Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front Plate Mount Removal—TYIA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

3YMimi73

❤️ ‘21 M3LR ‘23 MYLR ‘24 MYLR ❤️
Mar 26, 2022
Fingerlakes Region NY
So I live in NYS where it is required that you have a front license plate.
I am picking up my car on 2/7 and I texted the 510 number that I do not want the front plate mounted as I will be taking it in for a PPF install as soon as I get home. And I have a “no holes” bracket that I will be using instead. I was texted back stating that since it’s NYS law they have to mount it.
Now this is the 3rd Tesla I have picked up in NYS at this location and I have never had a problem with the plate not being affixed. I even have my past text messages from Tesla stating that they don’t put them on unless the customer ask for them to be on.
So needless to say this 510 texter is being an a** and keeps insisting that it’s on.
So I asked who would be responsible for damage done to the bumper when the “adhesive mount” is removed for PPF install. I was told if it’s removed correctly there should be no damage but if there’s damage it’s my fault. So I’m going to remove it while I’m at the DC and if there is damage, I’m there and can complain.
Sorry for the long rant but I’m so over this 510 “person”!
What’s the safest way to remove this thing without any damage to the clear coat and paint?! We all know how great the paint is on these Teslas!

Most of the Tesla's here in NJ do not display the front plate. I have mine in the trunk
The one on my M3 has the “no holes” one and the only reason I put it on is because I tinted my windows. I didn’t need to give LEOs another reason to pull me over…haha!
But it was thrown in the trunk when I picked it up.
I haven’t put the one on my MY yet. I’ve had no issues thus far without it. It’s been in my trunk since May 22.
I don’t know why they are being a**es about it.

*sugar*, I thought they didn’t mount the plate… I bought one of those removable stealth plates that had clips that go into the grill. I hate when they drill the holes in the bunper.

Iv never got a ticket for no front plate if that helps, :)

Reactions: 3YMimi73
*sugar*, I thought they didn’t mount the plate… I bought one of those removable stealth plates that had clips that go into the grill. I hate when they drill the holes in the bunper.

i have all my text messages from the past 2 years (M3 and MY) about the front plate and they all say it’s at the discretion of the customer if the plate gets mounted.
I’m just hopeful they don’t mount it and if they do, I’ll just take it off before I leave. And if I have an issue, I’ll bring it to their attention.
Yea I explained that I had my own bracket and they didn’t care.
Actually they don’t drill holes in the bumper, they are stuck on with adhesive. So that’s a plus.

i have all my text messages from the past 2 years (M3 and MY) about the front plate and they all say it’s at the discretion of the customer if the plate gets mounted.
I’m just hopeful they don’t mount it and if they do, I’ll just take it off before I leave. And if I have an issue, I’ll bring it to their attention.
Yea I explained that I had my own bracket and they didn’t care.
Actually they don’t drill holes in the bumper, they are stuck on with adhesive. So that’s a plus.
Ah k, I’d rather not have them mount it. Let me text my 510 number maybe they will be nicer.

No drilling required, the Tesla front license plate holder comes ready to be attached to the front bumper using double-sided 3M automotive trim tape.

No drilling required, the Tesla front license plate holder comes ready to be attached to the front bumper using double-sided 3M automotive trim tape.
Having served as a "Jack Booted Thug" (copper) for 41 years your post has given me a thought. When you remove the front plate and toss it in the frunk just tell the nice officer (should the issue arise, albeit pretty unlikely...) that it "fell off" and you'll reattach it as soon as possible.

Just a thought.

Rich

Having served as a "Jack Booted Thug" (copper) for 41 years your post has given me a thought. When you remove the front plate and toss it in the frunk just tell the nice officer (should the issue arise, albeit pretty unlikely...) that it "fell off" and you'll reattach it as soon as possible.

Just a thought.

Rich
The Tesla front license plate holder, held on only by tape, is known to come off in car washes.

So I live in NYS where it is required that you have a front license plate.
I am picking up my car on 2/7 and I texted the 510 number that I do not want the front plate mounted as I will be taking it in for a PPF install as soon as I get home. And I have a “no holes” bracket that I will be using instead. I was texted back stating that since it’s NYS law they have to mount it.
Now this is the 3rd Tesla I have picked up in NYS at this location and I have never had a problem with the plate not being affixed. I even have my past text messages from Tesla stating that they don’t put them on unless the customer ask for them to be on.
So needless to say this 510 texter is being an a** and keeps insisting that it’s on.
So I asked who would be responsible for damage done to the bumper when the “adhesive mount” is removed for PPF install. I was told if it’s removed correctly there should be no damage but if there’s damage it’s my fault. So I’m going to remove it while I’m at the DC and if there is damage, I’m there and can complain.
Sorry for the long rant but I’m so over this 510 “person”!
What’s the safest way to remove this thing without any damage to the clear coat and paint?! We all know how great the paint is on these Teslas!
Maybe a workaround. License Plate Wrap

Here in NJ most of the Teslas I have seen on the road don't have a front license plate, but that's supposedly illegal. I bought this as it offers a cheap alternative to sticking the plate mount onto the car. Also considering adding a front wireless camera to my USS-less car. Most of them I have seen online get attached to the plate mount - not sure how it's going to work with this one.

Here in NJ most of the Teslas I have seen on the road don't have a front license plate, but that's supposedly illegal. I bought this as it offers a cheap alternative to sticking the plate mount onto the car. Also considering adding a front wireless camera to my USS-less car. Most of them I have seen online get attached to the plate mount - not sure how it's going to work with this one.
Yea I have my own front plate mount and told them I prefer to use my own. But they are stating they have to mount the plate on at the dealership because it’s the “law”!
I picked up 2 Teslas from them the past 2 years and the plates were never mounted on.

Yea I have my own front plate mount and told them I prefer to use my own. But they are stating they have to mount the plate on at the dealership because it’s the “law”!
I picked up 2 Teslas from them the past 2 years and the plates were never mounted on.
Tell the SA that if the Delivery Center ignores your request, attaches the front license plate holder to the vehicle you will reject the vehicle, walk away.

Looks like a CYA move on their part to also install the front license plate before you leave the dealership to avoid some liability.

They should at least offer you the option to install your preferred mount, or if that's too much to ask, make you sign a waiver that you understand it's your responsibility to install a mount and be done with it.