Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front-rear camera touchscreen parking protection switch kit reservations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A previous member had concerns about removing the panels. On other cars I made my share of mistakes of pulling in the wrong place and breaking tabs. Or using a screwdriver or similar and damaging the surfaces. After looking at a few videos and talking to my auto body repairman I saw that the right tools would make a difference.

As I do not remove these type of panels that often I didn't want to spend the money on the snap-on kit. I went to the other extreme and saw what Harbor Freight was selling. I ended up buying two of the $1.99 kits. HF also has a $6.99 kit that has sturdier handles and few extra tools.

Nothing like having the right tool - panel removal has been easy, no breaks, no scars. Ideally a video of removing the panel highlighting where the tabs are would be ideal to remove the anxiety of where to pull on the panels.

A picture of the most useful tool and the HF link is below.

Trim removal tool.JPG
http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=pick

In several days we'll being taking pre-production orders for the Camera Switch Kit on the TMC marketplace. The kit will include the PCB, box with connectors jacks, and the OBD2 connector. The mounting bracket for the front license plate will be optional. We don't yet know the cost for the bracket but it will be modest.

The initial cost will be about $220, give or take $5.00. That assumes we get at least 50 orders. That's because we have to order a minimum of 100 PCBs and 100 boxes. If a higher number of orders is placed the price will decrease. For example, for 100 orders the price would fall to about $125.00. But for only 25 orders the price would rise to about $450.00.

The production run and the final price will be based on the number of pre-production orders actually placed. If the final price is lower than the pre-production cost of $220, refunds will be made before shipment. On the other hand if the final price is higher, an additional payment will be required.

We know this sounds complicated but it's the only way we can cover our costs. We have about 100 owners who have indicated a serious interest in the kit so we're hoping that the pre-production orders will come close to that total. That will save every buyer nearly $100.

I'll post again once we have the the TMC Panjo Marketplace set up to take orders, likely in a day or two.

In several days we'll being taking pre-production orders for the Camera Switch Kit on the TMC marketplace. The kit will include the PCB, box with connectors jacks, and the OBD2 connector. The mounting bracket for the front license plate will be optional. We don't yet know the cost for the bracket but it will be modest.

The initial cost will be about $220, give or take $5.00. That assumes we get at least 50 orders. That's because we have to order a minimum of 100 PCBs and 100 boxes. If a higher number of orders is placed the price will decrease. For example, for 100 orders the price would fall to about $125.00. But for only 25 orders the price would rise to about $450.00.

The production run and the final price will be based on the number of pre-production orders actually placed. If the final price is lower than the pre-production cost of $220, refunds will be made before shipment. On the other hand if the final price is higher, an additional payment will be required.

We know this sounds complicated but it's the only way we can cover our costs. We have about 100 owners who have indicated a serious interest in the kit so we're hoping that the pre-production orders will come close to that total. That will save every buyer nearly $100.

I'll post again once we have the the TMC Panjo Marketplace set up to take orders, likely in a day or two.

Sorry, but what is PCB? I will need the front license plate bracket. Let me know when we do the preproduction order.

I am interested, but would like to see the camera installation. Post 180 links seem to be broken.

John

The complete install instructions should be posted on Teslarati.com tonight. And we'll start taking preproduction orders tonight as well. In the meantime, they are accessible here:

Dropbox - Camera kit instructions.pdf

When you click on this link, you'll have a choice of downloading the pdf or adding to your Dropbox, if you have one.

Last edited:
Great stuff. Looking through the detailed instructions now, looks very thorough so far.

Quick question: why hack off the metal camera mount wings? It looks like the entire metal bracket can be removed with the screws.

One further question: No easy way to auto-toggle between front/rear cameras? I know the hunt was on for a suitable wire. I assume nothing was found?

Just finished... parts list doesn't include the optional PosiTap. What is the wire gauge that's being tapped? Need that to select the correct PosiTap part.

Last edited:
Why do we need to tap both pins 4 and 5 on the OBD connector? Pin 4 is chassis ground, and Pin 5 is signal ground. Since we only need chassis ground for +12v, do we really need/want to short out chassis ground and signal ground?

From what I understand (I could be wrong), there are no signals on the Tesla OBD port, so wouldn't Pin 4 be adequate for just a 12v power source?

Also from this post: Does the Model S have an OBD-II connector? - Page 2

I was at the Rockville Service Center today and asked hem about it. I was told that the car has an OBDII connector because it is required by law. However, I was told that it does nothing; that the only pins connected to the connector are ground and voltage.

The complete install instructions should be posted on Teslarati.com tonight. And we'll start taking preproduction orders tonight as well. In the meantime, they are accessible here:

Dropbox - Camera kit instructions.pdf

When you click on this link, you'll have a choice of downloading the pdf or adding to your Dropbox, if you have one.

I can't seem to download the instructions.

Great stuff. Looking through the detailed instructions now, looks very thorough so far.

Quick question: why hack off the metal camera mount wings? It looks like the entire metal bracket can be removed with the screws.

One further question: No easy way to auto-toggle between front/rear cameras? I know the hunt was on for a suitable wire. I assume nothing was found?

Just finished... parts list doesn't include the optional PosiTap. What is the wire gauge that's being tapped? Need that to select the correct PosiTap part.

Regrettably removing the screws removes the camera back and it can't be reassembled without the bracket.

There is a wire to toggle the front to rear when the car is shifted into reverse-- it's the lead to the parking lights that turns them on when the car is put into reverse. Haven't had time to track that down yet but will by the time we go into production.