Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front right tire rubbing through fender into wiring? PICS*

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I heard some rubbing when turning in reverse recently in my Model S. I investigated and saw my right front tire is rubbing on the inside plastic in the wheel well. It has been doing this long enough to wear through the plastic and into some sort of wiring.

I've been on hold with Tesla service for 20 minutes hoping for an appointment. According to the online service scheduling tool, appointments are 3-4 weeks out.

Does anyone have any information on what those cables are, or why this is happening?

I'm on the Tesla 21" Arachnid wheels with the Pilot SS wheels they come with. I've had them on for close to a year now. No recent work has been done to the car.
20181119_150946.jpg
20181119_150946.jpg 20181119_150946.jpg
20181119_150944.jpg

Attachments

• 20181119_150944.jpg
    20181119_150944.jpg
    270.8 KB · Views: 177
I know the answer to this one- it happened to me, The arachnids are staggered, you have the rear wheel on the front, look at the tire size, I'll bet it's the 265 vs the 245 on the front, the 265 should be on the rear.

I caught the error the first time I drove the car after the new tires were installed. simple fix, move the 245 to the front and the 265 to the rear. You should be able to do this yourself

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: Buddy and MP3Mike
I caught the error the first time I drove the car after the new tires were installed. simple fix, move the 245 to the front and the 265 to the rear. You should be able to do this yourself

But if Tesla installed them in the wrong place Tesla should fix it and replace any damaged components. He shouldn't have to move them himself. (Assuming he hasn't had someone else rotate the tires since they were installed.)

I know the answer to this one- it happened to me, The arachnids are staggered, you have the rear wheel on the front, look at the tire size, I'll bet it's the 265 vs the 245 on the front, the 265 should be on the rear.

Just check and the front tires are 245. 265 in the rears.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: outdoors and Buddy
@JPP is right, this is the high voltage power lines going into the HV DC to LW DC converter... no bueno....you need to call the 800 number and tell them that the insulation on a one gauge cable has worn down to the metal conductive material. Whatever you do, don't touch this area..... see page 8 in the link below

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default...16_Models_S_Emergency_Responders_Guide_en.pdf

I think this is exactly it. Thank you.

I will post up the fix and any other info I get.

• Informative
Reactions: Xenoilphobe
I got an appointment for 23 Nov, this Friday.

My main High Voltage Cable assembly was replaced several months ago by Tesla. Even though im at 52,000 miles, I will push for Tesla to cover this since they recently installed it (presumably incorrectly).

I’m with you. The wheel liner is very soft. If they installed the wire pushing hard against it, it would deform and get to where you are now.

• Informative
Reactions: dhanson865