Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front Passenger Safety Restraint System Fault

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am still bitter from this bad experience.
I want to share it with everyone and to warn you how expensive it is to do repairs out of warrantly.

Last month my car (Model 3 SR+ , 2019, 90k miles, out of warranty) started showing an RCM_a056 error (Front passenger safety restraint system fault) every time I depart.
A mobile technician came in and tried a fix that didn't work. They sent me to the service center. The original quote grew from $200 to $2000 and once the work is done they arrived at $2,800. After negotiating hard, I managed to lower it to $2,650.
The most rediculous thing is that the new sensor itself costs just $11, it is listed in the invoice.

Here is a bit of technical details for anyone interested:

The sensor detects if an adult or a small child is sitting in the front passenger seat, by meauring the weight.
In a crash, if an adult is in the seat, the airbag in front of him will deploy; for a child, the airbag will not deploy, to avoid killing it.

The old seat sesnor (part 1121234-70-B, see picture below) sits under the passenger seat cussion and connects to a black plastic box ( part 1100036-00-C, I think Tesla calls it OCS, aka occupancy control system) under the seat. From there, it is plugged into the "right seat harness" that goes under the right front door sill to the front airbag. You can see a guy angrily yanking it out from a seat at

A brief research shows that this desigh has given Tesla quite a lot of troubles, like random errors showing up due to interefence from phones);
They used a "OCS filter module", part 1505034-00-B alog with a ferrite ring to try fixing these inteference problems. This is what the tesla mobile technician tried to do for me, but it didn't work, as my seat sensor was faulty.

So sometime in the last few years tesla overhauled their faulty design and started using a different seat sensor (part 099592-00-F). Unfortunatelly, it is not compattible with the front airbag, so replacing he sensor requires replacing the front airbag too, which inflates the repair costs. Strangely, the "OCS, aka occupancy control system" black box under the seat does not need replacement; my car still has the original one.

Here are the 3 repair items in my invoice:
- Retrofit SBR in OCSEquipped Front Passenger Seat -Remove and Replace : $ 187 plus 1 hour of labor.
- Replace Front PassengerAirbag And Update Vehicle Configuration: $995.20 plus 2 hours of labor.
- Trim - Cushion - FrontPassenger Seat (Remove & Replace): $880 plus 1.74 hours of labor.
-----
Total: $2,781.

Finally, mu grudge is: Tesla revamped their faulty seat sensor design which involves replacing more just the sensor. I had to paid thousands of dollars more for that.

Enjoy your Tesla 3, I still like mine after this.
Thanks for the detailed report. I'm hoping that those who had to pay for this repair, get compensated, eventually, because this sounds like an original existing problem with the design, that Tesla should be responsible for, and not a gotcha because the owner didn't get an error until after the warranty expired.

Got the RCM_a056 last night. I thought my warranty was over today so I made a service request last night.

Nope, warranty was over on 22 Jan is what they are telling me.

Is there a Server Manager I can ping to see if they will offer to fix this under warranty?

If not, I can swap parts and will try to find the original parts and see what happens...

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
- Retrofit SBR in OCSEquipped Front Passenger Seat -Remove and Replace : $ 187 plus 1 hour of labor.
- Replace Front PassengerAirbag And Update Vehicle Configuration: $995.20 plus 2 hours of labor.
- Trim - Cushion - FrontPassenger Seat (Remove & Replace): $880 plus 1.74 hours of labor.
-----

That seat-cushion line is strange... pretty sure other people have had this done without needing to replace the seat cushion... maybe it was damaged during removal?

I am still bitter from this bad experience.
I want to share it with everyone and to warn you how expensive it is to do repairs out of warrantly.

Last month my car (Model 3 SR+ , 2019, 90k miles, out of warranty) started showing an RCM_a056 error (Front passenger safety restraint system fault) every time I depart.
A mobile technician came in and tried a fix that didn't work. They sent me to the service center. The original quote grew from $200 to $2000 and once the work is done they arrived at $2,800. After negotiating hard, I managed to lower it to $2,650.
The most rediculous thing is that the new sensor itself costs just $11, it is listed in the invoice.

Here is a bit of technical details for anyone interested:

The sensor detects if an adult or a small child is sitting in the front passenger seat, by meauring the weight.
In a crash, if an adult is in the seat, the airbag in front of him will deploy; for a child, the airbag will not deploy, to avoid killing it.

The old seat sesnor (part 1121234-70-B, see picture below) sits under the passenger seat cussion and connects to a black plastic box ( part 1100036-00-C, I think Tesla calls it OCS, aka occupancy control system) under the seat. From there, it is plugged into the "right seat harness" that goes under the right front door sill to the front airbag. You can see a guy angrily yanking it out from a seat at

A brief research shows that this desigh has given Tesla quite a lot of troubles, like random errors showing up due to interefence from phones);
They used a "OCS filter module", part 1505034-00-B alog with a ferrite ring to try fixing these inteference problems. This is what the tesla mobile technician tried to do for me, but it didn't work, as my seat sensor was faulty.

So sometime in the last few years tesla overhauled their faulty design and started using a different seat sensor (part 099592-00-F). Unfortunatelly, it is not compattible with the front airbag, so replacing he sensor requires replacing the front airbag too, which inflates the repair costs. Strangely, the "OCS, aka occupancy control system" black box under the seat does not need replacement; my car still has the original one.

-----

Finally, mu grudge is: Tesla revamped their faulty seat sensor design which involves replacing more just the sensor. I had to paid thousands of dollars more for that.

Enjoy your Tesla 3, I still like mine after this.

good stuff folks - thanks for posting.
I started getting the a021 fault (FL safety restraint system fault) back in Dec. 2023. 2018 Model 3 LR AWD. Warranty ended in October.
just booked service appt (Seattle) - estimate is $640 plus tax for " prelim, subject to change, allows tech to properly inspect and diagnose concerns...estimate includes replcing driver's seat wiring harness and seat pretensioner.." I asked if, recognizing the numerous reports of bad connector/connection, there was an option to just fix the connection point, not whole harness...response was simply "that connector is included in harness replacement'.

Will crawl under the seat tonite to see if I can trip/clear the fault by wiggling the connector. If so, likely won't get the service done, although I have an outstanding recall to take care of ("Trunk Lid Harness" -- anyone know what this is about?) -so may take it in anyway.....

I started getting the a021 fault (FL safety restraint system fault) back in Dec. 2023. 2018 Model 3 LR AWD. Warranty ended in October.
just booked service appt (Seattle) - estimate is $640 plus tax for " prelim, subject to change, allows tech to properly inspect and diagnose concerns...estimate includes replcing driver's seat wiring harness and seat pretensioner.." I asked if, recognizing the numerous reports of bad connector/connection, there was an option to just fix the connection point, not whole harness...response was simply "that connector is included in harness replacement'.

Will crawl under the seat tonite to see if I can trip/clear the fault by wiggling the connector. If so, likely won't get the service done, although I have an outstanding recall to take care of ("Trunk Lid Harness" -- anyone know what this is about?) -so may take it in anyway.....
Oh, the trunk lid harness, that was ages ago. But they did it at their leisure since they had a shortage of those harnesses. Just checked mine was done 13months ago.
1706149801872.jpeg

So, had my appt today to replace the OCS and retrofit the compatible airbag, under warranty. Yes, I know I was lucky. The Service Center in Peabody was mobbed, so I dropped off my car and got a loaner. Interestingly, they had a Cybertruck and original Roadster in the lobby. Apparently, it's the one they had in downtown Boston, so I got to look at it closely.
IMG_2557.jpeg

Since I didn't want to make an extra trip to eventually fix that cabin camera error, triggered by the Holiday update, I asked them to replace it, if they had time; otherwise, I'd just buy the chip and replace it myself. They said they could do it, and that the labor was minimal, so I agreed to let them do it. Bargain, it's only $25 to install, though the $10 camera module costs $330!
1706150409981.jpeg

Follow up -- found the pretensioner connector and lo and behold -- if i move the wires right at the connector i can get fault to appear and disappear!. and as others have noted, if i raise the seat up all the way, fault goes away -- fault triggers when seat moves to saved driver settings, as well as the 'easy entry' setting.

may play around with settings and also see if i can secure the wires (zipties, electric tape?) in a position that mitigates the fault...

if anyone's got a good suggestion from your own experience on how to resolve this WITHOUT going through the service center total harness replacement - let me know. on one hand, i'm not inclined to get the work done, but on the other, since it's related to safety (and it's my wife's daily driver) - leaning toward getting it done to ensure safety features work if in an accident --- anyone know if the pretensioner circuit is tied to airbag deployment? or in general , if the fault is there, what the implications would be in an accident? (this is the anchor so would think the upper side of belt system would still catch and restrain upper body, just not pull down the lap anchor?

noticed the ~$700 estimate includes only roughly an hour labor for R&R, but then an additonal hour for 'Circuit Integrity testing/diagnosis' -- when i suggest that's ridiculous, the response i get is 'that's just an estimate; the check can take up to an hour; more or less depending on the technician.' and they didn't respond to whether that was a 'diagnosis/troubleshooting' effort before replacement, or if it's check out AFTER the work.....

follow up post service visit for the fix --- unfortunately couldn't find a way to secure the pretensioner connector wiring to mitigate the fault...
Got the driver seat harness replaced and trunk harness recall done. total landed at $592 (after i had to point out i wasn't paying for the misc. time and supplies on the recall which showed up on the bill ~$16.). Still pissed that the technician's actual charged time amazingly equalled - to the .01 hour - the RMT estimate for the work (.72 hrs for R&R, 1.00 hr for 'diagnosis: low voltage circuit integrity check'--- i have a hard time imagining that they spent an hour on the 'integrity check' after install --
Seattle service Center sucks --- or is it all these days? $210/hr labor rate?????? Not to mention --- they damaged the paint finish of the trunk lid during harness work - appears they used a metal object to pop the rubber seal at trunk lid penetration, and didn't even have the courtesy to re-secure the rubber boot, re-secure the plastic trim to the trunk lid, nor even snip the tails off the zipties when securing the reworked harness.

Tesla did great on technology of an EV, and the cars are a joy to drive; But Tesla's service is the worst i've had over my 35+ years of owning cars -- including Chevy, Saab, VW, Jeep (although Jeep is not far behind..)

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
And I got my car back today, after it sat in the Service Center for a week! They were busy, so I could see that it sat around until Monday when they started working on it. Probably took them a couple hours to replace the OCS and the airbag. They replaced the wire harness to the seat a 2nd time, noting excessive loctite and a cross-threaded bolt. And, they replaced the cabin camera module. Labor was 1/8th of an hour, so $25.

Anyway, I drove home, 2 ½hrs and no passenger seat errors and no cabin camera errors. FSDb ran perfectly. Yay!

Since I got to drive the 2019 loaner for a week, I could compare it to my 2018. I did notice the OEM Continental tires did very well in 2-3" of slush, especially since the rear tires were down to the wear bars. I'd definitely consider them if I ran all-season tires.
IMG_2588.jpeg

The B-pillar was very noisy, and I'm glad I did all the sound-proofing I did 4 to 5yrs ago. No individual thing made a difference, it was the cumulative effect.

The rear camera was blurry, so I'm glad I got mine changed under warranty a couple years go. I forgot the side cams also have an image tearing effect. I don't know how the car's computer can make heads and tails of it, but it was constantly giving me the FSD degraded due to multiple side cams occluded, error. I think it must have every time I drove it. Annoying. Not to mention the frame rate was about 5fps.
IMG_2595.jpeg

My 2018 currently has none of those issues, but that may be because I've had the HW3 upgrade. I vaguely recall some tearing issues with the sidecams, but I thought those were software issues. FSDb worked fine on the loaner, but the constant camera errors would be massively annoying.

I feel grateful that the OCS is finally fixed, but the reality is, it should have been fixed right from the start, and it should be a warranty item for all those people affected. Same with the cabin camera. I would never have known it was bad, until they activated it for the FSDb during the holiday update. Should be warranty, but for $330, I'm not going to fight about it, since I saved myself an extra multi-hour trip. Good luck to all, and I hope someday we get retroactive warranties on this stuff, and reimbursed.

• Informative
Reactions: mgs333
I have the same problem, and I hate that Tesla makes me pay for their fault (the car is in the shop). They'd rather let us die. Any ideas on how to proceed to make the change? So unfair and careless!