Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front Passenger Door Not Operating

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

lloyds

Apr 3, 2013
Bay Area
Since service is closed today, wanted to reach out to see if this is an easy fix. My passenger door does not pop open when I press the handle from outside. The only way to open is from the inside by pulling on door handle. Even when pressing the open button on screen, it doesnt work. Is there a way to fix this?

Since service is closed today, wanted to reach out to see if this is an easy fix. My passenger door does not pop open when I press the handle from outside. The only way to open is from the inside by pulling on door handle. Even when pressing the open button on screen, it doesnt work. Is there a way to fix this?

I have this same problem and schedule to bring the car in. When I mentioned to them, they said they are going to order a back up latch incase that's it. My auto open is sporadic. Sometimes it works great...sometimes not (for passenger)

Also when it auto closes it doesn't always show locked and the car will beep as if the door is open. The only way we consistent get it to close when we get that error is to lightly close the door and allow the auto close mechanism to close it.

This may sound silly, but is it locked?

It took me a little while to figure out and understand the locking/unlocking of the doors.
I had it set to unlock only the driver's door when the key fob approaches.
As a result, when I approach the car and push the passenger button, nothing happens.
When I approach the car and open the wings with the key fob, the wings open no problem and I load the kids.
However, this DOES NOT unlock the doors. So my wife would push the button on the passenger door, and nothing happens.
It took a while for me to figure out that it was STILL locked, and I had to double click the roof of the fob.

I still haven't worked out when I need to double-click ONCE vs double click TWICE. I would've thought that I needed to double click twice to open all the doors, but it seems to work when I only double click once....

Its just harder to figure out when there is no obvious visual sign of being locked or not...

Reactions: Roentgen
My X has been to the service center twice because of this problem. No user fix for it. First time they "recalibrated". Second time, they installed new latch and still had same problem. A software update supposedly fixed it.

Still, the door makes clicking sound when opened which worries me something is about to blow, and the passenger side won't close when I put my foot on the brake, but I consider that a minor problem.

Kinda sad about that. I liked it - I would wait for the wife to get in, press the brake, and both doors would close with a nice authoritative thump! Like it's saying "we're ready to get the f outta here!"
My problem, and still in my brain today, is that I subconsciously put my foot on the brake to keep the car from moving (or thinking I should have to). Every other car we have is a stick. So I was (am) a spousal abuser.

My other quirks are wanting to set/unset a parking brake and reaching down in front of the console to put the car in various running states (ie the automatic shifter). Still not quite used to the backup camera but it's growing on me fast. But I still have a heavy dependence on the side mirrors too because my single wide garage door only has 4" clearance on each mirror and that is my gauge.

• Funny
Reactions: Roentgen
lloyds - Has this been resolved? Can you give us any details?
Kutu ...have the car scheduled to look at.

I dropped in to the fremont center to have a look because it may be a quick fix...when I got there a tech came out to look at it. In a minute or so, he says the latch may need replacement.

Kinda bummed ...only have 150 miles and already in. On another note, this started happening:

I have faith in Tesla fixing these things, but just a bit disappointed of these things on a new car.

20160422_164841.jpg
20160422_164847.jpg

lloyds - Thanks for the update. I'm sure Tesla will take care of you, but it is a hassle! That brake problem seem to be a new one. Do you notice any driveability issues?

It has happened 4 times already and all when I start up the vehicle by putting it in Drive mode. When this happens, the throttle response is little, so I would need to step on it a little harder to get the car moving.

It has happened 4 times already and all when I start up the vehicle by putting it in Drive mode. When this happens, the throttle response is little, so I would need to step on it a little harder to get the car moving.
I would suspect some sensor(s) is defective. Should be an easy fix once they can do the diagnostics.

On another front shouldn't the car have enough built in diagnostics that it detects these anomalies long before they become an issue? Seems like it should tell you that you need to bring it in for service and within a few hours you should get an email and/or phone call from Tesla and your local service center asking you when you can bring it in. Heck, washing machines do this now as well as many auto makers. You would think Tesla would be ahead of the game in this area.

I would suspect some sensor(s) is defective. Should be an easy fix once they can do the diagnostics.

On another front shouldn't the car have enough built in diagnostics that it detects these anomalies long before they become an issue? Seems like it should tell you that you need to bring it in for service and within a few hours you should get an email and/or phone call from Tesla and your local service center asking you when you can bring it in. Heck, washing machines do this now as well as many auto makers. You would think Tesla would be ahead of the game in this area.
I agree, but I think Tesla is trying to deal with all the issues of pushing the car out to beat the numbers. I have already met 2 handful of Model X owners at the superchargers and most have some issues with the doors. I will be patient with Tesla tho.