TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Front panels loose

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by Doug_G, Aug 20, 2015.

1. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Has anyone seen this before? My 2012 Signature has an issue with the front body panels below the headlights - they're popping out.

IMG_4299.JPG

IMG_4300.JPG

IMG_4301.JPG

I've also got a rattle coming from somewhere around the left front wheel. I've scheduled service to check it out, though the valet is backed up to Sept 14.

2. Zextraterrestrial

I have the same thing with my drivers side, pretty sure there are some clips that failed

3. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

There are some clips back there that may need to be replaced.

4. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

Someone back into you discretely? Having spent a lot of time street parking, that looks like damage caused by a minor parking tap. Pretty often the clip below the headlights fails as the bumper tries to bulge out when compressed, leaving the clip closest to the wheel well intact. That appears to be the exact failure you have here.

As others have stated, you likely just need some new clips to replace the failed/broken ones.

5. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

This happened after my encounter with a deer... as it turns out, some of the lower pieces ended up getting pushed back a bit, causing those panels to pop out. I second Gizmo's suggestion. Take a look at the cornering lamp units, do they still look like they're snugly fit into the bumper cover?

6. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

I'm not aware of any collisions, and there are no scratches or anything on the front of the car. I'm guessing the clips popped?

7. woof

woof Model S #P683 Blue 85 kWh

Ours came that way (Dec. 2012 non-sig). SC tried twice to correct it...Failed both times. Doesn't bother me...much...or I'd be more assertive in getting it fixed.

8. Electricfan

Electricfan Member

May not help much, but my 2011 Volt had exactly the same problem. GM didn't want to fix it but I kept taking it back. Finally they took it into the body shop and they fixed it. Good luck with yours - you deserve to have it repaired under warranty. I hope they're nice about it.