Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front lights turning yellow

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone else have this problem? Tesla fixed them once already under warranty and now they are yellow again. Tesla quoted me $3000 to get them replaced now.

They said they don't have this problem with other customers, not sure why I'm the lucky one.

Excuse the dirty car, it just rained.

uQTDKI9.jpg

SXqGqp7.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_5373.jpeg
    IMG_5373.jpeg
    426.6 KB · Views: 6,868
  • IMG_5374.jpeg
    IMG_5374.jpeg
    435.4 KB · Views: 258
Hmmmm, it's the ole "You are the only one" thing. Maybe he just started work at Tesla yesterday :rolleyes: Tell him i said that. It is a problem that has occurred with several other owners. I have not personally experienced it, yet seen it many times. Maybe he means their shop hasn't see it yet. $3K replacement sure sounds steep, but maybe that is what it cost. How long has it been since they fixed it under warranty the first time? Maybe you can get them to do it again under the claim they didn't fix it properly the first time ?

Reactions: Chaserr
Yikes I'd be so upset if this happened to my car.Don't think I'd accept no for an answer when it is clearly a defect.

What causes this? UV exposure due to sunshine?

Should we drive the car only at night? :Do_O

They're good about replacing them under warranty (for now). I had one give out about 10,000 miles in, but been good ever since (knock on wood).

I doubt it's weather/UV related but who knows. The LED strips just seem to be flaky, and of course Tesla's only remedy (not that they're by any means alone in this phenomenon) is to chuck the whole thing in the garbage and make you buy a new one at $1200 a pop plus labor.

I've said many times I think there's a cottage industry waiting to happen here for an industrious fellow that could figure out how to fix them. As more cars roll off warranty, more people are gonna be looking for a fix that isn't financially absurd.

If you are out of warranty or they will not replace for free, might I suggest that you purchase a good set of used lamp assemblies for a few hundred each and replace them yourself? I have seen a few post on Youtube of people that are upgrading their lights through an exchange program.

I've seen a fair amount of info/mods on the nosecone HID lights, but hardly anything on the facelift-style LEDs that are subject to this failure. Someone's gotta crack into them at some point. ;)

Yup, both of mine are doing this now. I've had one replaced already about a year ago. Ranger is coming later this month to replace them... luckily I'm still under warranty (bought my Model S in Nov. 2017).

Attachments

• IMG_1393.JPG
    IMG_1393.JPG
    272.2 KB · Views: 220
  • IMG_1394.JPG
    IMG_1394.JPG
    243.7 KB · Views: 157