Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front Plate Removal @ Delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I understand that Tesla needs to deliver car with the front plate frame for the S to pass low speed collision test.

AZ does not have a front plate, so I want to remove my frame right away.
I read about the removal: Definitive S Refresh Front Plate Bracket Removal

Anyone got the dealer to "borrow" them the removal socket for 2 minutes before leaving the dealership ?

I have and angle needle nose, but not the exact one used in the article. Just want to avoid buying a tool that I only need for 2 minutes. I saw some too had printed a socket on 3-d printer.

~Scott

Orrrrrr....just pull the bracket off the car. Took 10 seconds. Most of the tape came off with it. The rest just rolled off. I went the angled pliers route for my first Tesla. Took a while. Was curious why the tape wouldn't just give. And it does. Easy.

Bolts only connect to the bracket itself and not to the car or bumper structure, so if you can get it by just breaking the tape bond it will all come off. BE WARNED if the tape sticks well, then you might end up warping the bumper cover by torqueing it if the tape doesn't release. Likelihood might be low, but I've ready where some say they struggled with the tape on the bracket and others as mentioned above say it just popped right off..

What about the bolts on the bottom?

Bolts only connect to the bracket itself and not to the car or bumper structure, so if you can get it by just breaking the tape bond it will all come off. BE WARNED if the tape sticks well, then you might end up warping the bumper cover by torqueing it if the tape doesn't release. Likelihood might be low, but I've ready where some say they struggled with the tape on the bracket and others as mentioned above say it just popped right off..
Hmmmm.... didn’t realize that