Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front passenger door rubbing fender

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I picked up my car I noticed that the passenger side front door gap at the fender was much closer than the driver. It looked tight but the delivery person said it’s in spec. I tested it several times and it did not rub so I let it be.

Fast forward to today, 10 days after getting the car and I hear a Pop sound when someone was getting out of the car on the passenger side. I go check and sure enough it’s rubbing about 1/2 way down the door where the front door meets up to the fender.

I sure hope Tesla will send a mobile tech out. I’m two hours from the SC and can’t spend a vacation day getting my car fixed.

Okay - let me ask this question - since this issue is not a simple cosmetic problem is there a way to escalate it with Tesla so they fix it quickly? For now I feel like I can’t use the passenger door since it is rubbing the paint off each time it opens. I scheduled service via the app but it is for a visit to the Sc, it did not give me the mobile option.

My front passenger door also sits much closer to the fender than driver's door. It doesn't seem to be rubbing, but it was making creaking sounds yesterday, most likely from the hinge area, but it could be alignment issue too. It sounds fine today - will see if it happens again...

Same problem here.
I took delivery on the end of may.

Passenger door rubs on an approx 2 inch long area.
Would like to have updates on this if someone have some.

I was in the process of contacting them to see if they can fix it !

Did they give you a loaner? Just discovered this on my car today. Noticed a creaking noise from the front passenger car door. Sure enough the fender and the door were rubbing. It looks like there are chips on multiple areas of the door and fender, small ones but still frustrating.

Same here. All doors installed wrong.
Screenshot_20190717-114810.jpg
! :(

So, did they fixed it ? no more fender rubbing ?

Just picked the car up this afternoon. I was in a hurry and was only able to do a quick check. The passenger side door gap is definitely opened up and door doesn’t seem to rub. At first glance things seem to be better. Tomorrow I’ll have time to really look it over. But seems promising so far. I drove 2 hours each way and literally spent enough time to move my stuff from the rental car loaner to the 3, walked around the car, tried the passenger door and left.

Just got back home from my appointment. I didn't check the door before I left...BIG MISTAKE. The door not does not engage correctly now and gets pushed down during lock engagement. I will have to call tomorrow and complain. I do not want to drive another 300/mi round trip and waste hours of my day again.

Summary: Rubbing fixed, new problem. Trust, but verify.

Just got back home from my appointment. I didn't check the door before I left...BIG MISTAKE. The door not does not engage correctly now and gets pushed down during lock engagement. I will have to call tomorrow and complain. I do not want to drive another 300/mi round trip and waste hours of my day again.

Summary: Rubbing fixed, new problem. Trust, but verify.

Sorry to hear that. I get it. I’m 110 miles from my SC too.