Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front passenger seat rattle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2022 M3 LR that's had a front passenger seat rattle since the day I took delivery a few weeks ago. It's medium to high pitched and random depending on the condition of the road. When a person is sitting in this seat, the rattle completely goes away. Sort of sounds like a loose plastic piece rubbing against something similar. Very annoying. Doesn't appear to involve the seat belt mechanism. Any ideas on how to address this issue short of taking it into a service center?

I have the same issue. There are a couple of components under the seat with wire harnesses that have somehow loosened enough to hit the plastic cover above them. I tried taping them up, which works for a few days. Now it is making noise again. I may try wrapping them with zip ties or possibly fabric to cushion them.

Here is an excellent video on how to fix a front seat crackling/squeaking/rattling noise.
In my case, the noise has been going on since day one of ownership and I've sworn that it was coming from the right rear of the car.
Noticed that whenever my wife sat in the passenger seat, the noise went away. So after finding this video, I removed the back from the front passenger seat and checked the position of the two grommets discussed in the video and they seemed fine. BUT, I noticed a lot of play involving a black hook about 3 in. wide located near the top of the seat back and attaches to a silver metal plate. I taped the black hook tight against the metal plate to limit movement and I also for good measure secured the small white electrical connector near the bottom left against the yellow bracket. Re-installed the seat back and headrest and went for a drive. NO noise!! So when you have the seat back off, be sure and check the grommets for secure position and also check for excessive play in the black hook part. Hope this helps someone.

Reactions: MetaM3P
Here is an excellent video on how to fix a front seat crackling/squeaking/rattling noise.
In my case, the noise has been going on since day one of ownership and I've sworn that it was coming from the right rear of the car.
Noticed that whenever my wife sat in the passenger seat, the noise went away. So after finding this video, I removed the back from the front passenger seat and checked the position of the two grommets discussed in the video and they seemed fine. BUT, I noticed a lot of play involving a black hook about 3 in. wide located near the top of the seat back and attaches to a silver metal plate. I taped the black hook tight against the metal plate to limit movement and I also for good measure secured the small white electrical connector near the bottom left against the yellow bracket. Re-installed the seat back and headrest and went for a drive. NO noise!! So when you have the seat back off, be sure and check the grommets for secure position and also check for excessive play in the black hook part. Hope this helps someone.
Thanks for the video. I am going to try tomorrow. Tesla replaced my door panels for a separate issue and I hoped it would solve the rattle, but nope!

Also had the rattle under the seat that was never there when a passenger was sitting in it. Even had the SC work on it (I think they stuck some fresh double-sided tape on the loose harness/box). Which lasted a couple of days. I finally zip-tied it myself as others have done.

The one that gave us trouble was right underneath the passenger seat. Open the front passenger door and look underneath the seat and grab the harness that is loose, then wiggle it. If that's it, it will sound just like what you were hearing.

As I recall, there is a plastic box connected to harness that is supposed to snap into a holder (upside down) and this was popping out of its spot.

The one that gave us trouble was right underneath the passenger seat. Open the front passenger door and look underneath the seat and grab the harness that is loose, then wiggle it. If that's it, it will sound just like what you were hearing.

As I recall, there is a plastic box connected to harness that is supposed to snap into a holder (upside down) and this was popping out of its spot.
I just found what you were talking about. What a horrible clip design! Not big enough and it doesn’t clip in enough! I zip tied it for now… how did you fasten it? What did you zip tie it to? I took it down and zip tied it to the bottom plastic cross brace thing.

Reactions: DrGriz
The seats on these cars are unlike anything I have ever encountered on a car. I don't recall such noisy seats. They are always making some sort of noise. I struggled with the driver's seat lower cushion noises but found moving it forward just a tad made the issues go away outside of the occasional pop sound from the backrest when I settle in (I assume this one is inside the seat). Similar with the passenger seat in that there's a rattle if moved up or back too far but I can make it disappear by finding the sweet spot where it stops. Also for the passenger seat if you don't have any passengers, the seat belt buckle will rattle on the plastic seat back if you have the seat too far forward and unoccupied.

Maddening... I thought the noise I was hearing was coming from the rear of the center console (rear vents) but I was wrong. It appears to be this seat problem. A Tesla Mobile Repair Technician just sat in the back seat of my car and had me drive so he could pinpoint the source of the noise. He figured out quickly that the noise was actually coming from beneath the passenger seat and started adjusting the height of the seat. He was able to eliminate the noise by either raising the seat up or lowering it all the way down. While I'm happy the noise is gone because the seat is in a position that doesn't allow it to happen, I want to actually solve the problem. I'm going to go looking for the harness to see if that is indeed the culprit.

Reactions: DrGriz
Maddening... I thought the noise I was hearing was coming from the rear of the center console (rear vents) but I was wrong. It appears to be this seat problem. A Tesla Mobile Repair Technician just sat in the back seat of my car and had me drive so he could pinpoint the source of the noise. He figured out quickly that the noise was actually coming from beneath the passenger seat and started adjusting the height of the seat. He was able to eliminate the noise by either raising the seat up or lowering it all the way down. While I'm happy the noise is gone because the seat is in a position that doesn't allow it to happen, I want to actually solve the problem. I'm going to go looking for the harness to see if that is indeed the culprit.

Sounds like it's the harness to me (that is, my loose harness before I strapped it down).

Reactions: launchd
Hmm... The only thing that makes noise when I play with it is this black plastic cover (?) that I highlighted in red. What harness are you all referring to?

pseatm3.jpg