Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front mats have black clips but no hole in floor...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
AFAIK the standard TM mats use a flat Velcro disc that is screwed into the carpet floor. The underside of the mats have a matching circular Velcro patch. No grommets, hooks, drilled holes or the like. You were probably seeing the plastic disc with the small screw anchor.

FWIW, for some odd reason the circular Velcro area on the underside of my drivers side mat closest to the seat peeled away from the mat and appears to only be held by adhesive with a circular perforated cut out. Thus the mat was only being held by the Velcro at the top under the pedals. So the mat was sliding up. Dangerous a la Toyota/Lexus issue. I stopped by the Dublin SC and walked in with the mat. They took 1 look and brought the car around and replaced both front mats. No car manufacturer takes the front mat issue lightly...a major safety/liability issue.

Yes, no kidding. I had the floor mats on my Model S now replace 4 times, and they still roll up and continuously end up under my brake pedal. The latest ones have what seems to have a little hook on it, but no place in the floor to hook it to.

This is the one thing that will cause me to cancel my Model 3 reservation if this doesn't have a real solution by then.

It really bugs me each and every day I get in the Model S - more so than even the noisy drive train.

AFAIK the standard TM mats use a flat Velcro disc that is screwed into the carpet floor. The underside of the mats have a matching circular Velcro patch. No grommets, hooks, drilled holes or the like. You were probably seeing the plastic disc with the small screw anchor.

FWIW, for some odd reason the circular Velcro area on the underside of my drivers side mat closest to the seat peeled away from the mat and appears to only be held by adhesive with a circular perforated cut out. Thus the mat was only being held by the Velcro at the top under the pedals. So the mat was sliding up. Dangerous a la Toyota/Lexus issue. I stopped by the Dublin SC and walked in with the mat. They took 1 look and brought the car around and replaced both front mats. No car manufacturer takes the front mat issue lightly...a major safety/liability issue.

Then I think the whole disk came up from the floor, instead of coming loose at the velcro. So I was looking for the hole where to put the disc into but couldn't find it.

Then I think the whole disk came up from the floor, instead of coming loose at the velcro. So I was looking for the hole where to put the disc into but couldn't find it.

Yup--think so. Carefully pull the plastic disc from the Velcro backing. Then press firmly as you screw it back into the floor carpeting (be sure to check position/alignment so it sits under the matching spot on the back of the floor mat).