Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front number plate mounting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Someone* drove into my car in the work car park yesterday. They ripped the front number plate off. While I wait for the damage to be assessed I need to reattach the plate. There are two mounting holes and the screws in the plate seem to be plastic. Anyone got any experience of what will work so I can try to remount it in the short term?

Another option would be to stick it back on but this might not be so secure.

* at least they left a note

I once used no more nails adhesive strip as a temporary measure (happened to me in a B&Q carpark so was handy!). Turned out to be a more permanent fix as I couldn't get the plate off easily so I left it and it stayed that way until I sold the car a couple of years later.

I once used no more nails adhesive strip as a temporary measure (happened to me in a B&Q carpark so was handy!). Turned out to be a more permanent fix as I couldn't get the plate off easily so I left it and it stayed that way until I sold the car a couple of years later.

Ah, too secure! The number plate holder is damaged/deformed so might need to be replaced as well. But good to know if it gets to that, it'll be solid. Cheers.

Is it just the frame surround broken and not the black support behind?

If its just the surround i would drill 2 holes into the number plate and secure the plate to the backing support - looks better imo. Else good old 3m tape

IMG_2850.png

3M tape is more than secure enough. I removed my front plate plastic surround and stuck it back on with this. No drilling necessary. It's a bitch to try and prise it away. It'll never come off on its own. Looks better too IMO.

Tape works but be mindful that as the number plate needs to curve it takes time to form that shape so may not be as secure initially unless you use copius amounts. I found warmer temps tape lost its strength. I've had tape on for 8 months on the previous Tesla and yes it does work

The whole lot was ripped off and looked a bit bent but I’ve taken it apart now and might be able to refit the back plate as the screws were trapped inside rather than damaged. They’re self tapping so the question is are the holes now too damaged by ripping the plate off.