TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Front plate in California question

Discussion in 'Model 3: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by Speedu4ea, Jul 18, 2018.

1. Speedu4ea

Speedu4ea Member

I hate the front plate. I always run the gamble of a fix it ticket and never have one on my cars. My question is, Do they pre drill for the front plate? Do I need to ask them not to? I am getting my car this Tuesday whoo hooo.

Thanks!

2. Need

Need Active Member

I think for model 3, the front plate mount is double sided taped on even if you want them to put it on.

3. Speedu4ea

Speedu4ea Member

Thank you, I should have searched better, looks like it is double sided tape, and looks like hey only put it on if you ask!

• Like x 1
  4. Topher86

Topher86 Member

My mount was in the frunk for me to put on if I decided to

5. tivoboy

tivoboy Member

There is a nice plug mount that others have posted that is better than the tape. Frankly, around here (densest Tesla population on the planet) nobody runs a front plate. YMMV, but it's pretty much if you get a ticket (it's a remediation ticket) you put on the plate, take it in and show a picture of the remediation and pay 25$). choose which you prefer.

6. miltymoots

miltymoots Member

anyone actually put those ugly stickers on their rear bumpers too for the California HOV lanes?

7. jelly

jelly Member

If you use the HOV Lanes that have fast trak and cameras, you'll probably get pulled over without a front plate. I got pulled over twice in a week for having just the dealer logo while waiting for plates.

I see people on 110 pulled over multiple times a day on my commutes.

• Informative x 1
  8. JoganJani

JoganJani Member

I got base stickers from RPM Tesla to go under these. They can be peeled off easily as the website says. Even I don't like these stickers but we'll have to put on.

9. miltymoots

miltymoots Member

If I get those things I just want to put them on when I need the HOV... they are UGLY

• Like x 1
  10. Reid

Reid Member

I asked my ISA a few times about leaving the front plate holder off, never got a response. Hoping it doesn't have one. Never ran a front plate in 16 years in CA, never had a single issue. Not expecting one now.

I'll rock the HOV stickers even though we normally carpool. Sorta ugly, but meh, don't care that much.

11. dlieu

dlieu Member

HOV stickers will expre at the end of 2018 anyway, why bother. After that a new set apparently needs to be applied after an additional application.

"Owners of vehicles issued a Red, Green or White HOV decal from January 1, 2017 to December 31, 2018, may apply for a new Clean Air Vehicle Decal that will expire on January 1, 2022" https://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/carpool/carpool.htm

That is, even one qualifies. I still am not quite getting if one with income over 300k per household may apply, based on their wording.
    (And frankly if it is subject to the income cap, I don't get why, as HOV lanes are public roads and are part of CA vehicle code. It's like to allow some people to use public roads and disallow some others based on income; or let some groups to go on red based on the same).

12. miltymoots

miltymoots Member

Rich people can sit in traffic. :p

• Funny x 1
  13. jelly

jelly Member

The income cap is so you don't get the $2500 rebate AND hov access. If you didn't apply for the $2500 then you can get hov access.

Who knows what will happen in January. Maybe the red stickers will continue on.

14. miltymoots

miltymoots Member

Oh so if you take the $2500 rebate you can't get the HOV stickers?

15. dlieu

dlieu Member

Oh. they now posted definitions which are much more clear. Apparently there's no income cap on PHEV and BEVs for decals (there's only one for the rebate), but there's an either-or income cap on decals for the fuel cell vehicles . Ok good to know, makes more sense now. Rebate is not a vehicle code, sure.

Otherwise, it would be on a verge of denying a public service to some groups who were taxed/fee'd for it (sometimes in larger quantities). Not exactly the first legislature attempt of that kind in this state.

16. hmmm

hmmm Member

• Informative x 2
  17. hmmm

hmmm Member

I had one of those and the cop pulled hard on the bracket to make sure it wasn't a temporary and creative fix on my end, they usually won't sign off on the ticket simply based on a picture. "My" cop also checked the *rear* plate because he had a guy who once had used the rear plate as a temporary fix for the missing front one...but he only noticed it as the guy was leaving...

18. RayK

RayK Member

I too asked my ISA about leaving off the front bracket. Was told that since CA requires front plates it would be mounted at the delivery center. When I picked up my car in Fremont none of the cars lined up in the lot for delivery had front brackets. I found mine in the frunk.

19. miltymoots

miltymoots Member

FWIW here in San Diego there are a few Model 3s out and about and I am yet to see a single one with the front plate attached.

• Like x 2
  20. Padresfreak01

Padresfreak01 Member

I’m one of them :)

• Funny x 1