Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front plate in California question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is a nice plug mount that others have posted that is better than the tape. Frankly, around here (densest Tesla population on the planet) nobody runs a front plate. YMMV, but it's pretty much if you get a ticket (it's a remediation ticket) you put on the plate, take it in and show a picture of the remediation and pay 25$). choose which you prefer.

If you use the HOV Lanes that have fast trak and cameras, you'll probably get pulled over without a front plate. I got pulled over twice in a week for having just the dealer logo while waiting for plates.

I see people on 110 pulled over multiple times a day on my commutes.

• Informative
Reactions: Hkbruin
I asked my ISA a few times about leaving the front plate holder off, never got a response. Hoping it doesn't have one. Never ran a front plate in 16 years in CA, never had a single issue. Not expecting one now.

I'll rock the HOV stickers even though we normally carpool. Sorta ugly, but meh, don't care that much.

HOV stickers will expre at the end of 2018 anyway, why bother. After that a new set apparently needs to be applied after an additional application.

"Owners of vehicles issued a Red, Green or White HOV decal from January 1, 2017 to December 31, 2018, may apply for a new Clean Air Vehicle Decal that will expire on January 1, 2022" https://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/carpool/carpool.htm

That is, even one qualifies. I still am not quite getting if one with income over 300k per household may apply, based on their wording.
(And frankly if it is subject to the income cap, I don't get why, as HOV lanes are public roads and are part of CA vehicle code. It's like to allow some people to use public roads and disallow some others based on income; or let some groups to go on red based on the same).

The income cap is so you don't get the $2500 rebate AND hov access. If you didn't apply for the $2500 then you can get hov access.

Who knows what will happen in January. Maybe the red stickers will continue on.

Oh. they now posted definitions which are much more clear. Apparently there's no income cap on PHEV and BEVs for decals (there's only one for the rebate), but there's an either-or income cap on decals for the fuel cell vehicles . Ok good to know, makes more sense now. Rebate is not a vehicle code, sure.

Otherwise, it would be on a verge of denying a public service to some groups who were taxed/fee'd for it (sometimes in larger quantities). Not exactly the first legislature attempt of that kind in this state.

There is a nice plug mount that others have posted that is better than the tape. Frankly, around here (densest Tesla population on the planet) nobody runs a front plate. YMMV, but it's pretty much if you get a ticket (it's a remediation ticket) you put on the plate, take it in and show a picture of the remediation and pay 25$). choose which you prefer.

I had one of those and the cop pulled hard on the bracket to make sure it wasn't a temporary and creative fix on my end, they usually won't sign off on the ticket simply based on a picture. "My" cop also checked the *rear* plate because he had a guy who once had used the rear plate as a temporary fix for the missing front one...but he only noticed it as the guy was leaving...

I asked my ISA a few times about leaving the front plate holder off, never got a response.
I too asked my ISA about leaving off the front bracket. Was told that since CA requires front plates it would be mounted at the delivery center. When I picked up my car in Fremont none of the cars lined up in the lot for delivery had front brackets. I found mine in the frunk.

I too asked my ISA about leaving off the front bracket. Was told that since CA requires front plates it would be mounted at the delivery center. When I picked up my car in Fremont none of the cars lined up in the lot for delivery had front brackets. I found mine in the frunk.

FWIW here in San Diego there are a few Model 3s out and about and I am yet to see a single one with the front plate attached.