Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front Parking Camera - My $150 / 15 min. installed Solution

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On faith, I bought the same camera/video screen setup from the OP link above. It works perfectly. I have a front license plate, so I mounted it using the metal bracket that comes with the kit. I placed the bracket under the license plate and adjusted the video settings to view the image "upside down" in order to see the image correctly. I installed it 10/14, it's still showing 3 bars of battery. It worked flawlessly for a 900 mile road trip plus local driving. Took it off to go through a car wash ... not sure I want to do that every time -- does anyone else have experience. with that?

Reactions: wornout
On faith, I bought the same camera/video screen setup from the OP link above. It works perfectly. I have a front license plate, so I mounted it using the metal bracket that comes with the kit. I placed the bracket under the license plate and adjusted the video settings to view the image "upside down" in order to see the image correctly. I installed it 10/14, it's still showing 3 bars of battery. It worked flawlessly for a 900 mile road trip plus local driving. Took it off to go through a car wash ... not sure I want to do that every time -- does anyone else have experience. with that?
I imagine it *should* be fine in a carwash, but of course... your mileage may vary. I hand wash, so you know, don't take my words as fact. I also have the camera sitting on 3 bars of battery, installed September 20. Pretty good! I may well install a second one, so I can shift each camera to the edge of the grill. Currently, while it's a good solution, it's not quite wide enough at times, so you can't quite see the car's edges. Not sure how having a second will work, but it's worth a trial run!

I imagine it *should* be fine in a carwash, but of course... your mileage may vary. I hand wash, so you know, don't take my words as fact. I also have the camera sitting on 3 bars of battery, installed September 20. Pretty good! I may well install a second one, so I can shift each camera to the edge of the grill. Currently, while it's a good solution, it's not quite wide enough at times, so you can't quite see the car's edges. Not sure how having a second will work, but it's worth a trial run!
Just went out today and watched it drop a bar. Hah! So 2 of 3 bars remaining after a little over a month. Admittedly I don’t drive every day, but when I do it’s a lot of short trips in a day, so it probably evens out given the camera will turn on every time you open the door of the car.

It clips right to the body of the camera. i have mine mounted down low as shown in my first pics, it gets enough light there. Can you not clip yours there as well?
The problem I have is my car spends much of its life in a dark garage. Don’t think I’ll get benefit from the solar aspect…, not to mention I live in Seattle. 😂

That’s said, for $20 it’s worth a shot!

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Mark II
Wrong thread? Or did I miss something? 😅
I’m saying that the front curb protection for the front lip is also being addressed in software - the suspension raises now when it sees a curb when parking.

However, given that I’m salivating over my new UP front diffuser and I’d hate to bust it when it comes with one careless parking job, I got the camera on Amazon :)

I’m saying that the front curb protection for the front lip is also being addressed in software - the suspension raises now when it sees a curb when parking.

However, given that I’m salivating over my new UP front diffuser and I’d hate to bust it when it comes with one careless parking job, I got the camera on Amazon :)
It does? I’d not noticed suspension raising automatically…