Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front Passenger Safety Restraint System Fault

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have had this problem, now for the third time.

First time mobile service installed the "electrical noise filter" (per service bulletin), and that resolve the problem for about 16 months.

Then had random reoccurrence, and had them look at it during my FSD computer upgrade. Tech said it was just a loose connector, and problem subsided for three months...now it randomly re-occurs (when interior is cooler?) for the first 15-20 minutes of a drive. It's very distracting as it repeats the fault message and alert beep every 15 secondso_O.

Since I'm closing in on 50K miles, I need to get this in again for another service appointment before my warranty expires. Unfortunately the on-line service appointment does not offering "mobile service" so it's a 400 mile round-trip drive for me:mad:.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
Got the issue on my 2019 Model 3. Took it to Burbank Service Center 30 July 2021 to be fixed and was told that the car should be ready 03 Aug 2021. Wondering if you guys have experienced same issue and long service time? This fault was intermittent but decided to take it in.

Wondering if you guys have experienced same issue and long service time?
I needed to get my passenger window replaced in July after a dump truck thru a rock into it. Fortunately the window tint film kept it from showering the passengers inside with glass fragments.
I shopped different Service Center to find the one with the soonest appointments. You can use the app to do this if you have options of Service Centers.
Good Luck.
P.S. My "Passenger Restraint system fault "service bulletin" was fixed by Mobile Service...about 30 minutes.

One of my buddies had this. A partially open water bottle leaked on the seat and it went thru the stitches and wet something in there. While waiting for SC appt. it went away (Prob dried), to never return.

I wonder if this seat sensor is a common prob and they are "installing a repair kit" (Unplugging the sensor and shunting it)...So it doesnt work anymore.
I'm glad you posted this. I just got the error message yesterday and it was out of nowhere while I was driving (with no passenger). This morning I realized my water bottle cap wasn't on tight and it has mostly all leaked out all over the seat soaking it. So I'm almost positive this is what caused my issue. I think I'll give it a few days in the sun to dry out and see what happens from there.

I'm glad you posted this. I just got the error message yesterday and it was out of nowhere while I was driving (with no passenger). This morning I realized my water bottle cap wasn't on tight and it has mostly all leaked out all over the seat soaking it. So I'm almost positive this is what caused my issue. I think I'll give it a few days in the sun to dry out and see what happens from there.
Same thing happened to me! Did your issue resolve with drying or did you need the seat replaced?

One of my buddies had this. A partially open water bottle leaked on the seat and it went thru the stitches and wet something in there. While waiting for SC appt. it went away (Prob dried), to never return.

I wonder if this seat sensor is a common prob and they are "installing a repair kit" (Unplugging the sensor and shunting it)...So it doesnt work anymore.
I had exactly the same problem water bottle spilled about a cup into and seat and got this fault. Service called me and said seat needed to be replaced $2,500. thoughts? Car is still under warranty...

My M3 is a 2018, so I hope they fixed the underlying problem on newer models. There is a service bulletin for the earlier models, to add a field installed electronic "filter" to help prevent false "passenger restraint system fault" messages.

So it shouldn't cost anything if it's covered by a service bulletin, or if your still under warranty.

Joining this fun, fun club.

The car was 6 days old when I first encountered this message. It seemed to be triggered anytime I turned on the front and back defrosters on "auto."

Tesla has spent 2 full days with the vehicle and has replaced the passenger seat entirely. The error is still there. I will update when I know more. Thankfully they gave me a loaner so at least I'm not completely without wheels.

Joining this fun, fun club.

The car was 6 days old when I first encountered this message. It seemed to be triggered anytime I turned on the front and back defrosters on "auto."

Tesla has spent 2 full days with the vehicle and has replaced the passenger seat entirely. The error is still there. I will update when I know more. Thankfully they gave me a loaner so at least I'm not completely without wheels.

Newest update... I hope this helps somebody someday.

After the seat replacement (repair attempt #1), the Service Center technician was advised by the engineer to replace the main body controller on the right side. Today, the replacement was made (attempt #2), but the error still appeared. I am waiting for the service team to provide an update on what will consist of repair attempt #3.

I am growing wary of the waiting, I am slightly aggravated, and I'm wondering if I was sold a lemon.

Good news: the repair was complete on attempt #3. There were no other hardware repairs, and the service center eventually realized that they needed to run another firmware update. After that was complete, the problem was gone. All in all, they had to keep the car for a total of 8 days (7 business days). Just happy to have it back free of charge.

Reactions: julit0