TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Front Plate Removal @ Delivery

Discussion in 'Model S' started by sknaf, May 14, 2018.

1. sknaf

sknaf Member

I understand that Tesla needs to deliver car with the front plate frame for the S to pass low speed collision test.

AZ does not have a front plate, so I want to remove my frame right away.
    I read about the removal: Definitive S Refresh Front Plate Bracket Removal

Anyone got the dealer to "borrow" them the removal socket for 2 minutes before leaving the dealership ?

I have and angle needle nose, but not the exact one used in the article. Just want to avoid buying a tool that I only need for 2 minutes. I saw some too had printed a socket on 3-d printer.

~Scott

2. brycerocky

brycerocky Member

The 3d printed one is legit. I bought it in metal and it worked well with a standard Allen wrench

3. sknaf

sknaf Member

I get the printed socket works, but that is buying a tool that I will use for less that 2 minutes in the life of the tool, and then just sit in my garage.

4. tpham07

tpham07 Active Member

I just used pliers to crank those bolts slowly and slowly and slowly. . it was a pain in the ass and took me 45 minutes, but hey. determination man. haha

5. melburstein

melburstein Member

I bought a 3D socket that I have never used because my car was in a Tesla-approved body shop and I asked if they would remove it. They did, without charge.

6. BigCity

BigCity Member

Mine were only finger tight when I received my car, was able to pull it off in less than 30s....got lucky I guess.

7. Buster1

Buster1 Member

My SC removed the bolts at delivery. Just ask. The plate holder will stay attached via the sticky tape they use at the factory. You can then remove the plate holder later.

8. sknaf

sknaf Member

Thanks, good point - I will just ask them to remove the 2 bolts, and do the rest at home.

9. jdjeff88

jdjeff88 Member

Orrrrrr....just pull the bracket off the car. Took 10 seconds. Most of the tape came off with it. The rest just rolled off. I went the angled pliers route for my first Tesla. Took a while. Was curious why the tape wouldn't just give. And it does. Easy.

10. RedMS

RedMS Member

What about the bolts on the bottom?

11. BigCity

BigCity Member

Bolts only connect to the bracket itself and not to the car or bumper structure, so if you can get it by just breaking the tape bond it will all come off. BE WARNED if the tape sticks well, then you might end up warping the bumper cover by torqueing it if the tape doesn't release. Likelihood might be low, but I've ready where some say they struggled with the tape on the bracket and others as mentioned above say it just popped right off..

12. RedMS

RedMS Member

Hmmmm.... didn’t realize that

13. jdjeff88

jdjeff88 Member

Yup. You just need to be woke. Strong, but sensitive to the needs of the car, the feel of the bumper and whether the tape really is intending to give.

14. Krash

Krash Data Technician

Use a hair dryer and dental floss on the bracket.

15. jdjeff88

jdjeff88 Member

Don’t know about the floss, but it was in my garage during the Texas heat so same effect as the blow dryer. Popped right off.