Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front Parking Sensor Not Working?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all!

I did a search on this topic, but could not find one in the Model Y forum...

I just realized that my front parking sensors stopped working. Last night I went out to Target and while parking, I noticed I wasn’t getting any information on how close I was to the bushes in front of me. I thought it might just be because they’re bushes and the sensors might not be reading it correctly since it’s mostly hollow. However, while parking today at work, it was not detecting the wall in front of me. It’s odd because I used AP on the freeway on my way to work and I haven’t gotten any errors about any issues with sensors.

I haven’t been able to check if the rear sensors are still working.

I’m wondering if any MY owners have experienced this so far? If so, has it been fixed?

Thanks!

• Helpful
Reactions: aspushkin
One of my rear sensors recently went out. In addition to not getting the distance to obstacle information, at slow speeds it would constantly inform me that Park Assist was not available.

Also, regular summon did not function (I didn't try smart summon), and I could not use the turn signal to change lanes while Autopilot was engaged. I do not use automatic lane changes, so I don't know if that was affected.

All of that was due to a single parking sensor in the rear being inoperative. Not having the curb distance lines was probably a contributing factor to me scuffing my wheels, too. At least that's what I tell myself.

There was no way for me to tell which sensor was out. When getting the parking assist warning, there'd be a weird red line on the avatar screen, but it would go away once I reached speed.

They replaced the sensor, and everything is working fine now.

• Informative
Reactions: alexcue
I'm also getting similar issues with my front sensors as well. No warning as I am pulling into a spot. Rear sensors start detecting well in advance of getting close to anything. Gonna schedule a service appointment and see what they say.

Hello all!

I just realized that my front parking sensors stopped working. Last night I went out to Target and while parking, I noticed I wasn’t getting any information on how close I was to the bushes in front of me. I thought it might just be because they’re bushes and the sensors might not be reading it correctly since it’s mostly hollow. However, while parking today at work, it was not detecting the wall in front of me. It’s odd because I used AP on the freeway on my way to work and I haven’t gotten any errors about any issues with sensors.

I’m wondering if any MY owners have experienced this so far? If so, has it been fixed?

Thanks!

One of my rear sensors recently went out. In addition to not getting the distance to obstacle information, at slow speeds it would constantly inform me that Park Assist was not available.

Also, regular summon did not function (I didn't try smart summon), and I could not use the turn signal to change lanes while Autopilot was engaged. I do not use automatic lane changes, so I don't know if that was affected.

All of that was due to a single parking sensor in the rear being inoperative. Not having the curb distance lines was probably a contributing factor to me scuffing my wheels, too. At least that's what I tell myself.

There was no way for me to tell which sensor was out. When getting the parking assist warning, there'd be a weird red line on the avatar screen, but it would go away once I reached speed.

They replaced the sensor, and everything is working fine now.

Yeah, I’m not even getting any messages saying that parking assist is unavailable,

I'm also getting similar issues with my front sensors as well. No warning as I am pulling into a spot. Rear sensors start detecting well in advance of getting close to anything. Gonna schedule a service appointment and see what they say.

I also scheduled a service appointment. I wonder what the issue could be. My front sensors look fine. They aren’t pushed in or unseated from their position unlike the other Tesla owners who were experiencing this problem.

Hello all!

Thanks!

This is happening to me as well. Rear sensors working but fronts are not. Took it in for service and they replaced something and said it was working but it's not in fact working. Do you have PPF on the front by any chance?

For my Model Y, the front parking sensors seem to work during the daytime, and at night time while pulling into the same garage spot, front sensors don't work.

Do your front sensors work during the day and not at night?

JK929 - Any resolution?
I haven't made an appointment yet. But I do have ppf. So wondering if that's the problem. Although I have a full vehicle wrap, so wouldn't it effect the rear sensors as well? Seems isolated to the front 2 middle sensors.

I also scheduled a service appointment. I wonder what the issue could be. My front sensors look fine. They aren’t pushed in or unseated from their position unlike the other Tesla owners who were experiencing this problem.

• Helpful
Reactions: aspushkin
If you have PPF, they may get dirty and impede the sensors. I find that the sensors on Tesla seems to only warn you when you are very close compared to BMW's as an example.

Someone mentioned about AP is fine but sensor is not. AP does not use these parking sensors... they are too short of range to allow any actions at high speed.

Reactions: ib604
OK, for posterity. Cut holes in the PPF covering the sensors and problem was fixed 100%. Theory: after curing or after enough sun exposure some PPF will begin to block the sensors, even if clean. My car is not driven that much and otherwise in a garage so took a few months to interfere with the sensors. Thanks to those helping out on the thread.

• Informative
Reactions: alexcue and ib604
OK, for posterity. Cut holes in the PPF covering the sensors and problem was fixed 100%. Theory: after curing or after enough sun exposure some PPF will begin to block the sensors, even if clean. My car is not driven that much and otherwise in a garage so took a few months to interfere with the sensors. Thanks to those helping out on the thread.
Thanks for the update, did you remove the PPF from the front sensors entirely?

Thanks for the update, did you remove the PPF from the front sensors entirely?

Yes. The guy who installed it did careful round cutouts, just a hair outside of the outer edge of the sensor.

IMG_9139.jpg

I had PPF installed. It covered all 6 sensors on the front (4 forward facing and 2 front corners). Corner sensors kept working but the front 4 stopped. Talked to SC and they let me know the front 4 have a different part number from the rest, speculation is that they are more sensitive.
I cut holes in the PPF for the front sensors and they immediately started working.

Reactions: Gigaron
Came here to say I was having the same problem. Took the car in to service and they ran diagnostics claiming the sensors were working normally. I had a model 3 before this with no PPF so I know for certain they were not working as well.

I brought the car back to my wrap guy and he said he has done a lot of Tesla’s and only one or two have ever reported issues with their parking sensors. Nonetheless he was willing to try cutting around them for me. We did a before and after test where he stood in front of each sensor to see if it was working. Before cutting out the PPF, not a single one of the front sensors was detecting him. After he cut them out, the car immediately began detecting a wall to my right that it hadn’t reported before, and when he stood in front of each sensor it detected him as expected.

So here’s one more piece of evidence that cutting PPF around the sensors solved the problem.