Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front motors smaller (less powerful) than the rear?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Controlling two induction motors from one inverter is not easy so as far as I know it's not a given that they can do that. Plus they will have to engineer the smaller inverter for the Gen3 vehicle eventually anyway. You do have a point about the rear subframe changes, but I'm not sure if that alone is a show stopper.
One just never knows. Tesla changes things on the fly so much, that what they have planned now, could change in a few months. It will be really interesting to see the Model X, and E design unfold.

My thinking is that it's a waste to use the S motor in the rear. Why carry around a motor large enough to power the vehicle at full performance on it's own when there will always be another motor onboard? Since they have to build a smaller motor anyway for the front it might make sense to use the same motor front and rear. It might also be the same motor that goes into the Gen3 vehicle.
Since the primary motor is in the rear, isn't it true in AWD that the front motor will not be used unless slip is detected in the rear?

Since the primary motor is in the rear, isn't it true in AWD that the front motor will not be used unless slip is detected in the rear?

There are systems that work that way, and others that push power to all four wheels all the time.

I don't think anyone knows what Tesla has in mind on that score - though the history of making high performance cars would suggest they'd lean towards using both motors under hard acceleration since that'd make the car faster.

Model Ss don't become battery/power limited until ~50 mph - below that speed there's always excess battery capacity which could be used to drive the car faster through the front motor.

- - - Updated - - -

There are systems that work that way, and others that push power to all four wheels all the time.

I don't think anyone knows what Tesla has in mind on that score - though the history of making high performance cars would suggest they'd lean towards using both motors under hard acceleration since that'd make the car faster.

Model Ss don't become battery/power limited until ~50 mph - below that speed there's always excess battery capacity which could be used to drive the car faster through the front motor.

As I posted in another thread they might use a smaller motor for both the front and the rear. With two motors I don't see any good reason to have a larger rear motor.

I bet that Tesla will continue to use the Model S motor/gearbox/inverter in the rear, along with a smaller motor/gearbox in the front.

We were basically both right, D has two small motors, PD has big and small. (Though I'm pretty sure the front motor does have it's own inverter).

We were basically both right, D has two small motors, PD has big and small. (Though I'm pretty sure the front motor does have it's own inverter).

Yes, that was a good bit of reasoning in your post of 2013-10-28. I think you're also probably right about using the same smaller motor for the Model 3. Then Tesla would only need to produce two motor designs for
- Model S RWD (big motor)
- Model S AWD (small motor front, small motor rear)
- Model S AWD Performance (small motor front, big motor rear)
- Model X AWD and AWD Performance - same as Model S
- Model 3 (small motor - rear?)

Tesla supposedly had a test car with the dual P drive units. One of the engineers said it was pretty unstable. He didn't say whether the battery was a stock 85kwh pack, but if it was, it would probably be thrashed much quicker with 940hp being sucked out of it. I have to wonder what Tesla does with these Frankenstein test cars? They would make very fun track cars. Anyone remember the Roadster drivetrain Smart car? That thing was bananas.

We know based on JB Straubel's blog posting that "the new generation small front drive unit is actually more efficient at converting battery DC electricity into mechanical shaft power".
Shouldn't we anticipate that Tesla will also replace the larger older/existing units with "the new generation" technology? And based on the assumption all the drive units are newer technology what will that change? And is their any reason to assume the Model X's larger drive units will also be using the newer technology helping to improve range? Why would Tesla delay using better drive units going forward?

http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/driving-range-model-s-family.

A larger diameter motor produces greater torque so I don't expect it to be replaced with a smaller one in a high performance application. To put it another way, efficiency isn't everything.
JRP3 I wasn't making the case for replacing the larger motor with a smaller one. My question is if the smaller motor is "a new generation" as quoted from JB why wouldn't they upgrade the larger motors to the new generation? Not necessarily right away but within a reasonable time period to gain some efficiency since every bit helps.

My guess is most of the efficiency gains were just the result of the motor being smaller. Any other tweaks they may have already integrated into the larger motor if applicable.

I suspect similarly: less rotating mass and therefore less inertia to overcome likely leads to a good chunk of any greater efficiency.

Something else that has been discussed some time previously is that there was talk of being able to gear the 2nd motor differently than the first motor. Assuming it was geared taller, that would lower the RPM at a given speed, allowing it run run at a more efficient speed.

To a point, it's not like an ICE where low RPM's are necessarily more efficient. Depending on how a motor is built it will have an RPM range where it's most efficient. I expect with slightly different gearing each motor will have a slightly different most efficient RPM range in relation to vehicle speed, so being able to favor one motor over another when the RPM range is in the sweet spot for an individual motor provides a benefit.

My guess is most of the efficiency gains were just the result of the motor being smaller. Any other tweaks they may have already integrated into the larger motor if applicable.
There has been many changes to the Model S drive units over the 3 years it has been in production.

The rotor has been completely redesigned.

Early rotors
image.jpg

Latest rotor design
image.jpg

D front drive unit(very similar to the latest bigger drive unit design)
image.jpg

image.jpg