Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front passenger "airbag deactivated" with passenger in seat

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an 08/2019 delivered MS 100D Long Range in Germany.

From the day of delivery I have had frequent occurrences where the "airbag deactivated" icon is on (top right hand corner of screen), even though a) the airbag is turned ON in the system and b) there is a passenger in the seat.

I've been to the SeC twice about this and no solution was found. Apparently this has been "escalated" to Fremont, however I hear no feedback (and it's impossible to call the SeC in Germany - yes, this is true....but topic for another post).

I've been told that the system should use the sensors in the seat to check if there is a passenger in the seat, and if not, deactivated the airbag. If there is a passenger in the seat, the airbag should NOT be deactivated.

One person on the hotline told me that as long as this is not solved I should not let anyone sit there! Next appointment at SeC is on 12/3 !!!!

Has anyone else seen this phenomenon? Any ideas?

IMG_2875.jpg IMG_3585.jpg

I am having the same issue with my 2021 M3P. My wife weighs about 135lbs, and the passenger side airbag is off (disabled) about 20% of the time when she is sitting in it. Each time it happens, I write down the exact time/date, and take a pic of the screen, making sure to get her knees along with the time and the indicator in the upper right corner of the screen showing that it is disabled. I had the car in service in January, and they couldn't find any issue. I just got back from service again today, and they tried to tell me it is safer for a petit passenger not to have the airbag deploy. I get that with a child, but 135lbs is a normal size adult woman. I also had put seat covers on, and they tried to blame it on the seat covers. I allowed them to remove the seat covers, and then they said the issue didn't happen for them again. I tried to tell them it is intermittent, but they didn't want to check any further. As soon as I got home, I had my wife sit in the car, and sure enough, with no seat covers on, the passenger side airbag was disabled. I logged the date/time, and took another pic, this time showing more of the position of the seat. They had also given me the "direct" email address to the service center, so I sent me new data to them via email.
I guess at this point, I'm just going to log the issue EVERY time it happens, then submit another service request.

Pete
2021 Model 3 Performance

I am having the same issue with my 2021 M3P. My wife weighs about 135lbs, and the passenger side airbag is off (disabled) about 20% of the time when she is sitting in it. Each time it happens, I write down the exact time/date, and take a pic of the screen, making sure to get her knees along with the time and the indicator in the upper right corner of the screen showing that it is disabled. I had the car in service in January, and they couldn't find any issue. I just got back from service again today, and they tried to tell me it is safer for a petit passenger not to have the airbag deploy. I get that with a child, but 135lbs is a normal size adult woman. I also had put seat covers on, and they tried to blame it on the seat covers. I allowed them to remove the seat covers, and then they said the issue didn't happen for them again. I tried to tell them it is intermittent, but they didn't want to check any further. As soon as I got home, I had my wife sit in the car, and sure enough, with no seat covers on, the passenger side airbag was disabled. I logged the date/time, and took another pic, this time showing more of the position of the seat. They had also given me the "direct" email address to the service center, so I sent me new data to them via email.
I guess at this point, I'm just going to log the issue EVERY time it happens, then submit another service request.

Pete
2021 Model 3 Performance
You need to file a complaint with NTSB Report a Safety Problem | NHTSA

I'll give them one more chance to resolve the issue. I plan to have at least 5 event date/times captured before scheduling another service to resolve this. I should hopefully have these 5 events in a couple of days.

Thanks,
Pete
2021 Model 3 Performance

I'll give them one more chance to resolve the issue. I plan to have at least 5 event date/times captured before scheduling another service to resolve this. I should hopefully have these 5 events in a couple of days.

Thanks,
Pete
2021 Model 3 Performance
I would suggest taking videos instead of pictures. if you are in an accident and the airbag does not deploy for your passenger and they are hurt or killed because of it, Tesla is liable