Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front motor disabled - OK to drive (Vehicle power may be limited)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This error message popped up on my 2018 MX 100D: Front motor disabled - OK to drive (Vehicle power may be limited) along with a turtle icon in front of it. Front motor is not working and power is definitely limited however she seems to drive Ok. No Service Center appointments until 4/11.

Has anyone had experience with this and know if it's safe to drive from now until then on one drive unit? I've messaged the SC however have not heard back yet so I wanted to ask the community for any feedback in the meantime. Both soft and hard resets have been exercised.

I will post the follow-up once this is addressed.

I've heard from a Tesla tech that the rear motor was the "main" so as long as it was alive, the car would be driveable. I have a 3 though, not an X, but would presume you can at least drive just fine in the meantime. I had a similar message only once on my 3 and just stepping out of the car and back made it go away forever... yours sounds like a front motor replacement might be needed.

I've heard from a Tesla tech that the rear motor was the "main" so as long as it was alive, the car would be driveable. I have a 3 though, not an X, but would presume you can at least drive just fine in the meantime. I had a similar message only once on my 3 and just stepping out of the car and back made it go away forever... yours sounds like a front motor replacement might be needed.
Thank you for the feedback. I have an appointment for Tuesday, 3,28 now and the SC has already had me approve an invoice for $0 for warranty work. Seems like they've already diagnosed it as a front motor replacement. I will update once completed.

Reactions: GtiMart
Just got the same message yesterday (Friday) afternoon (2023 X, 7 weeks old, less than 3000 miles). Did soft and hard reboots. Roadside Assistance called, ultimately they arranged for tow. However, since it's Christmas weekend, not even being towed/delivered till Tuesday the 26th. Nearest SC is 101 miles away. Not the way I wanted to start holiday.

Just got the same message yesterday (Friday) afternoon (2023 X, 7 weeks old, less than 3000 miles). Did soft and hard reboots. Roadside Assistance called, ultimately they arranged for tow. However, since it's Christmas weekend, not even being towed/delivered till Tuesday the 26th. Nearest SC is 101 miles away. Not the way I wanted to start holiday.
It's now 1/10/24 and I can't get any info from (Alpharetta) SC - I really don't know if they've even looked at the car (based on the service request in my app). It has moved it's location 3 times since it arrived on 12/26/23. Talk about frustrated.........