Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front-rear camera touchscreen parking protection switch kit reservations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This implementation only makes sense. Even if you only have the standard rear view camera, you don't want backup lines over the image if you use it to look behind the car while driving forward. So the lines need to be activated in reverse only ...

--- Edit:

This was confirmed before in the Firmware 6.1 thread:

Yes. Only present when you have the car in reverse.

Last edited:
If indeed Tesla engineering implemented parking lines enabled by REVERSE rather than camera-visible that would explain it. Good, correct, robust engineering..... and maybe some Tesla folks are forum readers and know about your cool camera switch artsci. Nice they didn't break it for us.

Tesla knows about it for sure. For a while they were wondering about all the demand for rear cameras:) I think it's a tribute that they played ball.

Do the white lines for the rear camera on version 6.1 show up on the front camera display?

In my car (2013, non-sensor) the white lines do show up on the front camera, but only while in reverse. I don't have mine set up to automatically switch to rear camera when I put it into reverse. So, short answer--it doesn't know what camera is being used. I also tried switching from front to rear and back while in reverse, and the screen goes black (as we're used to) and the lines go away between cameras, but it comes right back up with image and guidelines with no problem. Interestingly, the "camera not found" text doesn't show when switching between cams while in reverse.

I can second the fact that for those of us who don't have the camera triggered to switch when going into reverse, the white lines show up when in reverse and the front camera on... it looks like it expects your about to launch into space, but I think that's just because I need to tilt my front camera down a bit.

Couple of questions :
1-Do you ship to Canada?
2-Do you have a picture of the front camera mounting bracket? We don't have front plates here..
3-Does the mounting bracket work with the Autopilot equipped cars?

Thanks

OpenEVSE is the place to buy the camera switch PCB, bracket, and other parts. But you shouldn't wait as I don't think they have many left.

We originally made 100 sets, and once 75 were sold OpenEVSE bought the remainder. Likely these will never be made again.

If you don't have a front license plate you don't need the bracket, The front camera just mounts on the upper grille under the nose cone as in the photo below.

_DSC4445.JPG

I may have purchased the last available unit early this morning. The link above, which I used at the time, now returns a 404 page not found error.

I watched this video on the unit's operation: Tesla Model S front-rear camera switch demo - YouTube

Thanks to all of you who were involved in this, and especially to you, Rich, for everything you did to make it happen!

I do have a quick question or two about the unit's operation that aren't answered in the video.

If I haven't manually accessed the video icon, and just put the car in reverse, will the reverse camera view still pop up on its own as it does now? If so, will the "No Camera Available" delay be present or not?

I understand the "No Camera Available" delay occurs any time I switch between camera views. I'm just wondering how, if at all, having this system in place changes the behavior of what happens when there is no camera view on the display and the car is then put in reverse.

Thanks.

I may have purchased the last available unit early this morning. The link above, which I used at the time, now returns a 404 page not found error.

I watched this video on the unit's operation: Tesla Model S front-rear camera switch demo - YouTube

Thanks to all of you who were involved in this, and especially to you, Rich, for everything you did to make it happen!

I do have a quick question or two about the unit's operation that aren't answered in the video.

If I haven't manually accessed the video icon, and just put the car in reverse, will the reverse camera view still pop up on its own as it does now? If so, will the "No Camera Available" delay be present or not?

I understand the "No Camera Available" delay occurs any time I switch between camera views. I'm just wondering how, if at all, having this system in place changes the behavior of what happens when there is no camera view on the display and the car is then put in reverse.

Thanks.

If the unit is properly wired up it always reverts to the rear camera when the car is placed in reverse. But if the default is set for the front camera (which I recommend) there will be a slight delay and a brief appearance of "No Camera Available" as it makes the switch to the rear camera. On the other hand if the rear camera is set for the default, the message does not appear, but you'll always have to use the remote or homelink command to switch to the front camera.

I suppose if there's sufficient demand we could alway make these again but to make it economical the minimum needs to be 100.

If the unit is properly wired up it always reverts to the rear camera when the car is placed in reverse. But if the default is set for the front camera (which I recommend) there will be a slight delay and a brief appearance of "No Camera Available" as it makes the switch to the rear camera. On the other hand if the rear camera is set for the default, the message does not appear, but you'll always have to use the remote or homelink command to switch to the front camera.

Thanks, Rich.

So just so that I am crystal clear on this, I'm going to restate this, as I now understand it:

All of the following assume correct installation (which I'm going to have done by professionals.)

--If set up with the rear camera as the default view (the mode you do not recommend) everything will function exactly as it does for me now, with no change, no delay, and I would never see that "No Camera Available" message when simply shifting into reverse. But in this mode, if I want access to the front camera, I would switch to the front camera using the remote or a programmed Homelink button to make the switch. So while parallel parking, I would have to use the remote or the Homelink button every time I wanted to change the view on the display from back to front, as the view would never change on its own simply because I was shifting between reverse and drive. Also, when I do want to simply see the front camera, I'll have to press the camera icon on the screen, but then will still need to use either the remote or the Homelink button, so utilizing the front camera becomes a two-step process instead of a one-step process.

--If the default view is set to front, when I put the car in reverse I will still get the back camera, but there will be that slight delay, and I will briefly see the "No Camera Available" indication on the screen. When parallel parking, the displays will automatically switch from the back display to the front display, as I shift from drive to reverse, each time with the slight delay and the "No Camera Available" message. When I just want to use the front camera to park, I'll only need to access the camera button on the screen, and the front camera will be immediately visible, with no delay or message. In this mode, the only reason I'd use the remote or the Homelink setting would be if I wanted to view the back camera while in drive.

Is the above a complete and accurate description?

And then one final question? Is this setup of which view I prefer as the default view a decision I need to make before installation, because the wiring is dependent upon it, or can I change the default view via the remote or some other way at any time?

Edit: I just looked at the manual which seems to make reference to buttons A and B on the remote, but in the video you talk about button D. It sounds like the button D in your video is functioning like the button A in the manual. Is that correct?

Last edited:
If you're concerned about the small delay and the "No Camera Available" message, it's really not a big deal. It's very brief.

Having the rear camera as the default seems like a lot more hassle than the "No Camera Available" message and slight delay.

IMHO.

Either way, it's a great addition to "classic" Model Ss.

If you're concerned about the small delay and the "No Camera Available" message, it's really not a big deal. It's very brief.

Having the rear camera as the default seems like a lot more hassle than the "No Camera Available" message and slight delay.

IMHO.

Either way, it's a great addition to "classic" Model Ss.

Thanks.

I'm just trying to figure out which way I'd prefer to use it, as I rarely parallel park, and do, of course, put the car into reverse all the time. Even so, I'll probably go with the recommended setup.

I suppose if there's sufficient demand we could alway make these again but to make it economical the minimum needs to be 100.

Any chance the kit would be updated to use the newer forward looking camera if there was enough interest to get close to 100 new orders?

... Is the above a complete and accurate description?

And then one final question? Is this setup of which view I prefer as the default view a decision I need to make before installation, because the wiring is dependent upon it, or can I change the default view via the remote or some other way at any time?

Edit: I just looked at the manual ...?
If I read your question correctly, yes, that is an accurate description.

You do not need to decide which view you prefer prior to setup. You can change the default view via the remote or Homelink at any time.

I do not know the answer to your last question.

Thanks.

I'm just trying to figure out which way I'd prefer to use it, as I rarely parallel park, and do, of course, put the car into reverse all the time. Even so, I'll probably go with the recommended setup.

I leave the default to rear camera. At those rare times that I parallel park, I switch it to front. At that point it will still automatically go to the rear camera when the car is put in reverse.

If I understand your question, you are referring to the front camera in the rear view mirror that is used for the autopilot functions. If that is correct, the answer is likely no, as that camera provides no video signal that is viewable on the touchscreen.

Any chance the kit would be updated to use the newer forward looking camera if there was enough interest to get close to 100 new orders?

If I'm not mistaken the new forward looking camera sees over the hood and does not see obstacles down low. Correct me if I'm wrong.

If we got close to 100 solid orders (deposits) a new run could be done.

Last edited:

If I understand your question, you are referring to the front camera in the rear view mirror that is used for the autopilot functions. If that is correct, the answer is likely no, as that camera provides no video signal that is viewable on the touchscreen.

I was thinking about using an extra forward looking camera instead of the rear looking camera for this kit. I assume the cameras would be compatible?

swegman told you very clearly that the forward looking camera would not be compatible and why. The forward looking camera does not provide a video signal that would be viewable on the touchscreen. (I have no knowledge of this. I'm just restating what swegman posted. See above and upthread.)