Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front motor temporarily disabled?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I suspect this might be related to On-Route Battery Warmup. The front motor definitely sounds different when driving and a Supercharger is selected in the navigation. When my episode occurred, the battery was cool and we had just started driving to nearby Supercharger.

• Informative
Reactions: Watts_Up
I suspect this might be related to On-Route Battery Warmup. The front motor definitely sounds different when driving and a Supercharger is selected in the navigation. When my episode occurred, the battery was cool and we had just started driving to nearby Supercharger.

Certainly seems software related and it seems to be version 12 and later (would make sense for it being related to battery warmup)...it sounds like at least some of the other reports were en route to a Supercharger as well, but would be interesting if anyone got it recently when NOT navigating to a Supercharger.

Interesting, do you remember what your WH/mi was while only using the rear motor? I've been wondering if a LR DM could have a "extended range" mode that turned off the front motor at speeds. I know the car weight is more but wonder if you get better efficiency while in 2wd...
No, I don't sorry. This all happened BEFORE supercharging by the way, to address a few other feedbacks. Fortunately it went away and hasn't come back :)

Reactions: M3totms
Thanks everyone for the posts - just 2 weeks into my model 3 and got the "Power reduced" message this morning. Realized after reading through the forum that I'd accidentally sent a supercharging location to the car last night while browsing supercharger locations near by so certainly sounds like supercharger "prep".

• Helpful
Reactions: In_the_process
I assumed you've made a mention to your local SC? Monitor it and document occurrences; appears to go away (most green warnings are temporary and doesn't not affect safety).

I got out, locked, unlocked, got back in, and the warnings were gone. Drove 10 ft and it happened again. Hard-reset the car, no joy. Did the lock, unlock, retry thing and it happened a 3rd time. Took the car back to the SC, and they've put me in a loaner.

3 hours. I had my new car for 3 hours, drove under 10 miles, and it's instant-junk.

Frustrated doesn't even begin to describe it.

I got out, locked, unlocked, got back in, and the warnings were gone. Drove 10 ft and it happened again. Hard-reset the car, no joy. Did the lock, unlock, retry thing and it happened a 3rd time. Took the car back to the SC, and they've put me in a loaner.

3 hours. I had my new car for 3 hours, drove under 10 miles, and it's instant-junk.

Frustrated doesn't even begin to describe it.
Definitely sounds like a frustrating issue. Are you within the return period? If you decide to return or deal with repairs, either way it’s definitely not something that an owner of a brand new vehicle should have to deal with it.

Reactions: Sunvalleylaw
Electric and electronic devices generally, if they're going to fail, fail right away. If there's a fault or loose plug, that is what your warranty and the SC are there for- to correct or replace it, and to bear the costs so that you don't have to. My former boss had to take his brand new Lotus Exige in about a dozen times to plug in one thing or another, or to add more shims to make things line up properly, so this sort of thing at delivery, while frustrating, is not unique to Tesla.

I got this notice on my new Model Y. Less than 24 hours old and in the service center. The reply from the service center is less than comforting for me.

"The technician did identify the alert. Found more information from the engineers on how and why this occurred. This currently is a bug in the firmware package. The engineers have noted that there is no harm to the vehicle whatsoever. Alert has only appeared upon start up of the vehicle on one specific day. If the alarm does become present, to simply exit the vehicle, close the door, then re-enter. As this resets the drive cycle. This will be resolved in a later firmware update."

I got this same motor disabled temporarily message several days ago. I’ve driven it for 4 days and it hasn’t gone away. It also takes a minute to turn on and be ready to drive. I have an appointment with service but they’re scheduled out a couple weeks. I’m not sure if I can keep driving it until then.