Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front Passenger Air Vent - Can you turn it off?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife hates that our Model 3 doesn't allow her to turn off her vents on the passenger side independently like 99% of other cars. I agree with her, this is a big design oversight.

Does the Model Y allow you to turn off the face-level vents on the passenger side while remaining open on the driver's side?

The manual on page 125 says "When Model Y detects that there are no passengers sitting in the passenger seat, the passenger vent and controls automatically turn off. Adjust the climate settings to enable passenger air flow". The Model 3's manual does not have this sentence which gives me hope that you can turn off the passenger side vent.

Can any current owners let me know about this? It's a major factor in us deciding to buy a Model Y.

Thanks!

My wife is asking the same, so I was going to hunt around today to see if this is possible. I can't believe this isn't addressable my software, and isn't just built-in. One of the first things my wife does when she gets in the car when I'm driving is turn off the vents on her side. It isn't about just setting it 'warmer' on her side, either. Being able to close vents on one side of the car should not even have been something I would have considered "not possible". WTH This may need an "@elonmusk" to address.

Reactions: ratsbew
Well, I can't seem to find a way to turn off the passenger-side vents other than the automatic capability if someone is not sitting in the passenger seat. What a fail at any price point. This is the most basic of features that was over-engineered out of this solution. Since it can automatically turn off, I have to think there is a software update that could enable this capability - probably the only way to get this into Elon's view is through Twitter?. Low expectations on the rear fan speed being adjustable, as it seems to be linked to the front fan speed, so and looking at Monro's videos, there doesn't seem to be a rear fan system to control.

Try splitting apart the airflow on her side so it doesn’t blow on her. If that doesn’t suffice then get a new wife.

683A7601-8CE6-4956-94FD-EAA1EF4B3860.jpeg

Last edited:
The only way I've figured out how to turn the AC off on the passenger side in my Model Y is to turn the AC off and then turn the AC right back on. It will turn ON with driver side only and leave the passenger side off until touched on the screen.

Reactions: jcanoe
My wife hates that our Model 3 doesn't allow her to turn off her vents on the passenger side independently like 99% of other cars. I agree with her, this is a big design oversight.

Does the Model Y allow you to turn off the face-level vents on the passenger side while remaining open on the driver's side?

The manual on page 125 says "When Model Y detects that there are no passengers sitting in the passenger seat, the passenger vent and controls automatically turn off. Adjust the climate settings to enable passenger air flow". The Model 3's manual does not have this sentence which gives me hope that you can turn off the passenger side vent.

Can any current owners let me know about this? It's a major factor in us deciding to buy a Model Y.

Thanks!
Voice command: “ turn off passenger side vents”. Works in my Y