have experience with this:?
Ottoplate Tesla Model Y (Flush OEM) Fast Release Front License Plate Bracket
Anyone have experience with using the Tesla provided adhesive plate holder over PPF and ceramic?
My memory may be failing me, but I remember reading somewhere that the adhesive won't work well if your bumper has ceramic. It will work with PPF, but others have expressed concern that the adhesive could damage the PPF over time.

As for the Ottoplate, I am curious as well. I've been considering the Ottoplate, Quick Bandit and Slipstream, and like how the Ottoplate looks the closest to OEM without having to stick the license plate to my bumper. However, I have been unable to find detailed reviews of the Ottoplate.

Upvote 0
Anyone have experience with using the Tesla provided adhesive plate holder over PPF and ceramic?
The PPF shouldn't be an issue, people put the License Plate Wrap plate on top of PPF in California. Ceramic shouldn't be an issue as you should be cleaning the surface with isopropyl alcohol prior to sticking the plate on. The front plate mount that Tesla uses is just double sided adhesive similar to 3M. Honestly, you could probably stick the plate on top of the ceramic coating and it would stick. Prepping with isopropyl alcohol though just ensures the attachment is better.

Upvote 0
I did the License Plate Wrap for my MS in CA. Will do the same when my MY gets delivered. A little bit of advice to anyone that is going this route, use the wet method when installing it and you'll be done in 5 mins. If you try and install it dry, there's zero room for error and you will get creases and bubbles. The company rips you off for replacements, don't ask how I know :rolleyes:.

I attached the top of the plate dry to tack it in place and just sprayed the water/soap mixture on the rest of the plate and bumper. Squeegeed as I went along to get rid of the bubbles and creases. Hit it up with a hot air gun to cure the adhesive and was done. I still prefer the no front plate look, but figured I didn't feel like dealing with meter maids in the Bay Area.

Upvote 0
I live in California and got my Y 2 months ago. This is the no drill , $8 solution which works great for me.

Easy to remove if needed and took me about 10 minutes to attach. No drilling and no sticking to the paint.

Word on the streets is that most bridges , Golden Gate bridge and Oalkand bridge will no longer allow toll collection and will rely strictly on camera to bill you. License plates will be required or if caught hefty fee for trying to not to pay the bridge toll.

Upvote 0
I live in California and got my Y 2 months ago. This is the no drill , $8 solution which works great for me.

Easy to remove if needed and took me about 10 minutes to attach. No drilling and no sticking to the paint.

Word on the streets is that most bridges , Golden Gate bridge and Oalkand bridge will no longer allow toll collection and will rely strictly on camera to bill you. License plates will be required or if caught hefty fee for trying to not to pay the bridge toll.
If you have an EzPass and use the EzPass travel lanes there should be no issue. The bridge authority would only use the license plate image(s) as a backup in case the EzPass did not work.

Upvote 0
If you have an EzPass and use the EzPass travel lanes there should be no issue. The bridge authority would only use the license plate image(s) as a backup in case the EzPass did not work.

That is my problem , I do not have the EzPass as I do not live near the bridge but I do use the bridge once every few months. Driving in the commute lane is free given my $22 for 3 year sticker so no need for EzPass for me.

Upvote 0