Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front Passenger Door Failure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have an email in to the SC, but figured I'd see if anyone's ever seen this before.

Front passenger door can only be opened from the inside handle. When closed manually, the soft-close latch pulls the door closed properly and the window adjusts to seal.

17" display shows the door graphically as closed, but the icon to open/close the door only shows close. Mirror won't fold or move, window won't go down (except the 1/2 inch or so when the door is opened/closed manually). Car can't be locked with fob or phone app, no summon.

No warnings about an open door or anything when I drive.

Only way to lock the car right now is open the passenger door (manually) before I get out, close the drivers door, come around through the passenger door to lock the car on the 17" display and manually close the passenger door.

Oddly enough, car won't wake up or unlock when I return, I have to unlock with the phone app or double click the fob.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
Have you tried rebooting? Hold both scroll wheels down for something like 10 seconds and the MCU will reboot.

Jeff
Yeah, unfortunately with no luck. I've also tried a door re-calibration.

A few weeks ago, I had an issue where the door actuation motor wouldn't disengage when you moved the door manually. Opening the door manually or electronically would result in it popping open 1" or so and any attempt to move it manually was met with full resistance through the entire door arc. After several attempts to open/close the door it finally went back to normal. SC reported no trouble found, but my assumption is that they simply opened and closed the door a few times and didn't actually take anything apart looking for a defect.

I suppose it could be completely unrelated, but my feeling is whatever was marginal before has finally just given up.

My expectations for reliability on the Model X weren't terribly high coming in, but I was hoping that 7700 miles as a demo vehicle meant most of the kinks would be worked out.

This will be my 3rd significant service visit in under 3 months of ownership.

You might need new latches...are you an early owner?
It's an 11/16 build purchased from inventory on 7/31/17. VIN 26xxx and a P100D, so not really even that early of a build.

I'll be happy if it's just a latch. If I can get through an original round of problems fixed with upgraded parts and then spend the next 5-6 years relatively trouble free, I'll be happy.

It's an 11/16 build purchased from inventory on 7/31/17. VIN 26xxx and a P100D, so not really even that early of a build.

I'll be happy if it's just a latch. If I can get through an original round of problems fixed with upgraded parts and then spend the next 5-6 years relatively trouble free, I'll be happy.

Definitely...you don’t really see that many people complaining about doors anymore....so definitely a fix