TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Front Plate Mounting Poll

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by tliving, Apr 19, 2014.

?

What did you do about your legally required front plate?

1. Tesla standard plate mounting

19 vote(s)
    18.1%
  2. Skipped front plate, taking a risk with the law

52 vote(s)
    49.5%
  3. Wire tie mounted the plate

9 vote(s)
    8.6%
  4. J hook mounted the plate

11 vote(s)
    10.5%
  5. Other plate mounting solution (please comment on details)

14 vote(s)
    13.3%
  1. tliving

tliving Member

Hi folks, less than 2 days until delivery and I unfortunately live in a state that requires front plates. Trying to figure out what people have done.

Please don't vote unless you're in a state that requires plates.

Also, please don't vote if you don't have a Model S yet.

2. SF_Ben

SF_Ben Member

I did the zip tie method through the grill below the nosecone. Worked great, easy to install, and can always be removed easily if I want to try another method later. I also tried playing around with j hooks but found it cumbersome to get them through the grill and lined up so just did the zip ties. I live in CA where it's required.

3. Ugliest1

Ugliest1 S85: "Sparky"

I had Tesla mount the plate when picking up the car. However, because I'm still a rebel at heart I replaced the rear plate standard bulbs with blue LEDs :)

4. bob_p

bob_p Member

In the past year, I've been pulled over twice on the highway (in roughly the same area) - and issued warnings for the missing front plate.

Both times the officer looked at the front of the car and saw there wasn't any obvious place to mount the plate - and wrote up the warning.

And, in both cases, the officer was much more interested in getting more information on the car (how fast it goes, how does it handle, how long on a charge, recharging time, where to charge, ...) - than in talking about the missing plate.

5. Alysashley79

Alysashley79 Member

I have a sheriff that lives two parcels 5 acres away from me. I see him ever day on his way to work in his squad car. He waves. He's rolled down his window and talked to me about the car even walked around it. Never said a word about the missing plate. When I go downtown I just pay an extra few $ and park in a garage instead of in the street where a meter maid is sure to leave me a present. And always nose in in the garage.

Side perk is that I've driven over our toll bridge three times in the 6 months I've has my car and not been charged on my pass.

6. apvbguy

apvbguy Banned

One option missing from the poll is front plate not required

7. Merrill

Merrill Active Member

Live in California and went without a front plate on my other cars, never was pulled over. Having said that I decided to mount a plate on the Model S and used the Skene. Liked it because I can mount it lower and the 2 small holes drilled in the nose cone will never be seen. Also was not a fan of a bare plastic nose cone so I think it actually looks better with a plate.

8. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

I used some 3M body tape and stuck it on.

9. liuping

liuping Active Member

I mount it only when needed, using the system from Magneplate.

When the plate is not mounted, all that can be seen are two small posts that are barely noticeable in the grill.

10. kendallpb

kendallpb Model S: P 8061

The OP wrote "Please don't vote unless you're in a state that requires plates." ;-)

- - - Updated - - -

P.S. I agonized over this but ultimately decided there're too many cops in my area and it's silly not to mount it since it's required by law (IMHO). Some are lucky to live in areas where cops don't ticket for this, I guess, but in the DC metro area, particularly where I work...cops love to ticket you for little things.

- - - Updated - - -

P.P.S. Also: Some hate how it looks but unless you're in a front-plate-optional state, nearly all cars in your area have front plates. To me it doesn't look bad--it looks normal to have a plate. If I lived in a front-plate-optional state, no doubt I'd think it looked horrible. ;-)

11. Iz

Iz EVs are here to stay

Same here but in NY. :biggrin:

12. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Isn't that just because it's impossible to speed in DC?

I live in a plates required state and it looks horrible. It's just another dumb law to generate revenue.

13. youlikeadajuice

Over a year and have not been pulled over for no front plate. I was pulled over for no inspection sticker in the front windshield, but the sticker is not required for EVs in NJ and I had to educate the cop about it (it's only an emissions inspection so obviously it's irrelevant). The cop didn't say anything about my missing front plate.

14. kendallpb

kendallpb Model S: P 8061

Heh. Well, in DC maybe, but I'm in the DC area (but not in DC itself) and speed all the time. I mean...uh, I drive the speed limit or lower at all times. Uh-oh, is this entrapment?!

15. tliving

tliving Member

Thanks for all the feedback folks. Im tending towards the wire tie approach. Anyone have details on it? I've looked around but they're sort of imprecise. Concerns:

1) Rub on the pieces of the frame the holder presses against
    2) Minimizing slack (probably just pull tight but any other ideas?)
    3) Do you have to drill holes in the holder for the wire ties or do you use existing holes? How do you get the alignment/location right if you drill?

Thanks,
    Rob

16. EarlyAdopter

EarlyAdopter Active Member

3M automotive double stick tape, three small pieces. Same stuff that holds on your emblems, rear spoiler if you have one. Year and a half and still holding strong.

17. jbruce

jbruce Member

#17 jbruce, Apr 22, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
  18. Apoclyps

Apoclyps Member

19. flodrab

flodrab Member

I'm in California, and have been ticketed before for this "offense", and didn't want to risk another ticket ... (although, that was in my red Dodge Viper, which may have been a contributing factor) ... so I use this device: Torklift Central - The Law - Removable Front License Plate

ADVANTAGES: installs easily, no holes to drill, plate can be removed without leaving any trace
    DISADVANTAGE: $100 for basically a bent piece of metal and a couple screws

front.JPG

20. omarsultan

omarsultan Active Member

I did the suction cup thing for my front plate. I only attach it when I street park.