Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front Passenger Safety Restraint System Fault

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've started getting this on my car too, but it only seems to happen when a passenger get out of the car (never getting in)
Just tried reseating the connectors this morning.
Its been really intermittent so I'll see how I get on.
I'm out of warranty now, so not keen on paying Tesla prices for repairs :)

I hate to post this again but I just can't imagine that my experience is unique rather than a common issue. Moving the seat and putting stress on a harness, a connector came loose; pushing it back in fixed the issue. The underlying problem is that the connector does not snap in. I don't know why but unlikely is it unique to my car 12/14/2019. It is very easy to find this by moving the seat back a bit and raising the front of the seat up as far as possible. Then you can easily look up and under the front and you will see the wires with connectors pointing to the front. One will be out further than the other. Push it in. Done.
Thanx, it happened to my seat too and it was an easy fix

I had this issue, made an appointment and so far I have not had this fault message reoccur.
AB30206C-4C4B-45A5-8EA3-86AADACDFC6C.png

What I was told, in my specific situation, is that the car could not determine the weight of the passenger. Because of that, the airbag deployment would be at maximum force instead of being adjusted down for lower weights. It might injure, especially a smaller person, but the airbag would deploy so the worst would be prevented. That's what I understood from their explanations... but I cannot guarantee that you have exactly the same situation I had.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
I got this warning when my 2019 was about a year old. They fixed it with a "service kit". Fast forward to 8/2022 and now at 50067 miles, I received the same error again. I just dropped it off at the service center this morning and after approving warranty work outside the warranty period (67 miles minus "50" at delivery for a whopping 17 miles), they are replacing the entire seat with a new one (back and bottom). According to the advisor, this would be a $2K job outside the warranty period. It seems that something like this could be fixed for much less rather than replacing the entire seat.

• Informative
Just got the warning today for the first time on my 2018 P3D+. Seat cushions were replace in early 2020 due to a wear and tear issue.
Funny enough Tesla added this part into the warranty page since I suspect its happening enough.....

1667592364612.png

I'm at 55,000 miles, and 4.1 years thankfully

• Informative
Sounds like the automatic movement from Profile settings to Easy Entry setting will weaken the cable at the connector and it will come loss or the tines will wear out. Maybe the part fix is to add a little extension to the cable and connector so that it doesn’t pull as much. Will take a look at mine when I get back home.

I’ve had two previous Model 3s with the SRS fault. We demanded a case under LL and (obviously) instantly won in CA. Both vehicles met the clauses of: (1) in service downtime for more than >30 cumulative days and (2) three repeated attempts to repair critical safety equipment.

I've had this issue happen to me multiple times on my 2018 model 3. However I've had Tesla replace the OCS module in October 8, 2021. Now the issue popped up early January of 2023. Tesla is telling me they need to replace the whole seat with an update OCS module. I'm heading over there now and will most likely decline this seat replacement for they're charging me 2K. I ain't paying 2K for a whole new seat. That's just ridiculous. And the moment I brought up this being a safety issue for their team installing a faulty party to begin with on the phone, they were silent for literally 20 seconds. This seems to be quite a large problem. I'll see if I can tweet Elon and get a response over this matter.

Reactions: letterk
I have had this on my ModelY 5 times already...they serviced it 4 times (once at my home and 3 times at Tesla service center) and it just came back every single time, finally they just replaced the front seat 5 days ago...guess what, the warning is BACK AGAIN!?!?! I am getting very aggravated at this point!!!

I have a Front Passenger Safety Restraint System Fault on my 2021 ModelY Performance, the first time it appeared they sent someone to the house to fix it, warning came back... We took it in 3 more times for the repair and IT CAME BACK... Finally, they told us that they should have replaced the seat to begin with so we took it in a 5th time to have this done under warranty. It's been 5 days since they changed the entire seat and the WARNING IS BACK AGAIN!!!

I just completed my repair on my vehicle, using the 5 year / 60,000 mile SRS warranty.

View attachment 884617

I've just joined because of this thread, my 2019 TM3 just surpassed the initial warranty and I'm getting the same error. My local service centre is not honoring the 5y SRS warranty to swap out the passenger seat, they tell me that it only covers the airbags and seatbelts, and as a result want to charge me 3k (canadian) to do the job.

Do you propose any method which I can use to convince them to do the same as yours did? Perhaps I can call your service centre even, if that's OK, and use them as a reference to have my own follow by the same playbook.

• Informative