Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front plate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I interned on Maui with the police dept a while back and they “can” pull you over for no front plate, even without a traffic infraction. It’s just that most won’t go through the hassle. Similar to window tints, where some officers may add-on the tint violation if already on a traffic stop for a moving violation.

It’s a risk we choose to take if we don’t want to rock the plates on the front bumper. My buddy doesn’t have front plates on his 2020 Model 3 SR+ and hasn’t run into any issues so far. I’d rather avoid the entire situation altogether. Haha

I was pulled over the other day for, uh, "reasons"--they did not tack on a ticket for no front plate.

It's really officer discretion.

Reactions: Makiki3SR+
Aloha HI tesla owners!

Anyone have issues with HPD if you haven't had your front license plate on? Thinking about the snap plate or otto to take it on and off....
I got this simple little device for $8 plus shipping. It mounts your front-plate frame on the grille below the "normal" mounting position with what are basically wingnuts that don't require any drilling. You could buy the parts yourself at Home Depot or Lowe's, but this will save you the trip.

Reactions: Celestine
I was pulled over the other day for, uh, "reasons"--they did not tack on a ticket for no front plate.

It's really officer discretion.
I totally agree, they have the discretion to add citations or not. I’ve noticed that the ones running the DUI checkpoints tend to look out for the missing front plates.

Speaking of which, I just got my license plates in today and have already put my front plate on. Haha... I’m not one to “chance um”.