Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front motor temporarily disabled?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Driving out in my one month old Model 3 Dual Motor LR yesterday, the screen had a warning "Front motor temporarily disabled". Drove out on 1 motor, to a nearby SuperCharger. Warning stayed on while driving, noticeably less power of course. Stopped, charged, warning was gone when leaving. Anyone seen this too? Advice? The easiest is to ignore it as a fluke but I do feel a bit anxious - and am thrilled to have gone with the dual motors :)

Reactions: ebmcs03
Driving out in my one month old Model 3 Dual Motor LR yesterday, the screen had a warning "Front motor temporarily disabled". Drove out on 1 motor, to a nearby SuperCharger. Warning stayed on while driving, noticeably less power of course. Stopped, charged, warning was gone when leaving. Anyone seen this too? Advice? The easiest is to ignore it as a fluke but I do feel a bit anxious - and am thrilled to have gone with the dual motors :)
I suspect it was a fluke and would continue to drive it normally. If it happens again, I would definitely have it investigated but I wouldn't worry about it unless it repeats. If I saw that warning, I'd probably do a screen reboot before driving to try to isolate the cause. There's not much else you can do for self diagnostics.

BTW, congrats on selecting the best color combo out there! Luv my Blue with B&W on 19's.

Has been reported before. Agree with @Zoomit on waiting for a recurrence before doing anything.

FWIW in the below case they apparently did a motor replacement but who knows if that was necessary...

Power Reduced:Front Motor Temporarily Disabled P3D+ issue
Thanks! Did not come up in the search and that could simple be because there's no space between the ":" and "Front"... Interesting read, back in 2018, and getting the motor replaced! I'll follow the advice and see if it happens again. I'm not even at 1,000 miles yet - love this car though!

So i had the same warning plus other times i have regenerative braking is limited. I spoke with two different reps on the support number and they told me that it happens sometimes after charging at public chargers. The issue tends to go away after driving for a bit after or after a night's worth in sleep mode. I have not charged at a supercharger yet so I can't say what the support rep told me is true. Oh and one rep checked my logs and didn't find the front motor to have any issues even with the warning error on display.

It doesn’t have to affect the front motor, maybe they software detects something astray going on with the battery right after charging that causes the car to want to limit current draw on the battery, so they disable the front motor so it doesn’t draw power.

I also had my front motor disabled yesterday. It was disabled for two drives then the error message went away.
About 30 minutes later I stopped at a supercharger.
Charged from 120 miles to 220 miles. In that time the charge was “interrupted” 12 times.
Not a good day for my Tesla.

• Informative
Reactions: Zoomit
Sure enough, had this happened to me this afternoon. I laughed when I saw it and kept driving. I didn’t notice when it went away. I’m on 19.12.1.2.

0C90D9BF-315F-4C29-8922-8D0DAD053CB0.jpeg

• Funny
Reactions: P85_DA
Sure enough, had this happened to me this afternoon. I laughed when I saw it and kept driving. I didn’t notice when it went away. I’m on 19.12.1.2.

View attachment 412064
191 wh/mi in a Dual Motor Model 3 is a shame.
The car decided that you need only 1 motor for that kind of driving and was protesting your style of driving.
OTOH, my car is growing an extra motor in the front axle to keep up with my need for acceleration.

I had this happen in November of 2018 in my P3D-, called into support. She had me reboot and it went away. She also scheduled a support call but they ended up calling me back and saying it was fixed from their end. Googling the error led me to a few older Model S threads where they had an engine replaced so I was starting to get pretty worried. It's been months and I haven't seen it again so you should be good.

191 wh/mi in a Dual Motor Model 3 is a shame.
The car decided that you need only 1 motor for that kind of driving and was protesting your style of driving.
OTOH, my car is growing an extra motor in the front axle to keep up with my need for acceleration.
It was during the climb back up the 4000’ that I used my front motor, 282Wh/mi round trip. No other motor faults. I will come back here to post if it happens again.

Reactions: Leafdriver333

Interesting, do you remember what your WH/mi was while only using the rear motor? I've been wondering if a LR DM could have a "extended range" mode that turned off the front motor at speeds. I know the car weight is more but wonder if you get better efficiency while in 2wd...

Interesting, do you remember what your WH/mi was while only using the rear motor? I've been wondering if a LR DM could have a "extended range" mode that turned off the front motor at speeds. I know the car weight is more but wonder if you get better efficiency while in 2wd...
That’s what already happens. The front motor is shutdown and “freely” spins when not needed.

Aside from motor temperature, can anyone think of a reason why the Tesla might disable its motors temporarily? I'm wondering whether or not Tesla has been calibrating internal temperature sensors, and coolant flow subsystems in recent releases due to changing temperatures. I've never seen this message, but I'm still early in my ownership and under 5,000 miles.

From what I've read online, this condition should not occur during normal operation. Some users have reported Tesla replacing the motor.

Tesla has on board diagnostics. It may have detected a reason to disable your front motor. As time went by, perhaps something again changed and it re engaged it's front motor...clever car.

Would be worth while to make a call and have someone remotely check out your car, or swing by a service center for a more complete diagnostic.