Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front-rear camera touchscreen parking protection switch kit reservations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's a very small amount of power, a few miliwatts maybe? Artsci might be able to chime in, I think it's mentioned in this thread somewhere. I am also pulling power from the same source for my dashcam with parking mode/motion sensor so it was easier to tap into that harness I created than switched power from the fusebox or tapping into a different power wire in the MS harness. It's also easier to remove the entire setup -- camera module, dashcam, OBDII plug, etc without leaving a trace or cutting or resplicing anything.

I don't think the drain on the batter amounts to enough to worry about. Also, it's being pulled from the 12v battery anyway and not the traction pack. Sure, the 12V might need to be recharged slightly more often, but again, it's such a small draw, it can't really account for all that much. Though I did install a switch in the OBDII port area in case I need to shut them both down for some extended period of time or in the rare case I might need to limit vampire drain, but I really can't think of any. It's not like I leave my car parked at the airport for extended periods of time (I take my ICE to the airport for that).

Thanks.

I had read somewhere in this thread that someone had a problem with the camera overheating when left out in the sun all day, and it turned out it was also powered on, because they were powering from the OBD port. I think I also saw after that that ArtSci actually changed his recommendation from using either installation method, to just recommending the switched power. But obviously if you're not having any issues, that's not a concern.

- - - Updated - - -

We're talking about milliamps here, not enough to even give a thought. Plus in the final install instructions we're tapping into switched power that's only on when one's butt is in the driver's seat.

I had downloaded a PDF file from the OPENEV Store site where I purchased the unit, but seeing the above, I'm thinking that must not be the final instructions, as that version still talked about soldering a connection to the OBD port as an option. Where would I find a link to the final install instructions? I'd like to send that to the possible installer who is considering taking on the job, so he can better evaluate what needs to be done.

Thanks!

FYI: I'm working on a mounting plate for the front camera. ... I'll post photos in a few days.
The bumper is removed in these photos (I'm doing other work as well), but here is the front camera & mounting plate:
IMG_1369.JPG

This is a view looking almost straight into the lower grill, which few would ever do. That is why the etching doesn't align with the grill work.

IMG_1368.JPG

This shot is looking downward at the camera, and the etched work lines up with the grill.

I will make several variations of this mounting plate available (price not determined yet) for either the top or lower grill, and either the center or offset to make room for a license plate.

And yes, in these close up shots, the clear bra looks ugly. One of my upcoming projects will be to get my car color corrected & re-coated.

Does anyone have the final version of the installation manual?

ArtSci no longer has it, but would like to have it again, and I said that if I managed to obtain one, of course I'd make sure to get a copy to him. The .PDF file that was most recently on the OpenEV Store site is not the most recent version.

ArtSci says of the most recent version: "A key change was the threading of the camera cable into the cockpit, which in the latest version was through the gap between the driver's side fender and the windshield frame (with photos). Another was the threading of the reverse signal connection from the passenger side behind the dashboard. In the latest version the wire is threaded through the long hollow tube that runs the entire length of the dashboard."

Please let me know either by posting here or by private message if you prefer if you have a copy of this version.

Thanks!

ArtSci no longer has it, but would like to have it again, and I said that if I managed to obtain one, of course I'd make sure to get a copy to him. The .PDF file that was most recently on the OpenEV Store site is not the most recent version.

ArtSci says of the most recent version: "A key change was the threading of the camera cable into the cockpit, which in the latest version was through the gap between the driver's side fender and the windshield frame (with photos). Another was the threading of the reverse signal connection from the passenger side behind the dashboard. In the latest version the wire is threaded through the long hollow tube that runs the entire length of the dashboard."

Please let me know either by posting here or by private message if you prefer if you have a copy of this version.

Thanks!

Yes, please, if anyone saved a copy, let Andyw2100 know. I saved it to Dropbox and lost it all when I was trying to clean out old files. Regrettably I did not save it to another place.

Here are the two most recent files I have: One was the 21 July 2014 version with reduced file size (compressed graphics) dated 28 Jul 2014, 17:38, a second an update that describes the easier cable routing from the frunk to the cabin via the gap in the fender trim, dated 2 Aug 2014, 16:18 (these are the PDF metadata, not the download dates.) The update still references the Chinese cables that proved to be problematic. The OEM cables from Tesla that Rick bought for us work fine, so those are the one's to get.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xlkz3la1rjbdm8w/Camera kit instructions, smaller file.pdf?dl=1
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2lpcfyxa27zu52u/Urgent camera swith install update.pdf?dl=1

Here are the two most recent files I have: One was the 21 July 2014 version with reduced file size (compressed graphics) dated 28 Jul 2014, 17:38, a second an update that describes the easier cable routing from the frunk to the cabin via the gap in the fender trim, dated 2 Aug 2014, 16:18 (these are the PDF metadata, not the download dates.) The update still references the Chinese cables that proved to be problematic. The OEM cables from Tesla that Rick bought for us work fine, so those are the one's to get.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xlkz3la1rjbdm8w/Camera kit instructions, smaller file.pdf?dl=1
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2lpcfyxa27zu52u/Urgent camera swith install update.pdf?dl=1

Thanks so much Klaus. Those two files are ones I didn't have and they provide some valuable updates. I think there was an even later version of the full instructions that addressed threading of the reverse signal wire through the tube behind the dash.

Well, that was fast!

Thanks, very, very much! That definitely appears to be a later version than the one I had. ArtSci--can you confirm that this is, in fact, the "last" version that you were in search of?

Thanks again, Klaus!

Edit: Whoops! I guess I should have refreshed before posting.

- - - Updated - - -

The bumper is removed in these photos (I'm doing other work as well), but here is the front camera & mounting plate:

Looks interesting.

What is the plate made out of? Will one of your variations include a smaller plate, or does it need to be that large to hold the camera securely in place?

The plate is made out of a black plastic--I'll get back to you with the specific type. The size of the plate is designed to fit over the hole in Tesla's new grill (re-purposing what is intended for the autopilot's forward radar). If you want to use the older grill, or use a different location with the newer grill, the plate can be smaller but a hole will have to be cut in the grill to fit the camera behind the plate. I would like some feedback about preferred placement; for those wanting it offset because they have the license plate in the center, how far to one side do you need it?

Steps for mounting this plate:
1) Remove bumper, taking care to detach wiring
2) Remove grill from bumper
3a) If you use Tesla's new grill (as shown in the pictures), the grill does not need any modification. This option is not feasible if you have the autopilot package.
3b) If you use the old grill or for all other placements, cut a hole in the grill to fit both the camera & the included bracket. Dimensions for the hole & a cardboard guide will be included. Note that the exact location of the plate must be predetermined: The grill is curved and the dimensions for the plate are different for every location.
4) Notch bumper to make room for the plate
5) Remove existing mounting bracket on the camera
6) Install camera onto the plate with the included bracket & fit the plate onto the grill
7) Reattach grill onto the bumper. This step will lock the plate in place.
8) Make sure all wires are attached and reinstall the bumper

Note that the camera fits almost flush with the grill, and that a license plate might severely limit the camera's field of view.

Last edited:
The plate is made out of a black plastic--I'll get back to you with the specific type. The size of the plate is designed fit over the hole in Tesla's new grill (re-purposing what is intended for the autopilot's forward radar). If you want to use the older grill, or use a different location with the newer grill, the plate can be smaller but a hole will have to be cut in the grill to fit the camera behind the plate. I would like some feedback about preferred placement; for those wanting it offset because they have the license plate in the center, how far to one side do you need it?

Steps for mounting this plate:
1) Remove bumper, taking care to detach wiring
2) Remove grill from bumper
3a) If you use Tesla's new grill (as shown in the pictures), the grill does not need any modification. This option is not feasible if you have the autopilot package.
3b) If you use the old grill or for all other placements, cut a hole in the grill to fit both the camera & the included bracket. Dimensions for the hole & a cardboard guide will be included. Note that the exact location of the plate must be predetermined: The grill is curved and the dimensions for the plate are different for every location.
4) Notch bumper to make room for the plate
5) Remove existing mounting bracket on the camera
6) Install camera onto the plate with the included bracket & fit the plate onto the grill
7) Reattach grill onto the bumper. This step will lock the plate in place.
8) Make sure all wires are attached and reinstall the bumper

I appreciate the info. I'm definitely going to go with a simpler approach, though. I'm sure there are plenty of people that will appreciate what you're doing!

- - - Updated - - -

Artsci might be referring to this version, dated 8/8/2014. https://db.tt/bkxykVic

That has got to be it! It has the part about the hollow tube behind the dash that ArtSci mentioned.

Thanks very much!

I appreciate the info. I'm definitely going to go with a simpler approach, though. I'm sure there are plenty of people that will appreciate what you're doing!
That is fine--what I've done is a labor of love, and I do not expect enough volume to pay for my expenses, much less make a profit.

However, I do want to point out that none of the steps are difficult. The bumper is surprisingly light weight and can be handled by one person. Because of the bulky size, it helps to have one person hold the bumper and another person disconnect/connect wires and bolt the bumper in place.

FYI: I'm working on a mounting plate for the front camera. I haven't installed the prototype yet, but it looks very good. I'll post photos in a few days.

Nice work! Does this mount require the original mounting points on the camera (as many of us have cut them off)?

Also, can you post a shot of the bracket with the bumper back on the car. Seems that it will look much different when the grill is on and it's dark behind it. Should blend in quite well.

Is there any way to point the camera down more? It seems like this would result in it being difficult to gauge how close you are. I have mine pointed slightly down and when the curb is at the bottom of my screen I know I'm about 8" away.