Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front right turn signal stopped working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noticed the other day that the turn signal quit working in my front right headlight. I'm out of warranty and don't want to pay $1000+ for a new headlight assembly from Tesla, so I am looking at repairing it myself.

I'm wondering if this is something that anyone else has tried? I see that I can get a turn signal ballast for pretty cheap on ebay. I'm debating between doing just the ballast, or getting an entire headlight assembly.

Thoughts?

I had the same problem recently on our 2018 Model 3 - left front turn signal stopped working. When I found out the Service Center would charge $1,500 to replace the entire headlight assembly, I started researching the problem and potential solutions. I found I could buy a new headlight assy on eBay for under $200, and replace it myself, so I did that. It was fairly easy with the help of some YouTube videos, but did take 2-3 hours. The replacement did not work right away when I put it in. I had to "push' thru a software update to sync the new headlight assy with the computer. This is done via the "secret" service menu and was very simple once I learned how to access the service menu (again, YouTube). All worked great once this was done.

Knowing what I know now, I would have only replaced the turn signal "ballast" on the original headlight assembly. This part can be purchased on eBay for about $25, and is simple to replace. Removing the headlight assembly is still necessary, and pushing the software update will likely be required as well, but for $25 and a couple hours labor, you can save about $1,500, so well worth it.