Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front mounted 2" reciever?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I doubt I'll be needing one on my CT due to the relatively short wheelbase but wondering if the design will allow for a front mount hitch.

I use mine often on my crew cab long box but I'll be happy never using one again if the short wheel base allows for that. Nice to have option though.

No problem. I'll explain. You know the 2 inch receivers on the back of trucks that you plug a trailer hitch into? Well, you can put one on the front also. This allows you different tight quarters turning and maneuvering options when you have a giant truck, giant boat trailer and small parking spot.

When mounting on the front, it becomes a weight carrying hitch only. You don't normally connect load equalizing bars to back it into tight quarters. The capacity is greatly reduced since tongue weight should be 10 to 15% of the trailer gross weight. A rear mounted receiver using load equalizing bars pulls down on the front of the receiver and pushes up on the rear of the receiver. So a front mounted hitch needs a rearward mount (towards rear of vehicle) for longitudinal pulling, and a front mount for vertical weight carrying. These are done with widely spaced mounting points with large support areas above and below unibody construction. Without attaching to a frame, you're very limited. If a plow frame could be mounted, that would be a solid attaching point, but even that only needs to be designed for carrying the weight of plow with more strength to prevent rearward longitudinal movement with a solid anchor point under the vehicle.

IF a hitch could be rated for 500 lbs tongue weight, that limits you to about a 30 foot camper with average weight up to 5000 lbs. It is up to the hitch manufacturer to specify the weight rating when attached as designed. Most front mounted hitches are fabricated for specific uses and not rated for road safety. There is not enough demand for testing and mass producing front mounted hitches for most vehicles.

A front mounted receiver is a good attaching point for a winch as well.

Reactions: AhwatukeeDad