TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Front Parking Camera w/ Auto Pilot hardware

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by siteexperts, Mar 29, 2015.

1. siteexperts

siteexperts Member

Just picked up my P85D. Nervous about how low the front is and that the front parking sensors seem useless for approaching a curb when pulling straight into a parking spot. Have been driving an SUV for a few years so this has not really been a concern; although my SUV had front cameras)

Is there no front camera on the Tesla to help with this? (thought the auto-pilot hardware has cameras in the front).

Thanks.

2. stevezzzz

stevezzzz R;SigS;P85D;SigX

The autopilot camera is in the mirror housing at the top of the windshield. The parking sensors themselves do a pretty good (but not infallible) job of detecting curbs and parking bumpers. My eyeball does a pretty good (but not infallible) job of stopping me short of said curbs and bumpers. :biggrin:

Between the two, I haven't scraped the nose of the P85D yet, in nearly 7000 miles. Can't say the same for the S85 (it's got 37,000 miles on it).

3. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

With the great backup camera and the comparatively high undercarriage in the rear, I've learned to back in to spaces as often as possible.

4. Cyclone

Cyclone Active Member

In my SUV, I've always backed in parking spaces, so I plan to do the same with the MS, except the garage. In my garage, one car has to back in and the other pull forward in so the drivers can open their doors (walls to close, so passengers get out when the vehicle stops in the driveway), and the side for backing in doesn't have a Homelink compatible garage door opener while the other side does.

5. Blu Zap

Blu Zap Grinning member

Whenever i go into a parking lot or even street parking, I raise the MS to high or very high. Curbs and wheel blocks will create a problem that the sensors will not detect.

6. andydoty

andydoty Member

I never park over the curbs or blocks. If the car decides to level itself (or lower), it will settle on top of the stone. FWIW

Like Cyclone, I try to back in as well. Keep in mind the same rule applies.

7. SteveW25561

SteveW25561 Member

@blu zap: I have found that after parking, no matter how I have the suspension set at the time, the car always seems to lower itself after parking. Just never made sense to me but it seems to be the behavior. Does yours maintain the suspension height you set it at even after parking?

8. Syed

Syed Member

Yes, it does stay the height you set at parking. I've a very tight garage and need to set it very high at park to avoid the raised floor at the end of my garage. I asked my DS at delivery to make sure it'll keep it's position.

9. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

Mine seems to keep the height.

10. Keiki

Keiki Member

The Auto Pilot camera is in the FRONT GRILL. Look closely, right under the front license plate.

11. nh-srt8

nh-srt8 Member

Thats for forward looking radar.

12. notAmeenPerson

No. Absolutely not. That's the radar module. The front facing camera is part of the rear view mirror housing.

13. Bill D

Bill D Member

I'm no radar expert, but considering the location of that radar module, you would think a little software that takes over at very low speed could make it function as a curb detector.

14. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

It's not just a software fix, it would depend on the field of view/beamwidth, right?

Also, you have the sonar sensors for that.

15. JenniferQ

JenniferQ Member

That is one thing I do miss about my MBZ. The front camera is very nice when cutting it close in places. The graphic is nice in the Tesla, but I miss that forward camera.

16. liuping

liuping Active Member

But the sonar sensor don't reliably see curbs, especially up close.

I really wish the Model S had a 360 degree top down camera system like so many other cars out there (not just high end cars, even Leafs and Hyundais have them). I was waiting for that before upgrading to the 90D, but when the Model X was announced and did not have it, I decided it was probably not coming any time soon and upgraded without it.

17. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

I dunno, my sonar sensors work well for curbs and parking blocks. It tells me where they are up-to 12", and then says stop. You keep driving, it keeps beeping. Works for both nose-in and back-in parking.

I agree that a 360 degree top down view would be awesome.

18. Bill D

Bill D Member

Another Sonar sensor angled downward would be good it it beeped when something is closer than the ground

19. gizmoboy

gizmoboy Member

Ditto. I'm contemplating this system, but the fact that you can't integrate it onto the big screen is a significant drawback...