Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front-rear camera touchscreen parking protection switch kit reservations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any progress on the rear reverse wire for auto switching?

Posted this earlier:

Thanks to SUPRKAR we know know that the reverse lamp wire comes from the body controller. This is located on the passenger side under the carpet. First we remove the side panel. This is the same panel you remove on the driver’s side to access the camera/touchscreen connections. After the panel is removed the carpet is pulled back, revealing the body controller cover and two large connectors. Find the grey connector and purple wire with green stripe. We’ve verified that this is the same wiring color at the reverse light itself. This wire is tapped and connected to the PCB SW2
terminal.

artsci: Other way to run camera cable and wire from frunk to camera switch kit instead for running the cable and wire under rubber door seal? Thanks

There are other ways to do this but they involve taking apart the frunk. Much more work and not that much better a solution.

Now up to 66 orders with the ordering deadline at midnight tomorrow, Saturday, April 5. All orders received before the deadline will qualify for the rebate.

Last edited:
We're stalled at 47 orders with no new ones for several days.
Can a post / ad be made so interested buyers don't have to thrawl through 47 and counting pages of this thread? With some concise info, or links to posts in this thread maybe.

I tried advertising this in a norwegian group of owners, but they were all just confused and dismissed the idea due to lack of information.

Please add me to the list. -- Let me know if I just need to sign up here or use your purchasing page.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, anyone in the Seattle area know of a reliable aftermarket shop they would trust with the install? Or perhaps get together for an install day? (While I am familiar with computer system building, my other handyman expertise stops with basic chicken roost making and light fixture installing...)

Please add me to the list. -- Let me know if I just need to sign up here or use your purchasing page.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, anyone in the Seattle area know of a reliable aftermarket shop they would trust with the install? Or perhaps get together for an install day? (While I am familiar with computer system building, my other handyman expertise stops with basic chicken roost making and light fixture installing...)

You should order on the purchase page. I'll confirm when received. There's really nothing technical about the installation - pretty normal stuff with wiring 12v systems. The camera switch PCB is plug and play.

So I think I finished up my Phase 1 design for a replacement camera bracket. Artsci asked me to make a brief post about my work.

Essentially, I don't want to cut or modify Tesla's camera. I discovered that we can completely replace the bracket Rich's instructions calls for cutting with a dremel as it easily removes with a couple screws (which Rick will include in the official instructions for easier cutting). This opens up the possibility to replace the bracket with one of our own design.

I picked up some digital calipers, learned SketchUp, and created a model of the "wing-less" camera bracket down to 0.1mm accuracy. I tried to do better, but I simply couldn't measure more accurately with the calipers I picked up. Hopefully that's enough. The link to my site below adds some more details about the process and provides the CAD files*. If you have a 3D printer and want to give it a shot, let me know. Otherwise, I believe Rick may try to have a few test parts printed, and assuming it goes well, they will be offered as an option if there's interest. They're not load-bearing so a plastic bracket should suffice, but our tests should give us a good idea.

Tesla Front Camera Bracket | Jason Nemeth

Model_S_Bracket_Phase1.png

I also plan a Phase 2 design. I'd like a completely reversible install. The goal of this design would be to build upon Phase 1 to develop a replacement bracket that eliminates the need for tape and glue to mount the camera to the bumper, while also allowing the camera to be tilted down slightly such that the front lower fascia is visible in the frame for perspective (like the rear camera). I have a couple ideas for how this might work (two described in the link above), but if you have any suggestions I'd love to hear them.

*As a note, I am providing the CAD files to the community free of charge for non-commercial use. Feel free to print or cut your own if you have the means. For commercial uses, please contact me to work something out. Honor system, guys.

I've figured out how to run the wire from the 12v reverse source on the passenger side to the PCB on the driver's side -- this is for automatically switching to the rear camera when the front camera is on during a back-up situation.

I'll post some photos as soon as I can, likely tonight. I was worried about this but it's a piece of cake.

Probably late in the game to mention ideas about the camera mount, but what the heck? Anyone thought about swapping out the lens, and pointing it at a small, close, concave mirror to
1 - restore wide angle of view
2 - protect camera lens a bit from direct exposure to front of car airstream and what it carries,
3 - fix image reversal
Something like what I have drawn (though placed better than the drawing) Note: beginning image courtesy North West Auto Salon.

camera front.jpg