TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Front scoops=Functional?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by gctseng, Jun 25, 2013.

1. gctseng

gctseng All around good guy

Hey all, Been driving around with the S for a couple of days and now trying to figure out the nitty gritty. One thing that I can't figure out is if the front scoops actually do anything. They seem to be blocked with a plastic cover, and I'm guessing the S doesn't need that much air for venting.

Anyone clear the air for me?

Attached Files:

2. DrComputer

DrComputer Member

Those are louvered doors that allow (or block) air from passing over the radiators for the cooling system. There are three radiators in the front of the car, one on each side behind the louvers and one in the center behind the nose cone. The louvers stay closed for better aerodynamics until the heat load dictates they open for maximum airflow.

3. Volker.Berlin

Volker.Berlin Member

I haven't seen them in action but it is said that those blinds open and close as required: Open to maximize cooling effect and close to optimize aerodynamics/maximize efficiency.

4. pete8314

pete8314 Vendor

you must live somewhere that's a bit chilly, mine are open most of the time at the moment (maybe not when I'm driving, but certainly every time I precool the car). Current interior temp: 133f.

5. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

Pete, Do yours open as a pair? Only one of mine opens.

6. gctseng

gctseng All around good guy

Ahh. Okay. It was about 7 am when I took that picture in Pasadena, so it was def still cold. The reason I ask is because I'm thinking of putting a parking sensor there and didn't want to plan on it off it was not feasible

7. William13

William13 Member

#7 William13, Jun 25, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2013
    One side is for battery heat pump. The other is for cabin heat pump. They may not work in synchrony

8. pete8314

pete8314 Vendor

I tried to get a photo, but by the time I got the car out of the garage, they'd both closed. William is right, sometimes I get 1 open, sometimes 2, I guess it's been hot lately (my cars sits outside all day long during the week), so both are always open at lunch and when I'm going home.

9. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

Thanks, I saw one side open with supercharging, and have never seen the other open.

10. SCW-Greg

SCW-Greg Active Member

What's the main radiator for, that's needs to be that big then? Motor and inverter cooling?

11. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Drive around on a hot day and then put the A/C on "Lo" and take a look, you'll see them both open.

12. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Interesting... I don't think I've ever seen mine closed. Gonna have to investigate more closely...

13. GasDoc

GasDoc Member

Here's a pic of a teardown showing the three radiators. I'll have to visit my car in the shop and take a close look at the parts to see if I can snap a pic of the louvre mechanism.

photo 1a.jpg