Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front Passenger Air Vent - Can you turn it off?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had the same issue and ended up buying this thing someone was selling. Expensive for what it is but it does slide behind the screen when not needed. Wife is happy so I’m happy.

Not sure about rules on posting links like this. Anyway I’m not affiliated with the guy selling it.

• Informative
Reactions: DarthPierce
So do we agree that the best current workaround for cooling is to split the air stream by spreading two fingers on the touch screen, and also lifting the air stream to the highest position? Not counting extra equipment, that is.

For heating there is a simpler, near-perfect solution—switch off the body-level vents entirely and only use the bottom vents. At least for moderately cold winter days, the ground-level vents suffice.

If you follow the photos I post to this and instructions, this should work for you.

E6F522CB-4D7B-4B40-AB09-FE04EB5D6C71.jpeg

Hold the passenger thermostat for 2 seconds and the air will shut off completely.

06CAA2CC-BF6C-4680-A121-320E28E74218.jpeg
E298D3C6-1B3F-468B-9C7F-AA7332A58A6E.jpeg

This is what the driver side looks like.

06CAA2CC-BF6C-4680-A121-320E28E74218.jpeg

Now press the Driver’s side thermostat to turn the air on and only the Driver’s side will turn on.

30150D69-417E-414A-837A-4A0E29DE71B0.jpeg
13993A61-F705-4BE3-862F-9E5B6C24528F.jpeg

I hope this helps everyone!

If you follow the photos I post to this and instructions, this should work for you.

View attachment 819145

Hold the passenger thermostat for 2 seconds and the air will shut off completely.

View attachment 819146View attachment 819147

View attachment 819146

Now press the Driver’s side thermostat to turn the air on and only the Driver’s side will turn on.

View attachment 819151View attachment 819152

Thanks very much! I can't wait to try this later today. Just to confirm, this shuts off the passenger airflow when a passenger is seated and not just removes the second thermostat right?

Last edited:

View attachment 819145

View attachment 819146View attachment 819147

View attachment 819146

View attachment 819151View attachment 819152

I tried this few times but it did not work for me.
What is your software version?
Does this work for you all the time?
It wasn't one time glitch thing?

2 second press on the climate does not work (2022 MYP from Berlin) it just turns off or on both sides at once regardless on which side you press.
My wife is also going crazy! Im a big aircon fan and she is the exact opposite.
I was sure, till today, I just don't know how to turn off the passenger side vent, but now I can not believe this is actually a design flaw.
The car can fart on each separate seat but you can not control the ventilation?
The funny thing is that the car is well capable of turning it off when no one is sitting in the passenger seat. So, the valve is there.
And you can easily turn off and on back ventilation.
Why the heck does a car have to rape the passenger with the drivers ventilation as soon as the passenger is detected on the passenger seat but otherwise the car "knows" to turn it off.
I don't get it, in ALL other 10+ cars I've owned the amount passenger ventilation was mechanically controlled by closing or opening the vent lids.
I would even understand that Tesla would not make amount of the ventilation selective for the passenger to avoid additional costs.

Well, I can't seem to find a way to turn off the passenger-side vents other than the automatic capability if someone is not sitting in the passenger seat. What a fail at any price point. This is the most basic of features that was over-engineered out of this solution. Since it can automatically turn off, I have to think there is a software update that could enable this capability - probably the only way to get this into Elon's view is through Twitter?. Low expectations on the rear fan speed being adjustable, as it seems to be linked to the front fan speed, so and looking at Monro's videos, there doesn't seem to be a rear fan system to control.
Ok I think I found a fix. When you get in the car turn off the the the power button on the left top of screen make sure you have the AC button on. Make sure the control is on manual.

If she now want AC just tap hey vent on the screen.

I tried this few times but it did not work for me.
What is your software version?
Does this work for you all the time?
It wasn't one time glitch thing?

Same here. I have 2021 MYLR 2022.20.7 (USA) and the technique didn't work for me either. Holding the passenger's side for 2 seconds turns both fans off. But touching or holding the driver's side turns both fans on. I can't get the passenger's side off when someone is sitting in the passenger's seat.

Likewise, if there is no one in the passenger seat, then the passenger fan is off. And I can turn it on and off with a touch. But then when my wife sits in the passenger seat then the passenger fan comes on and won't go off. I even tried having it off, then having her get it, but it still came on and won't go off.

This is one of those incredibly frustrating things.

Scott

--

MYLR | Red ext | White int | 19" | 5 seats | tow | no FSD | made/delivered Oct 2021