TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Front Plates and EZPass in MA

Discussion in 'New England' started by PeterK, Jan 17, 2013.

1. PeterK

PeterK Model S Owner

Thanks for the welcome and photos of your green and blue cars, Robert and S1079! I notice you both went without front plates - did that get you any police attention? Matt showed me the bracket that they either mount permanently on the bumper, drilling holes in it, or put on more temporarily (he mentioned zip ties) on the grille below. I would definitely go below. Or if you have old green-numbered plates to transfer you might be grandfathered into not needing a front plate?

EdA, I will make the executive decision but want to maintain peace in the house. I haven't decided because I'm torn between the two, thought I'd have several more months until I needed to commit, and did not want to do so until I'd seen a green car. I'll try to go back this weekend when it's sunny.

What I'm seeing on other forums including the Tesla site is that many people configuring now are being given February/March delivery estimates. It depends on battery size and color. I don't want to get it too early so will probably wait until the end of my commit window in early February for an expected March/April date. Based on my number P13743 I originally didn't expect it until July/August!

2. ModelS1079

ModelS1079 Member

Mitch that is wonderful - congrats!

- - - Updated - - -

I do have front plate on - I got the Black Twinkie EZ Pass and tied this through the top of the plate with black plastic ties (what are those called?, buy the 14 inch ones as it make sit much easier. You then cut them so there is no extra tie left). The ties go thru the front grill. Looks pretty great and I gotta post a pic...

3. EdA

EdA Model S P-2540

Congrats Mitch, my guess is you won't lose that grin for at least 6 months!

I also went with the zip tie (or wire tie) approach for the front plate. I can post a pic if necessary (there is not much to see).

/Ed

4. PeterK

PeterK Model S Owner

What's the Black Twinkie EZ Pass?

5. dennis25

dennis25 Member

front plate.jpg

6. EdA

EdA Model S P-2540

Dennis! You drilled through the front??!!!!
    Most of us used wire ties to attach the license plate holder to the grill below.

I got scared out of the "black twinkie" by the clerk at the desk "you have to pay for it if it is stolen or broken...".
    But I have about a 50% yellow vs. green light when going through a toll plaza.

7. dennis25

dennis25 Member

Funny, that's the reaction i expected. sacrilege to deface the front cone. i'm ok with it. that's the way tesla designed the plate holder and that's where the tech at the service center put it.

i couldn't get the windshield transponders to work (after trying two). the front plate 'twinkie' works well. i thought it strange how they were so reluctant to give those out. she did her best sales pitch to talk me out of it but......it wasn't working the other way.

8. cinergi

cinergi Active Member

Weird. Mine works great. I guess it's the older/bigger design tho (beige square). I mounted it to the right of the mirror.
    I also have holes in my cone :) I don't even notice there's a plate there.

9. PeterK

PeterK Model S Owner

Thanks for sharing the photo, Dennis. I have one of the older passes so I will give it a try first when I get my S - if I have problems I'll look into the twinkie.
    -Peter

10. ModelS1079

ModelS1079 Member

#10 ModelS1079, Jan 20, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2013
    I like the black Twinkie , and am very happy with my own non-screw mounting that took me about seven minutes. Avoids hurting the nose cone at all and looks pretty sweet I think. See below and note I used black ties above with the Twinkie and white below to match the plate. feedback welcome. Twinkie worked okay as I came up to NH this weekend; works perfectly if I go thru the toll at he actual speed limit.

See here for pictures:

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/11956-Call-for-non-destructive-front-license-plate-bracket/page4?p=256782&viewfull=1#post256782

11. mitch672

mitch672 Active Member

I had the Front plate holder installed by Tesla, looks fine to me.. Went and picked up the external transponder yesterday.

One thing I want: a key fob that open the charging port door, I use my own J-1772 at home, have to release the charging port door before getting out of the car, then to release J-1772 adapter have to use the touchscreen to release the lock... I'd like to reverse engineer the circuit in the UMC that button connects to and make them, that would be handy.

Here's my transponder mounted, the EV plates are getting higher in number as well:

527A9AA7-6BF6-40DC-B166-D1CBC2CA90A2-1753-000000AB9DF02B40.jpg

12. ModelS1079

ModelS1079 Member

#12 ModelS1079, Jan 20, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2013
    Mitch that looks nice.
    Got my plate in Leominster, and they said i was the first one to get an electric plate there - imagine. So they had old new plates in a folder.

13. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Your spell or grammar auto-correct (I presume) makes your post unintelligible to me. :(

14. ModelS1079

ModelS1079 Member

Wow. Only thing really notable is that I am so tired I did not even notice. Was just trying to (so eloquently) note that I got a low number plate as I went to a registry that received EV plates some time ago in preparation for EV registrations, but turns out I was the first one to go to this more remote registry for an EV plate.

And now I shall recite Jabberwocky.