Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front Plate - 3M Auto Tape (like the M3)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My understanding is the new Model 3 front plate is being applied with 3M double sided Auto tape. I'm considering doing this on my X for the front plate. I just don't like the look of "the law" and the other option with rods. I'd rather the plate sit where it is designed to be, but don't want to drill holes. I'm thinking of double-sided auto tape all over the bottom area where the drilled holes go. Then doing some foam and double-sided tape in the middle and top area for additional security.

Thoughts? How strong is this 3M Auto tape? Is this crazy?

Thanks

I think there is a difference between the M3 and MX. The M3 Tesla logo is on top at the hood, where the MX logo is down into part of the top flat part of the bumper. If the MX plate is at the top flat part it will cover up part of the logo, unless you have a thinner European plate. If you mount the plate lower where it was supposed to be with lower part covering the lip above the vents, the plate's back would not be flat against the bumper. I think a draught could get in there and lift the plate off when you are driving if is secure only with tape at top and bottom.

I think it would work. Assuming the correct double sided 3M tape, it's what is used to attach spoilers to trunk lids and various other parts and pieces and makes a very strong bond. Since there are like a thousand different varieties of the tape I'd just do a little research to make sure I got the good stuff...

Mike

EDIT: BTW, the Model S "Refresh" has two screws on the underside of the bumper but uses double sided tape for the front license plate holder against the front fascia.

Last edited:
My understanding is the new Model 3 front plate is being applied with 3M double sided Auto tape. I'm considering doing this on my X for the front plate. I just don't like the look of "the law" and the other option with rods. I'd rather the plate sit where it is designed to be, but don't want to drill holes. I'm thinking of double-sided auto tape all over the bottom area where the drilled holes go. Then doing some foam and double-sided tape in the middle and top area for additional security.

Thanks

Thanks
Not sure how it will hold up over time. I have seen in my son's car which is a Model S, the tape came off after few months use and started to droop. In Model S, it is held by 2 screws in the bottom, so it didn't fall off. But in Model X, if some event like this happens, you will end up losing the plates or might damage the car while driving. Is it worth the risk, your call.

You might consider doing what I did. I didn't like the look of the bare plate on "The Law", so I took the Tesla license plate bracket, lined it up so that the bottom part is roughly flush with the front of the top of the bumper below where "The Law" mounts. I then drilled holes through the stock Tesla license plate bracket, widened the front part of the holes (under the plate) with a Dremel so the screw heads would be recessed, fastened the bracket onto the front of "The Law", and attached the plate to that. I think it looks a lot nicer that way. The only thing missing is a Tesla license plate frame for the front.

You might consider doing what I did. I didn't like the look of the bare plate on "The Law", so I took the Tesla license plate bracket, lined it up so that the bottom part is roughly flush with the front of the top of the bumper below where "The Law" mounts. I then drilled holes through the stock Tesla license plate bracket, widened the front part of the holes (under the plate) with a Dremel so the screw heads would be recessed, fastened the bracket onto the front of "The Law", and attached the plate to that. I think it looks a lot nicer that way. The only thing missing is a Tesla license plate frame for the front.
Not sure I follow? Do you have any photos you can share?

8FDB5C71-A5FF-40DA-B1AB-E523C44DBC05.jpeg EC081952-0834-4F23-B7C9-FB8FEC25C3B8.jpeg 33B4E12D-ED29-430C-8124-91AEB61444A6.jpeg

I drove my leased S without a front plate for 3 years without issues, even when pulled over twice for speeding. So when I took delivery of my new S less than a month ago, the first thing I did was break out a heat gun and remove the front bracket and temp tag. Naturally, karma struck a week ago and I was pulled over for a missing front plate and ticketed $100. Now I've resigned myself to putting back the factory bracket, but I'm not sure which 3M tape to purchase. It seems to be black and ~1/2" wide, but there are several different kinds on Amazon and I'm not sure which one is correct. Anyone know for sure? Factory tape seems to be a couple of mm thick and cushiony, if you know what I mean. I want to be able to remove it just as easily in the future if I decide to move out of state. I also plan to pick up 2 new bolts at Lowes so I don't have to spend another 20 minutes futzing with right-angle pliers.