Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front seat a bit uncomfortable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

RDoc

2021 Prerefresh Model S
Aug 24, 2012
Boston North Shore
I find the front seat back to be a bit uncomfortable even after messing around with the settings a lot. The problem is that there's a harder section across the seat just above the lumbar support and below the recessed area in the top half or so of the seat. For me, that hits my back too high. It's not terrible, but on long trips it becomes annoying.

Any thoughts?

Same issue... I think my shoulders are a bit broad as well. Feels like the Recaros in my old air cooled Porsche squeezing me and not providing the right support.

In a prior car, I had to set the seat more upright in order to relieve this pressure. I've not yet found a place where I'm truly comfortable.

So are the "premium" you guys talk about the ones in the middle pic below (the "black leather seats")?

I've only done a test drive in next gen seats, but I don't think I did a good enough job moving the lumbar up/down to get it to feel great.

Which seats would you guys suggest?

upload_2016-10-6_17-9-16.png

upload_2016-10-6_17-8-30.png

upload_2016-10-6_17-9-54.png

So are the "premium" you guys talk about the ones in the middle pic below (the "black leather seats")?

I've only done a test drive in next gen seats, but I don't think I did a good enough job moving the lumbar up/down to get it to feel great.

Which seats would you guys suggest?

View attachment 197693

View attachment 197692
View attachment 197694

No. The premium seats are only available on the performance models at this time. Click on P100D or 90D and then P90D in order to reveal them. They are basically the same seats as in the model X. They are very soft and comfortable with less side bolstering than the Next Gens. Black/Tan come in the ventilated variety, Ultra White does not. I don't think the images on the ordering website reflect what the seats actually look like.

Here are some pictures of them: New 'Premium' seats for P90D and P100D

No. The premium seats are only available on the performance models at this time. Click on P100D or 90D and then P90D in order to reveal them. They are basically the same seats as in the model X. They are very soft and comfortable with less side bolstering than the Next Gens. Black/Tan come in the ventilated variety, Ultra White does not. I don't think the images on the ordering website reflect what the seats actually look like.

Here are some pictures of them: New 'Premium' seats for P90D and P100D

Gotcha. Makes sense.

I find the front seat back to be a bit uncomfortable even after messing around with the settings a lot. The problem is that there's a harder section across the seat just above the lumbar support and below the recessed area in the top half or so of the seat. For me, that hits my back too high. It's not terrible, but on long trips it becomes annoying.

Any thoughts?
I have the same issue. It's been 3 months and I am still not able to find a good seating position setting with my Model S. I never had issued with my lexus and other cars that i owned in the past. Any suggestions? I just feel that the seat is very hard above the lumbar support. Also, if I extend lumbar support, i feel there is a gap (unsupported area) between my lumbar area and hip. Did you find any good setting?

I love the car... but I HATE the next gen seats.

I have discovered back pain driving this pig over the last year, and nobody seems to have a consistent story.

Seems to me that...

1. The head rest pokes forward about an inch too far.
2. The crease between the seat flat and the lower back support sags, not sure what that's about.
3. The gap between the side bolsters are too narrow, racing seats?
4. The lumbar support doesn't go high enough.
5. The upper seat is concave, pinches my shoulders forward and tilts my head forward.
6. The leather is substandard.
7. Drivers seat is in an odd position so it rubs against the center box thing making a squeaking noise unless you lube it.

I do have a stupid long torso and short legs, nothing else fit me stock why would a $100k golf cart?

Tried a bunch of pillows and memory foam, adjusted the ergos every which way, but nothing worked so well as borrowing a cheap BMW 3 series for a week and finding I no longer had back pain. Yes, crappy 4 cylinder Beamer was more comfortable to drive.

On the other side of the story, listening to the BMW n20 donk rattle about makes me wonder why we put up with ice cars so long. So primitive.

So now I'm in a pickle, is this seat situation a lost cause? I'm about ready to buy a panamera or six series and wait until EVs evolve a little more.

... first world problems.

Reactions: cybergates
I agree with the seats being uncomfortable. I commute 60 miles each way and constantly had to adjust my seat settings. Plus I had the textile interior which probably didn't help much.

My Prius plug in is definitely more comfortable but the MS is much more fun to drive!!

Seats are very personal things, I find. In my case, I have had back trouble for years, so I tend to be very fussy about seats (not only in cars, but furniture as well). It is not always apparent what makes a good seat, or what will make an uncomfortable seat better for a particular person.

Before my Tesla, I drove Mercedes Benzes for decades, several different models, and never had one with seats I truly liked, despite their vaunted design supposedly created by "orthopedic surgeons," as the ads used to say. My solution was to get an after-market seat insert that gave me more padding and had a proper lumbar curve. The ones I have had (I have had several over the years) are by Sacro-Ease -- here is a link to the Amazon page for them: Amazon.com: sacro ease

My Model S (which has the standard leather seats, not the next-gen seats) is no exception to my discomfort, unfortunately, so I got a new Sacro-Ease for it, which helps me to tolerate long rides in the car. (I do find I can occasionally tolerate using my Model S without the Sacro-Ease for a while, and once made a 3-hour trip without the cushion so that I could use the seat heater. But I always end up going back to using the extra cushion after a while.)

My spouse, who normally is not at all fussy about car seats, also finds our Model S driver's seat to be uncomfortable, but says the front passenger seat is better. So it could be that there is some detail of the driver seat's construction that catches us just wrong.

Before I ordered my Model S, however, I had rented one at the San Francisco airport, to try it our for a day. The one I got was a very old Model S -- a late 2012 P85. I was in and out of the car over the span of 24 hours, with a couple of long drives. My back never bothered me in that car. Maybe it would have if I had driven it for longer stretches, not sure. So I had sort of hoped that the seats in my 2015 Model S would also be comfortable for me, based upon my rental experience. But they seem to be too hard on my butt. (In my case, I do not seem to have the backrest issues that the OP is describing, but all the components work together on one's spine, so it might be too easy to say that the backrest is OK for me.)

I tried the second generation seats on one of my test drives before ordering, and did not care for the snug bolstering. But I cannot say that I gave them a good comparison test.

Also, i recently got a Model X loaner when my car was in for service. I drove it a fair amount over the span of 30 hours or so, and did not like the Model X seats. Initially I drove in the bare seats. But after a while, I was sore and had to use my Sacro-Ease in the Model X as well.

So, people who find their seats to be uncomfortable might try the type of after-market seat I have, or any of several others available. I got mine at a Relax-the Back store, which is a chain. They helped me choose the right model for the car, and would have exchanged it if it did not work out for me.

Another alternative I used once on a previous car, with marginal success, is to have an upholsterer rebuild the seat. They might be able to adjust the padding to suit your comfort. (In my case, I was trying to rehabilitate an old car's seat that was starting to sag.)

Oh, and as for BMWs, once many years ago, I actually bought a used BMW 5-series seat and installed it in my mid-size Benz. It was better, but I could never get it positioned quite right and I was worried about the structural integrity of how I attached it, so I removed it. I tried after-market Recaro seats, too, but found them, to be too hard.

Good luck to anyone who is having seat comfort issues. There is more art than science to being comfortable, I suspect, and despite trying for many, many years, i have yet to find the secret!

Got my Model S yesterday. I love everything except the seat, which I find hard on the bottom and most importantly lacking thigh support. (I'm 6' 3", and mostly legs.) My last car (Hyundai Genesis) had a seat bottom extender for more thigh support, which was great, and I already miss it. Thanks for the advice David29. I'm going to see if I can find something at Relax-the-Back that might help. Any other suggestions welcome.

Not sure how their seats will compare but I think it looks like a corvette in many respects. I do think the back looks sleeker than the vet. Notice the photos don't show any side view mirrors though?

As for the first Tesla seats we sat in when looking to buy (not sure what version they were), I found them firm and definitely sport car feeling (not much cushioning). Told my husband I didn't think I was going to enjoy riding in them, especially over a long trip. We ordered our car with the PUP when it had the ventilated seats and later sat in an X and an S with them and despite all the cons I've seen mentioned about them, I found them to be very comfortable to sit in. For us, feel it was a good time to buy when we did since they discontinued them. Fingers crossed I feel the same way come next Friday when the car is ready.

Last edited:
How-girls-react-to-the-Tesla-S-P85D-launch.jpg

These girls are on their way to sciatica-city.

For me it was 150 miles a day, that's what did me in.

I love the car, but am tortured by it's treatment of me.

I'm tortured by the ridiculous inconsistency of the 405 freeway merged with THE SEATS... the Tesla next gen seats were designed by Torquemada.

Tesla design idiot #1 - "Hey, lets make a seat that has no firmness in the upper back area!"
Tesla design idiot #2 - "I went to FIDM, but my uncle is an orthopedic surgeon, yep, ergonomics checks out"
Tesla design idiot #3 - "Sounds legit, ship it"
Tesla design idiot #4 - "Lumbar support is a steel rod, but who needs comfort?"
Tesla chief idiot #1 - "I used to be a mortician and a dog groomer."

Back pain from Tesla seats is real, and I was about to payout $17k in negative equity to be rid of the next gen seat torture device. I was at an enemy dealership buying a $75,000 v8 because of these dang Tesla seats, actually owned it for a day...

Can't blame me, it's a nice toy.

image.php

... and I didn't lose any money on this deal.

I know I'm sad, but it's not about me right? Think of the children and the future, it's about them... oh and it's about you and why you're reading this thread.

The point here is that I read the post above by @David29 and as far fetched as it seemed, I decided to give it a shot and pay $290 for what looks like a stadium bleacher seat... THIS... this Sacro-Ease seat really works...

51QStHwhTiL._SY355_.jpg

... I got the black one. It fits into the seat, and at least on my black leather is unnoticable until you sit on it. I was still skeptical, I'm in a grown up baby seat driving the car I was so desperate to salvage my love for. You sit on it, and it's comfortable.

But guess what? The Sacro-ease seat actually SUPPORTS your lower and middle back where the next gen seat just caves in the middle like a spongy rollaway bed mattress. This seat pads your a55 from the persistant bumpy bump that goes with Tesla "performance" suspension. I still feel it, but it carries some of the shock into the seat and up the metal frame.

If you're about to sell your Tesla because the seats are crap, and you know they are crap, and I'm sure you're not getting the money you want for your trade in, buy one of these and try it out for a few days.

Here, here is the link... Amazon.com: Sacro-Ease Visco-Elastic Foam Back and Seat Cushion with Memory Foam: Home & Kitchen

And you can go back to loving your Tesla again.

Don't expect an amazing marketing schpiel from the Sacro people, looks like a company run by some nice old people who still mail letters to each other, but it's legitimately great product.

Let me know if you want pictures of it in place, I'm just too lazy to go out to the garage while typing this drivel.

Thanks @David29

YOU ROCK.

The point here is that I read the post above by @David29 and as far fetched as it seemed, I decided to give it a shot and pay $290 for what looks like a stadium bleacher seat... THIS... this Sacro-Ease seat really works...

51QStHwhTiL._SY355_.jpg

... I got the black one. It fits into the seat, and at least on my black leather is unnoticable until you sit on it. I was still skeptical, I'm in a grown up baby seat driving the car I was so desperate to salvage my love for. You sit on it, and it's comfortable.

But guess what? The Sacro-ease seat actually SUPPORTS your lower and middle back where the next gen seat just caves in the middle like a spongy rollaway bed mattress. This seat pads your a55 from the persistant bumpy bump that goes with Tesla "performance" suspension. I still feel it, but it carries some of the shock into the seat and up the metal frame.

If you're about to sell your Tesla because the seats are crap, and you know they are crap, and I'm sure you're not getting the money you want for your trade in, buy one of these and try it out for a few days.

Here, here is the link... Amazon.com: Sacro-Ease Visco-Elastic Foam Back and Seat Cushion with Memory Foam: Home & Kitchen

@David29

YOU ROCK.

$300 for a seat cushion? Does it have an iPad built in or something?

Reactions: JAFO
$300 for a seat cushion? Does it have an iPad built in or something?

I know, that also was my reaction - way too pricey.

But it's a steel frame seat and probably double the price it should be. I did not find anything else out there that was this precise. No straps, it doesn't move sideways, and the hinges don't dig into the seat. It also folds backwards quite easily if I recline the seat, and comes back to upright when I bring the it back up using the power controls on the seat.

32697660873_bcc065b6ac_z.jpg

Amazon.com: Sacro-Ease Visco-Elastic Foam Back and Seat Cushion with Memory Foam: Home & Kitchen

My only gripes are, can't find a matching leather cover set and I lose some of the side bolstering. One review suggests putting a towel underneath if you have brighter seats because it might stain.