Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front seat a bit uncomfortable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
3. The gap between the side bolsters are too narrow, racing seats?

I noticed that my driver side seat started rubbing against the center console, and the seat doesn't feel as "snug" as when I bought the car 15 months ago. I measured the distance between the widest part of the bolsters (the stitching line), and the driver side is now 18.3" and the front passenger seat is 17".

I am wondering if the seat is widening because I sit in it a lot and I have a wide "frame". I didn't mind the original snugness, especially when actively driving.

I am not uncomfortable in the seat.

i too have the next-gen seats, and my IT bands scream every time i am in the car for more than an hour or so. This was never an issue in any of the previous, mostly ordinary cars i have had.

Are the multi-pattern black seats (now the base config in the MS) any better?

i too have the next-gen seats, and my IT bands scream every time i am in the car for more than an hour or so. This was never an issue in any of the previous, mostly ordinary cars i have had.

Are the multi-pattern black seats (now the base config in the MS) any better?

I don't think they're better. I borrowed a 100d for a morning and felt almost the same.

About a week after using the sacroease I realized it was not tall enough and so my shoulders were getting some vibration passed up through the chair. So pain started to take up residence in my upper back.

Suffice to say I bought a used BMW 650 Gran Coupe and am back to drinking Texas tea.... and these seats are comfortable.

About a week after using the sacroease I realized it was not tall enough and so my shoulders were getting some vibration passed up through the chair. So pain started to take up residence in my upper back.

Suffice to say I bought a used BMW 650 Gran Coupe and am back to drinking Texas tea.... and these seats are comfortable.

Oh, dear, I am sorry to hear that. Maybe you can get a refund if you are not satisfied with the sacroease.

my car before this was a F10 M5, with whatever the most expensive seats were. i think it's basically the same ones in the 650GC, with all adjustable thigh, lumbar, flank, etc. they were the most freaking comfortable seats i've ever had in a car, and that's including MB, porsche, and jag. it was truly special, to have that kind of comfort, power, and of course, cool air blowing on my ass from below.

love the model s. but the seats are one of the most uncomfortable ever made. i have the regular seats, but it's not much different from the next gens in the loaners i've had. i keep playing with my damn seats every day because there isn't a perfect position. either my right knee is hitting the corner of the screen, or just dangling there aimlessly. thigh support would go a LONG way to help. at this point i'm going back and forth on whether i should try the evannex seat covers, mainly because it is so padded and thick it basically changes the shape of the whole seat.

my car before this was a F10 M5, with whatever the most expensive seats were. i think it's basically the same ones in the 650GC, with all adjustable thigh, lumbar, flank, etc. they were the most freaking comfortable seats i've ever had in a car, and that's including MB, porsche, and jag. it was truly special, to have that kind of comfort, power, and of course, cool air blowing on my ass from below.

love the model s. but the seats are one of the most uncomfortable ever made. i have the regular seats, but it's not much different from the next gens in the loaners i've had. i keep playing with my damn seats every day because there isn't a perfect position. either my right knee is hitting the corner of the screen, or just dangling there aimlessly. thigh support would go a LONG way to help. at this point i'm going back and forth on whether i should try the evannex seat covers, mainly because it is so padded and thick it basically changes the shape of the whole seat.

*THIS*

I had an F10 550 before this... the trauma of the N63 engine wasn't nice, but the seats were spectacular.

THREE days after buying the 6er, with the comfort sport seats with cooling and zillion way support, no more back pain.

The sacro ease was good, but I lost side bolsters and upper back was no supported. Not compromising on my ride.

I also find my Next Gen seats uncomfortable. I still find the standard leather seats on my MS40 are more comfortable and I regret paying extra for NG seats on my MS70.

I drive 3-4 hours a day; after a few months I started developing lower back pain.

I happened upon a cheap solution; a $40 molded plastic insert called a "Backjoy" at a BedBathBeyond. The back pain wemt away and the NexGen seats are more comfortable (slightly unsightly fix, however easy to remove and throw in the back).
9862115815868p

My Next Gen seats were also rubing against the center console and start making a creaking sound after a while. Tesla service applied a 3M type lubricant which helped a lot; however it started coming back 7 mos later...

Last edited:
How-girls-react-to-the-Tesla-S-P85D-launch.jpg

These girls are on their way to sciatica-city.

For me it was 150 miles a day, that's what did me in.

I love the car, but am tortured by it's treatment of me.

I'm tortured by the ridiculous inconsistency of the 405 freeway merged with THE SEATS... the Tesla next gen seats were designed by Torquemada.

Tesla design idiot #1 - "Hey, lets make a seat that has no firmness in the upper back area!"
Tesla design idiot #2 - "I went to FIDM, but my uncle is an orthopedic surgeon, yep, ergonomics checks out"
Tesla design idiot #3 - "Sounds legit, ship it"
Tesla design idiot #4 - "Lumbar support is a steel rod, but who needs comfort?"
Tesla chief idiot #1 - "I used to be a mortician and a dog groomer."

Back pain from Tesla seats is real, and I was about to payout $17k in negative equity to be rid of the next gen seat torture device. I was at an enemy dealership buying a $75,000 v8 because of these dang Tesla seats, actually owned it for a day...

Can't blame me, it's a nice toy.

image.php

... and I didn't lose any money on this deal.

I know I'm sad, but it's not about me right? Think of the children and the future, it's about them... oh and it's about you and why you're reading this thread.

The point here is that I read the post above by @David29 and as far fetched as it seemed, I decided to give it a shot and pay $290 for what looks like a stadium bleacher seat... THIS... this Sacro-Ease seat really works...

51QStHwhTiL._SY355_.jpg

... I got the black one. It fits into the seat, and at least on my black leather is unnoticable until you sit on it. I was still skeptical, I'm in a grown up baby seat driving the car I was so desperate to salvage my love for. You sit on it, and it's comfortable.

But guess what? The Sacro-ease seat actually SUPPORTS your lower and middle back where the next gen seat just caves in the middle like a spongy rollaway bed mattress. This seat pads your a55 from the persistant bumpy bump that goes with Tesla "performance" suspension. I still feel it, but it carries some of the shock into the seat and up the metal frame.

If you're about to sell your Tesla because the seats are crap, and you know they are crap, and I'm sure you're not getting the money you want for your trade in, buy one of these and try it out for a few days.

Here, here is the link... Amazon.com: Sacro-Ease Visco-Elastic Foam Back and Seat Cushion with Memory Foam: Home & Kitchen

And you can go back to loving your Tesla again.

Don't expect an amazing marketing schpiel from the Sacro people, looks like a company run by some nice old people who still mail letters to each other, but it's legitimately great product.

Let me know if you want pictures of it in place, I'm just too lazy to go out to the garage while typing this drivel.

Thanks @David29

YOU ROCK.

I guess one solution would be to get a Model X... the seats are oh-so-comfy. (Of course the MS should also have good seats). As I understand it the MX seats are made in California (Bay area?), so it seems like it would not be hard to put them in the MS as well.

Reactions: JAFO
I would welcome a comfortable seat. The next gens are the most uncomfortable seat I've ever had. Tesla should realize there's a good percentage of us owners who aren't into super sporty performance and prefer comfort.

Currently on a road trip and drove with a pillow behind me to make the trip somewhat comfortable.

we really need to start a petition on this - i love my end of 2016 tesla model s except for the nextgen front seats. Too concave and too bolstered on the sides causing shoulder and back pain.

I'd gladly pay for an upgradeable seat.

Good grief, this is really depressing to read. I'm close to ordering an S and I'm wondering if anyone likes these seats. I'm short, 5'7", so I'm wondering if I'd have different feelings and if complaints tend to come from taller drivers.

Good grief, this is really depressing to read. I'm close to ordering an S and I'm wondering if anyone likes these seats. I'm short, 5'7", so I'm wondering if I'd have different feelings and if complaints tend to come from taller drivers.

The current "Premium" seats are (IMO) the best Tesla have offered for the MS and are very comfortable.

Why not ask for an extended test drive and see what you think?

Reactions: David29 and Ken7
The forums tend to concentrate and magnify complaints. We have experienced several Model S loaners and my entire family finds the next gen seats to be very comfortable. I am 5'8", my wife is 5'7", and my son is 5'11" and we all love them. My son commented that the side bolsters do a better job of holding you in the seat on twisty roads when dad drives fast (who me.... drive fast in a loaner??).

• Informative
Reactions: Ken7 and Dr. J
I have low back issues. Some days are better than others. The seats don't seem to make my back problems worse, but if there is any discomfort issues it would only be in the lumbar area for me. I frequently push my hips/low back into the padded area of the lower part of the backrest, trying to break it in. There's a little too much padding down there for me. I also adjust the lumbar support frequently when my back is bothering me. That helps. On good back days I have no issues. It's my lame backs fault, not Tesla's (fanboy alert). I drove over 15 hrs eclipse weekend and was comfortable in my next generation seats. I'm 5'6", 165lbs.