Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front Passenger Door Unlatched While Driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
About 2/3 of the way into my morning commute, the front passenger door on my MS unlatched itself. The "door open" warning started beeping, and I could hear wind noise coming through the gap between the door and body. I pulled over and sure enough, the door was ajar. Opened it all the way, closed it firmly, kept on driving.

Of course, now I'm worried about the quality of the door latching mechanisms. I'm taking it into the SC this week to have it checked out. In the meantime, I'm curious if any other Model S owners have seen this issue. I searched the forums, but the posts that I reviewed were several years old. This car is a late 2016 75D, FWIW.

Last edited:
Mid-2016 75D here, and I haven't personally had this issue. Given the number of times I've closed the doors without closing them hard enough, I can sort of see how that would lead to what you experienced. But just a hunch.

When's the last time that door was open/closed before the incident?

• Informative
Reactions: eager0
Mid-2016 75D here, and I haven't personally had this issue. Given the number of times I've closed the doors without closing them hard enough, I can sort of see how that would lead to what you experienced. But just a hunch.

When's the last time that door was open/closed before the incident?
Good question, maybe 3-4 days prior. I'm confident the door was closed properly; I like to think I've mastered the art of closing the door firmly but not vigorously.

Reactions: dss33
My rear passenger door has twice in the last month spontaneously opened itself. Once while parked and once while driving. This is the same door that was previously worked on by service as too difficult to open. Now it's very light. I suspect the adjustment to 'pull' the door open is off. Going back into service tomorrow and this is an item for them to look at.

This happened to me last year. I called the SC and they immediately proposed to come in.
They found the cable inside the door was slightly off, so that a bump could cause it to trigger. They had previously replaced the windows and fixed the handle. Guess this happened during that work. They corrected and no issues since then.

Visit to the SC was productive. The tech reviewed the car's logs when the door popped open, and said that the handle had presented itself, retracted, presented, retracted, presented, and then went into unknown status before the door popped open. He said I was the second person that week with handle-related issues. Fix was to replace the handle altogether.

Two other issues I had looked at: the driver's side mirror wouldn't open all the way when starting the car. I could close the mirrors then open them and that would usually fix the issue. But they replaced the entire mirror and said it was a known issue. Also, I asked about the Slacker radio issues. The explanation I received was related to the security of each station being changed by Slacker. I didn't feel like pushing the issue. But even with the latest firmware, I'd say that streaming is almost useless at this point.

• Informative
Reactions: jjh1234