Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front plate blocks airflow?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
lol they actually told you that?

so again the question besides financial is why is a front plate necessary!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes. I called to complain about the very large stickers (two of them) they mandate be put right in front of the driver in the lower left corner of the windshield where other states have one sticker or put them in the back window or on the license rear license plate. She told me the police state it improves safety and are pushing to keep the law intact. I don't know if that is true or not.

Yes. I called to complain about the very large stickers (two of them) they mandate be put right in front of the driver in the lower left corner of the windshield where other states have one sticker or put them in the back window or on the license rear license plate. She told me the police state it improves safety and are pushing to keep the law intact. I don't know if that is true or not.

It can't improve safety very much. I drove for three months last year with an out of date safety sticker (the license sticker was current) and no one stopped me. So if having the safety inspection sticker current is supposed to increase safety...

You either maintain your car or you don't. Safety inspections don't turn unsafe cars into safe ones. At best they make you adjust the lights and replace burnt out ones.

Depending on what it is some inspection stations may let some things slide, but usually if it's safety related that could come back to bite them in the ass they won't pass it until it's fixed. On the emissions side any fault codes go into the computer which is connected to the DMV and it won't issue an inspection sticker if the code is not resolved.

The whole concept of a "safety sticker" is crazy. First of all, accident statistics show that an incredibly tiny percentage of accidents are due to mechanical failure.

Secondly assuming a silly program like that is in effect, the procedure should be you present a safety certificate at the time you renew your license. No safety, no license renewal. They do that here in Ontario for the "Drive Clean" program. If you fail emissions testing you can't renew your license. The little sticker in the corner of your plate goes out of date, and they're color coded - the cops DO notice that and pull you over.

It can't improve safety very much. I drove for three months last year with an out of date safety sticker (the license sticker was current) and no one stopped me. So if having the safety inspection sticker current is supposed to increase safety...

It doesn't make sense but someone is pushing to keep the law on the books. It still isn't technically written anywhere that the public can read it (it is similar to the bypass plans in the locked cabinet from Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy). When I called, no one could point me to where it says the front plate has to be on the front bumper and not in the windshield even though that is exactly what is enforced.

The whole concept of a "safety sticker" is crazy. First of all, accident statistics show that an incredibly tiny percentage of accidents are due to mechanical failure.
Maybe that's because of safety inspections :wink:
Secondly assuming a silly program like that is in effect, the procedure should be you present a safety certificate at the time you renew your license. No safety, no license renewal. They do that here in Ontario for the "Drive Clean" program. If you fail emissions testing you can't renew your license. The little sticker in the corner of your plate goes out of date, and they're color coded - the cops DO notice that and pull you over.
Luckily around here you don't have to renew your license every year, you're good for eight years, and car registrations are good for two years, so your system wouldn't work.

Maybe that's because of safety inspections :wink:

Luckily around here you don't have to renew your license every year, you're good for eight years, and car registrations are good for two years, so your system wouldn't work.

No, it's because 99.9% of the time when the car breaks, you pull over to the side of the road and call for a tow truck. Compare with, say, an airplane...

Eight years is a lot. Here it's one year but you can pay for more years, as long as that doesn't take you past the next Drive Clean deadline.

The point is moot... annual safety checks are just meaningless bureaucracy and a cash cow for the service centers.

No, it's because 99.9% of the time when the car breaks, you pull over to the side of the road and call for a tow truck. Compare with, say, an airplane...

Eight years is a lot. Here it's one year but you can pay for more years, as long as that doesn't take you past the next Drive Clean deadline.

The point is moot... annual safety checks are just meaningless bureaucracy and a cash cow for the service centers.

I don't think that's true here in VT. I've seen a lot of cars fail inspection for legitimate reasons that would not result in pulling over to the side of the road. The most common are brakes, exhaust leaks, ball joints and seriously cracked windshields. The state doesn't plug their computer into your car (yet) so if the service station knows you have a harmless fault, you can still pass.