Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front/rear tire mixup

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The tire company made a mistake and put the rear tires (275/45) on the front and the front tires (265/45) on the rear of our 2021 tesla x when we switched from snow tires back to all season (continental cross contact sport LX) in March 2022. The tires currently have 20k miles on them, expected life is 40k. We didn’t realize the mixup until now.

Both rear tires had wires showing on the inside edge and an uneven wear pattern. On our way to a different tire shop to get them replaced, one of them blew. The original tire shop that made the mixup is claiming this is normal wear and not due to the fact that they put the narrower front tires on the back and the wider rear tires on the front. Does anyone have experience/knowledge about this? They told me that teslas wear tires faster so it was normal wear. They said this without even seeing the tires.

Attachments

• DD934E62-DC57-4BFB-920E-B89FA8D7E4E6.jpeg
    DD934E62-DC57-4BFB-920E-B89FA8D7E4E6.jpeg
    439.8 KB · Views: 130
Hmm ...

I've no personal experience with a MX, but over 50 years of automotive experience (okay, some of that was subscriptions to Road & Track, Motor Trend, etc.). A FWD car may gain some benefit from wider front tires, but RWD definitely not. With AWD, you'd think all is even, but weight transfer will always put more burden on the rear tires. I have to agree that wider tires in the front will indeed cause uneven tire wear.

BUT!

That picture shows incredible wear on the edge, while the tread wear indicator is still not worn, so looks more like low pressure or maybe even tire hitting the fender than any kind of normal wear. Alignment okay? Been to the track?

Sure hope you don't use that tire company again! While their theory may be correct, THEY made the mistake ...

cj

Hmm ...

I've no personal experience with a MX, but over 50 years of automotive experience (okay, some of that was subscriptions to Road & Track, Motor Trend, etc.). A FWD car may gain some benefit from wider front tires, but RWD definitely not. With AWD, you'd think all is even, but weight transfer will always put more burden on the rear tires. I have to agree that wider tires in the front will indeed cause uneven tire wear.

BUT!

That picture shows incredible wear on the edge, while the tread wear indicator is still not worn, so looks more like low pressure or maybe even tire hitting the fender than any kind of normal wear. Alignment okay? Been to the track?

Sure hope you don't use that tire company again! While their theory may be correct, THEY made the mistake ...

cj

It's a uncorrectable (from the factory) alignment issue.

It's a uncorrectable (from the factory) alignment issue.
Yikes! Remind me to never buy a Model X!!

I got here by accident, presently M3SR+ and waiting on a MYP. I sure hope Model Y doesn't have this same problem (gulp). I just replaced the two rear tires on my M3 at 15,000 km. I do tend to (ahem) gas (potentiometer?) it a bit and stuff corners, but my tires didn't see that kind of wear pattern. I admit a bit feathered at the edges, but pretty much evenly flattened the wear indicators.

(that "premature" wear was not all ME ... my wife helped, lol)

cj

Yikes! Remind me to never buy a Model X!!

I got here by accident, presently M3SR+ and waiting on a MYP. I sure hope Model Y doesn't have this same problem (gulp). I just replaced the two rear tires on my M3 at 15,000 km. I do tend to (ahem) gas (potentiometer?) it a bit and stuff corners, but my tires didn't see that kind of wear pattern. I admit a bit feathered at the edges, but pretty much evenly flattened the wear indicators.

(that "premature" wear was not all ME ... my wife helped, lol)

cj

You and I both lol

I am noticing odd inner tire wear on the front of our 3, need to get it strung so I can check the alignment. Since it's only one tire my guess is it was just a bad alignment

From everything I have read the Model X as well as the Model S have a problem with the front suspension system. The design goes back to when the car was rear wheel drive. In changing to all wheel drive, they should have done something with the front U-Joint system. When the car suspension is in high, the U-Joints are at such a severe angle that wear can occur resulting in the shutter associated with acceleration.

This has been a problem since the Model X was introduced. The recommendation is to drive not in high but in low. In other words the suspension is not lifted and the car rides lower. This takes some of the pressure off the U-Joints. But guess what, the rear wheel suspension does not have enough adjustment so you get excessive wear on the inside of the tires. I have read where this can consume your rear tires within 10,000 miles.

As far as I know there is a fix where an aftermarket suspension add on allows for more adjustment to reduce the inside wear. The parts can run $1500 and then there is the install and alignment. Seems like a no win situation. So, your rear tires will wear on the insides whether they are the wider rears or the more narrow fronts. Hope that helps.

From everything I have read the Model X as well as the Model S have a problem with the front suspension system. The design goes back to when the car was rear wheel drive. In changing to all wheel drive, they should have done something with the front U-Joint system. When the car suspension is in high, the U-Joints are at such a severe angle that wear can occur resulting in the shutter associated with acceleration.

This has been a problem since the Model X was introduced. The recommendation is to drive not in high but in low. In other words the suspension is not lifted and the car rides lower. This takes some of the pressure off the U-Joints. But guess what, the rear wheel suspension does not have enough adjustment so you get excessive wear on the inside of the tires. I have read where this can consume your rear tires within 10,000 miles.

As far as I know there is a fix where an aftermarket suspension add on allows for more adjustment to reduce the inside wear. The parts can run $1500 and then there is the install and alignment. Seems like a no win situation. So, your rear tires will wear on the insides whether they are the wider rears or the more narrow fronts. Hope that helps.

Unrelated, but the blue on your NSX is beautiful!