TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Front passenger door doesn't open

Discussion in 'Model X' started by dnarva14, May 5, 2016.

1. dnarva14

dnarva14 Member

Everyone,
    I am having an issue where the front passenger door won't open from the outside, from the inside or the screen. Has anyone else had this issue? I called SC and have an appointment tomorrow. The most annoying part, is the Door open alarm sound blares.

Thanks!

2. ecrsail

ecrsail Member

3. dnarva14

dnarva14 Member

Yes, but the part about the door always opening from the inside doesn't seem to apply to me:(

4. vjlvjl

vjlvjl Bluebird

#4 vjlvjl, May 5, 2016
    Last edited: May 5, 2016
    Yes,I have the identical problem.The SC diagnozed it as a faulty latch.They have ordered the latch - I take it in next week to get it fixed. I don't know what they did but they were able to tweak something that told the system the door is closed, and hence no more blaring alarm bells. They told me this is a temporary fix and will last only as long as I don't open the door again. They offered to loan me a Model S but I declined since they were able to turn off the warning alarm. I could live with not opening the passenger door for a few days.

5. dnarva14

dnarva14 Member

Great. I will most likely do the same thing. Don't want to stop driving this amazing car!

at.

6. Drivin

Drivin Member

There is no reason to stop driving it, nor even waste time at the SC.

The car has 4 doors and the trunk - so there are 4 other ways a person can get into the front seat. That is why this extra redundancy was built into the car. Live. The. Vision.

7. Lyon

Lyon 2016 S P100DL, 2016 X P90D

We had the same issue. Called the SC. They ordered a new door latch, installed it, now it works perfectly.

8. dnarva14

dnarva14 Member

I enter and exit through the falcon wing doors anyway. Feel that it's more dramatic that way.

• Funny x 4
  9. suresv

suresv Member

I have had this issue couple of times. First time when I took delivery a month ago - they said they needed to replace the latch and replaced it. Took an hr to fix. Happened again a week ago. Took it to the service center and they fixed it in about 5 mins. They said they reset the doors. I asked how and they said not recommended for customers as they pulled a few fuses out and put them back!!

10. Dalia

Dalia Member

Same here. The first time they just reset the computer, but it happened again and again and finally they figured it was the latch. So if they tell you it's the computer, it's not. Many Xs have this issue and it needs for the latch to be replaced.

11. dnarva14

dnarva14 Member

So, dropped off the X after having it for 10 days. They need to order the latch. The SC told me a couple of days but when he ordered my SUV replacement from Enterprise, he said "at least 5 days". ☹️

12. GregKo

GregKo Member

I think I have a similar problem. Story on this post.

Greg

13. ModelXBoy

ModelXBoy No More Door Captain of TMC! Oh Yeah Baby!

I think i have the door problems more often than most people on this forum. The X is in SC again to fix doors. They are still waiting to find out the reason why it's so problematic.

14. K-MTG

K-MTG Sunshade Captain of TMC

Again! Must be a hassle to visit the service center weekly or do they come over to pick up your X?

They need to get you your replacement X already, they are lucky to have a customer like you.

15. ModelXBoy

This is the 11-13 times I have been to SC. I lost count already. I got two loaners already, first time white Model S 60 KWH, second time red Model S P85 which I got yesterday. The second loaner is by far the nicest. Well, my model x is truly one of a kind. The quality is just better than the youtube video we saw and hated so much. The overall quality of my X if I to rate it will be 3.5 out of 10. It is what it is. I am less involved with the forum now due to the lack of confidence with my X. Felt great for other owners who got a flawless X, felt extremely sad for myself for having a very troublesome yet severe misaligned X.

16. K-MTG

Ouch for 3.5/10 and 13 times at the SC! Do you live close to the SC? I couldn't imagine going their weekly due to issues even though I live about 12 miles away but traffic on the 55 is always horrible.

Looks like they need to expand or relocate the Costa Mesa service, when I went about a month ago to pickup my Wall Connector they seemed to be very crowded.

17. ModelXBoy

Not too far. Still around 15 min drive local tho.

18. K-MTG

But I guess I shouldn't be complaint, I am only 15 miles from SC while others are 150 miles

19. afdfog

afdfog Member

Make sure the setting for door unlock is in the All setting.

20. afdfog

afdfog Member

My X was in the shop for two days trying to figure out why the driver's door would not open from the outside. Turns out it was only the setting for the unlock door. It was in the (Driver only) setting and should have been in All.