Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front motor temporarily disabled?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got this same motor disabled temporarily message several days ago. I’ve driven it for 4 days and it hasn’t gone away. It also takes a minute to turn on and be ready to drive. I have an appointment with service but they’re scheduled out a couple weeks. I’m not sure if I can keep driving it until then.
They should be able to remotely pull the logs to help diagnose the issue. Ask them to do that.

Billie got a boo-boo! Picked up the car on 2/2 and on 2/4 (42 miles in) had to get it towed to SC in Burbank. Front motor disabled, regen breaking disabled, ABS disabled and the list goes on. There were about 6 warnings on the touchscreen and the car wouldn't let me put it in D. I tried rebooting the screen, powering the car off, exited and came back in 3 times, but nothing did the trick. It all started after I used a supercharger to try it out on 2/3. Hopefully nothing too serious! It is a bummer having to experience that on the first week of finally getting my brand new Tesla after months of wait! At least it is all covered under warranty and they gave me a $500 Uber voucher.

Bumping. Picked up car 4 days ago. Picking up kids from school. Got out to put something in the trunk. As I got back in, see the the error message with a turtle icon.

Got home, plugged it in again. Tesla service says for me to bring it in at my earliest convience.

Yes. They didn't really care. Message went away after a reboot at home.
I tried everything:

1. Soft reboot (two thumbs)
  2. Hard reboot (two thumbs plus brake)
  3. Turn car off (from Safety menu)
  4. Disconnect low voltage (li-ion) and disconnect high voltage (open frunk, front passenger side emergency disconnect)

In all cases, same result; Press brake to start car then wait 20 seconds for the warning to pop up. You can't shift to R or D during that first 20 seconds after getting in and pressing the brake. Very annoying.

Drives normally other than being down 1 motor.

Reactions: DrBebo
I was blessed with the Temporary Reduction of Power - Front Motor Disabled message this morning just a little over 24 hours of ownership. I hope this isnt going to be a thing.
This is my situation, perhaps 48 hours of ownership. And why I am hear reading to see WTF is going on. Hoping it is a glitch and not a thing. Read up through your post so far. Will keep reading.

I called Tesla right away and ignored the set up a service appointment via the app, and talked to someone, and asked them to set up a call back. And then I also texted my SA who just set me up on the car, with photos of the error code. DI_a138 Power reduced - ok to drive, front motor temporarily disabled. Was just coming back from the grocery store. No idea why the code would get thrown. Just charging at home other than a stop at a SuperCharger nearby the dealer when I picked up.

I tried everything:

1. Soft reboot (two thumbs)
  2. Hard reboot (two thumbs plus brake)
  3. Turn car off (from Safety menu)
  4. Disconnect low voltage (li-ion) and disconnect high voltage (open frunk, front passenger side emergency disconnect)

In all cases, same result; Press brake to start car then wait 20 seconds for the warning to pop up. You can't shift to R or D during that first 20 seconds after getting in and pressing the brake. Very annoying.

Drives normally other than being down 1 motor.
Did yours get fixed?

15CB7311-E442-4253-B518-B7601A615D21.jpeg
80342B4E-D5AD-40B0-921C-E2FDCEF3FD4F.jpeg

For the record, I get this notification probably once a month and as soon as I exit the vehicle and then re-enter the vehicle it goes away. I’ve asked Tesla about this multiple times and have been told by two different service centers this is a known software issue and that nothing is wrong with the vehicle.

If it does not resolve by you simply exiting and reentering the vehicle, then yes there could actually be something wrong. But if you are just simply getting this notification and then it goes away it is likely nothing, at least from what I have been told as I said above.

For the record, I get this notification probably once a month and as soon as I exit the vehicle and then re-enter the vehicle it goes away. I’ve asked Tesla about this multiple times and have been told by two different service centers this is a known software issue and that nothing is wrong with the vehicle.

If it does not resolve by you simply exiting and reentering the vehicle, then yes there could actually be something wrong. But if you are just simply getting this notification and then it goes away it is likely nothing, at least from what I have been told as I said above.

Well, I reported it, and my SA got right back to me, and we power cycled it, and it went away. If it comes back, it is of record, within 2 days, and under 72 hours, from having picked up the car, and the car is going in. I live in the mountains of Idaho, hours from the nearest service center, and am not dealing with the musical chairs thing out in the mountains or desert driving.
Yup, got appointment for 2.5 weeks later, and it was resolved in 3 days. They replaced the front drive, refilled coolant, and did an alignment (?). I even got a MYLR to play with for the 3 days.

For the record, the MYLR is noticeably faster than a rear-only MYP. I was glad to get her back.
Good! Hoping mine was a fluke like some have experienced. If it comes back, I will ask for the car to go in. My alignment seems rock solid by how it drives.

Well, I reported it, and my SA got right back to me, and we power cycled it, and it went away. If it comes back, it is of record, within 2 days, and under 72 hours, from having picked up the car, and the car is going in. I live in the mountains of Idaho, hours from the nearest service center, and am not dealing with the musical chairs thing out in the mountains or desert driving.
I live 1.75 hrs from the nearest service center as well. You can ask Tesla service to look into it remotely too. I've had the car for 9 months now and have gotten that turtle icon multiple times and it hasn't caused me any problems. Tesla service will likely tell you their "engineering team" is looking into it and then get back to you and say it's nothing. The other user who got his front motor replaced sounds like he had a different problem and the turtle icon didn't simply go away when exiting and reentering the vehicle, warranting an actual repair. Otherwise if it goes away, it is likely not a real issue. YMMV

I live 1.75 hrs from the nearest service center as well. You can ask Tesla service to look into it remotely too. I've had the car for 9 months now and have gotten that turtle icon multiple times and it hasn't caused me any problems. Tesla service will likely tell you their "engineering team" is looking into it and then get back to you and say it's nothing. The other user who got his front motor replaced sounds like he had a different problem and the turtle icon didn't simply go away when exiting and reentering the vehicle, warranting an actual repair. Otherwise if it goes away, it is likely not a real issue. YMMV
With all due respect, it is fine if you think that is good enough, but it is not for me. It is different needing to stop your car, get out and get back in, in order for the vehicle to do its basic function, operate with all motors, in extreme mountain and desert temps. It is a real issue affecting my use of the car where I live, and also my confidence in traveling over remote regions such as we have out here. Their charging network allowing me to safely do that is one big reason I went with this car. Plus there are safety issues in being required to do that to have the car operate properly. They talked about doing a remote scan, but that has not been done yet. If the problem comes back, they have already offered to get the car in and get it resolved. And I will insist on that. My SA has been great so far about it.

With all due respect, it is fine if you think that is good enough, but it is not for me. It is different needing to stop your car, get out and get back in, in order for the vehicle to do its basic function, operate with all motors, in extreme mountain and desert temps. It is a real issue affecting my use of the car where I live, and also my confidence in traveling over remote regions such as we have out here. Their charging network allowing me to safely do that is one big reason I went with this car. Plus there are safety issues in being required to do that to have the car operate properly. They talked about doing a remote scan, but that has not been done yet. If the problem comes back, they have already offered to get the car in and get it resolved. And I will insist on that. My SA has been great so far about it.
Good luck - let us know how it goes

Reactions: Sunvalleylaw